Official Review: Bermuda Connection by Robert Rapoza

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Official Review: Bermuda Connection by Robert Rapoza

Post by DancingLady »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bermuda Connection" by Robert Rapoza.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bermuda Connection by Robert Rapoza is a science fiction novel and the second Nick Randall book. This book surprised me in many ways. I was not aware that it was the second book in a series when I started reading it. The adventures in the previous book are mentioned, but I did not feel I was missing any information vital to understanding this book. As it turns out, the Bermuda Triangle is not the focus of this story.

The opening chapter of the book sets the stage for the intense adventures to come. Jamie Edmunds experiences yet another alien abduction in her bedroom at night while Nick Randall has the same experience in a dream. The next day, Randall, an archaeologist, narrowly escapes an assassination attempt thanks to the help of a mysterious man. Later, his son John, a researcher at Alpha Genetics, also barely escapes with his life. After some internet sleuthing, Nick locates Jamie in Hamilton, Bermuda. There, they team up with a local underwater archaeologist to recover the Cosmic Rosetta Stone. Nick, his son John, daughter Sam, and Jamie then embark on a wild adventure to locate a secret alien base that takes them to several remote parts of the world. But they are far from the only ones seeking this base and the technology it may have.

I enjoyed the fast pace of this book. I don't read a lot of science fiction but was drawn to this book because the Bermuda Triangle fascinates me. There are many complex twists and turns that kept my interest high. In fact, it was hard to put this book down because I couldn't wait to find out how it ended. I found the description of Jamie's alien abductions eerily similar to accounts I have heard from real people. This gave the book an additional element of plausibility that made it scary but more relatable. I like how the author seems to have drawn inspiration from both history and conspiracy theories in crafting this plot. While I am not a conspiracy theorist, I find many of these theories interesting to consider. This too gave the book a stronger feeling of realism since some of the ideas have existed long before this book was written.

In my opinion, the primary weakness of this book was the quantity of life and death situations the main characters survive. At first, the exciting chase scenes seemed to propel the story onward and keep me on the edge of my seat. Toward the latter part of the book, it began to seem unrealistic that all the main characters had yet again survived, especially when so many other background characters did not. I also felt that Jamie's character was not developed as well as I would have liked. Since she was introduced in the opening of the book and appeared to be a very important character, I was surprised that I still felt like I didn't know her very well at the end.

In spite of these weaknesses, this was a generally well-written book. I found only a few very minor typos that did not in any way detract from the readability of the story. I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars because it was very good, but I saw room for improvement in the balance of action scenes and character development. I recommend this book to fans of science fiction, adventure, and conspiracy theories.

Bermuda Connection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DancingLady's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! I love books which have scifi and mystery twists, and even better that it is fast-paced.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. An alien abduction and an alien base? I could see how the protagonist escaping so many life and death situations would seem a bit unrealistic. Nevertheless, the fast pace of this one makes me definitely want to look into at the very least! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I'm wondering how the Bermuda Triangle is incorporated since you say it's not the story's main focus? Is it incorporated at all? You don't give mention to it in your summary so I'm curious!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

What an exciting premise! Your line about the fact that the main characters weren't the only ones after the base and the technology gave me chills. As an avid X-Files junkie, I think I'll have to check this one out despite its flaws. Thanks for the review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

This book sounds like something I would like. Thank you for the amazing review!
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

NL Hartje wrote: 22 May 2018, 11:01 I'm wondering how the Bermuda Triangle is incorporated since you say it's not the story's main focus? Is it incorporated at all? You don't give mention to it in your summary so I'm curious!
The first archaeological site is under water off of Bermuda. Other than that, the triangle isn’t really a factor. You’ll have to read the book to understand fully what the title means. I was surprised by the direction of the story, given the title, but it wasn’t a bad surprise, just not what I was expecting and probably not what a lot of other readers would expect.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like the sound of an intense and fast-paced adventure. I'm also glad that the book could stand alone even though it is second in a series. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The topic of aliens and their abduction of the human race is very big in today's world as there are many accounts given by real-life abductees. Thank you for your detailed review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Thanks for your detailed review! This sounds like an interesting science fiction novel, just a little light on character development and perhaps unrealistically heavy on action scenes.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”