Official Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami could classify as a thriller-romance novel. The author combines mystery with love to keep readers spellbound from start to finish.

Welcome to the races! This is a race to recover a missing, and yet unknown, da Vinci painting. Leading the way is Angela. She works as an intern at the Getty Art Museum. Recently, she has been having dreams and visions related to a mysterious painting. The second participant is the director of the museum. He uses his contacts with the mafia to advance towards the prize. Enter Alex Caine, a detective, who has been contracted by a German billionaire. His assignment is to clear his client’s family name of any association with the painting and the Nazis. Who will be the first to uncover further clues, or even, the painting itself? Let the races begin!

The setting spans three distinct time periods. Angela and Alex live and work in Los Angeles. Angela’s time travel episodes transport her to WW II Germany and also to Italy at the time of da Vinci. With each journey into the past, she acquires further details about the undisclosed location of the missing painting. A considerable portion of the narrative takes place in Florence, Italy. The descriptions of the museums and the city are utterly amazing.

The pacing of the book captures the reader’s interest. New information is shared gradually, maintaining the suspense. The tension of various characters converging on the location of the missing painting increases throughout the story. The omniscient third-person point of view reveals the plans of each of the runners as they race toward the finish line. Fascinating snippets of information about the Medici family add flavor to the narrative.

The change of focus, from unraveling the mystery to showcasing the increasing affection between Angela and Alex, was disappointing. The intimate scenes were well done but increased in frequency. What started out as a mystery about a missing da Vinci, slowly shifted focus to a love story. I also felt that some of the conversations were unreal, especially during the times Angela traveled back to Germany.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot had me absolutely intrigued. Nevertheless, the unreal conversations and numerous editing flaws impeded the reading flow. Readers who enjoy historical fiction will breeze through this book. Those who prefer romance novels will also race through this book.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, thanks for the awesome review. It is nice to learn that the book has a mix of both historical and romance genres. I would have also loved if the author would have managed to stick to one lane either the historical or the romance genre. Nevertheless, the combination will work well for some who do not like reading books that major on one area. I love historical fiction and I hope that I might be able to read this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

A historical thriller romance. Interesting!
I'm not sure if I wouldn't prefer a more focussed genre.
Either way, it sounds like quite an exciting read.
Thanks so much for the review! :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Great detailed filled review. I have plans to read this book. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the pace of the book and the change of plot from a mystery to a romance. This is kind of a let down but I will still read. Hopefully, I won't be too disappointed in the end. A romance story is ok in a novel, but when the main focus on solving a mystery shifts towards the development of a romance, to me weakens the suspense in the book. Because you were able to still give a rating of 3 out of 4, I will read keep an open mind while reading.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I started out thinking that this one sounded quite intriguing. But then you said the number of intimate scenes started increasing, and you definitely lost me. I'm really not looking for a romance, but the rest of it sounds good. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Kibetious wrote: 22 May 2018, 03:40 Wow, thanks for the awesome review. It is nice to learn that the book has a mix of both historical and romance genres. I would have also loved if the author would have managed to stick to one lane either the historical or the romance genre. Nevertheless, the combination will work well for some who do not like reading books that major on one area. I love historical fiction and I hope that I might be able to read this.
If you like both of those genres, you will love it!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 May 2018, 07:40 Well, I started out thinking that this one sounded quite intriguing. But then you said the number of intimate scenes started increasing, and you definitely lost me. I'm really not looking for a romance, but the rest of it sounds good. Thanks.
That was the biggest disappointment of the book. The rest was top-notch!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh wow, thanks for the great review! This certainly seems really exciting, and I'm definitely tempted to pick it up!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the idea that it includes time travel. It sounds fast paced and interesting.
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

:techie-studyingbrown:
Kudos!!!
Mixed adventure and love is a "must read"
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

When I saw this one is up for book of the month next month I really wanted to read it. I looooove Dan Brown and this reminded me of The Da Vinci Code. I can get past the points that led you to drop a star. I think it'll be worth it. I'm surprised to see a review for this because Amazon has a publication date of June 1. I'm jealous you got to review it :)
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

So there is time travel involved in the "race" to find the painting? How are they transported? Is it a mind or body type experience?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Adventure, mystery, and art together in 1 package. This one is definitely a page-turner. Very good review.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

I was pretty curious about this one (I've been seeing it in the sidebar on this site), that's really interesting that it's that multiple-time-period type of historical fiction. I've read maybe one other book that did this, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely not what I expected from the title of this book, though. Thank you for this review, it's very helpful.
Favouristic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Favouristic »

Thanks for ur preview, it helps one have a little idea about the book. It interests me to read how mystery ,love and adventure acts together in one book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”