Official Review: Inn Death Do Us Part by Haria Carry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Inn Death Do Us Part by Haria Carry

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inn Death Do Us Part" by Haria Carry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At times, the police force is severely handicapped when it comes to solving mysteries. Sometimes it is difficult not to take matters into your own hands, especially when you can't ignore your intuition and your adventurous friends are more than willing to help you solve a murder case.

This is the dilemma that Zoe Marshburn faces in the novel Inn Death Do Us Part. Written by Haria Carry, this is the first book in the Beaufort Inn Mystery Series. The mystery begins when one of Zoe’s guests at her holiday inn turns up dead in the woods with a bullet hole in his chest. The local sheriff writes off his death as an accident and pins the blame on local deer hunters. However, Zoe and her friends believe that Barry Prescott was murdered. With the help of a wild heron, a few loyal dogs, and incredible computer hacking skills, they discover the culprit’s true identity. Unfortunately, they put themselves in grave danger when the murderer returns to Beaufort.

I really enjoyed this mystery story although it is not a fast-paced tale. The main characters are not professional detectives, but are older women and men who enjoy socializing and hanging out with their pets. Despite their ages and seemingly mundane lives, the author wrote distinct and lively personalities for each of them. For instance, Melissa was a sarcastic tease, Jake was the hunky boyfriend, Lee and George were the bickering spouses, and Zoe was an intuitive sleuth who loved cooking. In my opinion, the characterization was excellent.

As someone who likes nature, I liked that the setting of the story was set in a rural area. The author also incorporated animals in the story such as Gus, the wild heron, and several dogs which had a big part to play in catching the culprit. I truly believe that the author likes dogs since all of the main characters owned various breeds of dogs, took them on trips, and spent a lot of time enjoying their company.

Despite the excellent storyline and lively characters, I noticed that there were too many scenarios that involved food. Some cooking descriptions were so detailed that they almost became recipes. I understand that Zoe was someone who liked cooking, but since this did not directly correlate to the plot, fewer food scenarios would have been better. Odd expressions were also used in the book, such as ‘hot pockets are the cat’s meow,’ and ‘least until someone ponies up.’ I did not like these because they seemed out of place, almost as if the author was trying too hard to make the dialogue interesting.

I noticed a few grammatical errors, but they were mainly typos. The rating I would give to this book is 3 out of 4 stars because it contained all of the elements of a mystery story, it uniquely incorporated animals, and the characterization was outstanding. I deducted a star because of the excessive cooking scenarios and odd expressions, which in my opinion, did not improve the story in any way. This book is ideal for light reading and will mostly appeal to housewives and older women who enjoy simple mystery tales.

Inn Death Do Us Part
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a light, entertaining read. The creative use of animals, as well as the cooking, could add interest to the story. I enjoy stories where the mundane is made interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

Thanks for such an honest and thorough review. Sounds like an interesting book, although I think the detailed cooking scenarios would annoy me. I read a book that had the same issue and I found it so irritating and frustrating. Your review was really good!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the sincere review - it does sound like an engaging read. With more focus on the main plot, it seems like the book will be much better. Still, I am glad that you enjoyed it!
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I don't think I would like to read the book because of a couple of things you mentioned it contains, but I deeply appreciate your sincerity and honesty in the review. Thanks for this.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Fuzzy456 wrote: 23 May 2018, 08:17 Thanks for such an honest and thorough review. Sounds like an interesting book, although I think the detailed cooking scenarios would annoy me. I read a book that had the same issue and I found it so irritating and frustrating. Your review was really good!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my review - I felt bad about mentioning the cooking scenarios, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who is put off by those. I think if the storyline was about chefs, or deliberate poisons in food, then it would be ok.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

stacie k wrote: 22 May 2018, 20:03 This sounds like a light, entertaining read. The creative use of animals, as well as the cooking, could add interest to the story. I enjoy stories where the mundane is made interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Thanks for commenting :)
I like when an author changes up a simple story or adds something unique to the plot, it really makes all the difference.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Can you have too many scenarios involving food? :D
No seriously, it's possible the author's looking for a winning formula, and maybe s/he is over-egging the pudding a bit here. Still you enjoyed it, and it does sound like a fun light read.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”