Official Review: Night of a Thousand Whispers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: Night of a Thousand Whispers

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Night of a Thousand Whispers" by Howard Kiel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Perhaps it was seven thousand miles from where the action really was, but there was more than enough crime to write about in Sydney, and that was her forte.”

Night of a Thousand Whispers by Howard Kiel is a novel that chronicles the experiences of an investigative journalist (Kate Walton) who is sassy, beautiful, and fearless. One night, Kate receives a mysterious phone call that intrigues her. As a result, she calls her friend to come with her for backup to meet the caller. The caller gives her some explosive information that “has international repercussions”. She is then aided by her friend and an unlikely alliance as she attempts to solve the mystery handed to her by the stranger. Will she succeed before it's too late?

This book is for young adults and adults who are intrigued by crime fiction. It is a very intense read and it is impossible to put the book down until the very end. Perhaps in the case of crime fiction, the most important element of the novel is the plot, which is, in this case, quite interesting. The structure of the novel is very polished and it is clear that the author has done his research when it comes to understanding the nuances of the investigative world. The whole narrative is very unified and coherent. Despite looking for errors and loopholes, I was unable to find them.

Another important element of the novel that has a major impact on the reader is the characterisation. In this particular novel, the author has created very realistic and grounded characters whose lives are weighed down by their personal pasts. The author has done a splendid job with the character of the protagonist. I found Kate charming and irresistibly unforgettable. She is the kind of protagonist that every story needs. However, there was an absence of other intense characters who could support her narrative with their voices. There could’ve definitely been stronger characterisation in the novel.

Another very important aspect is the writing style of the author. I really like the way that the author has built a beautiful narrative, even though sometimes it seems a bit fragmented. The reader might feel lost in a couple of places, but other than that, the writing style really enhanced the beauty of the book. Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have taken off a point because I feel that the author could’ve done more work on the characterisation, but I strongly urge lovers of crime fiction to read this book.

Night of a Thousand Whispers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

International repercussions you say, hmmm! I wonder what it may turn out to be. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
emmkus
Currently Reading: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America (book one)
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by emmkus »

Awesome review. Too much suspense I can't wait to start reading.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love it when books have almost no grammatical errors, as it shows that the novel is something that is precious to the author and editor due to the amount of effort put in. It is a pity that the characters were not well-developed. Thanks for the review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This crime thriller sounds intriguing! I'm happy to hear about the excellence in editing. That seems hard to find. I would be interested to read this book despite the weak characterization. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Ooh! Nicely written review! An "international ... mystery handed to her by a stranger." I'm hooked. Now I've got to know what it is. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think I would need a few more details to decide if this one is for me or not.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I like a good mystery. Perhaps I might read this, if only to quench my curiosity. Thank you for the great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 19 May 2018, 09:31 The structure of the novel is very polished and it is clear that the author has done his research when it comes to understanding the nuances of the investigative world. The whole narrative is very unified and coherent. ...Another important element of the novel that has a major impact on the reader is the characterisation. In this particular novel, the author has created very realistic and grounded characters whose lives are weighed down by their personal pasts. The author has done a splendid job with the character of the protagonist. I found Kate charming and irresistibly unforgettable. She is the kind of protagonist that every story needs. However, there was an absence of other intense characters who could support her narrative with their voices. There could’ve definitely been stronger characterisation in the novel.
I really like the sound of this, despite some weaknesses in characterisation, it sounds as though the main characters are very rounded - coupled with a flawless plot construction, that sounds like a great read to me.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

An intriguing story, I look forward to reading this novel.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Eventhough mystery is not my genre your enthusiastic and positive review made the book appealing. I appreciate that you praised the author and editor for their great editing of the book. I am glad for all the readers for have found a new book to add to their bookshelves.
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This book sounds like a worthwhile page-turner. I LOVE suspense novels. Thanks for your honest review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks for the very insightful review. This sounds like a book I shall enjoy reading.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Just the title of the book and the quote you began your review with are intriguing enough to check this book out. I have a hard time passing on a good investigation story.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”