Official Review: White Witch by Larry D. Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: White Witch by Larry D. Thompson

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Witch" by Larry D. Thompson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Montego Bay, Jamaica hosts the crypt of the notorious plantation owner, Annie Palmer. Dubbed the “White Witch,” legend has it Annie used her knowledge of voodoo to terrorize slaves during her life, and even long after her death it is believed she still haunts the grounds, using her wicked powers to harm the locals.

In present day, we meet Will Taylor, head of security for an American mining corporation that is in the process of constructing a bauxite mine in Jamaica. The Maroons are the indigenous people trying to stop the mine, asserting their ownership of the land, as was granted to them hundreds of years previously as part of a British treaty. As Will and his coworkers are met with much resistance, strange and violent things start happening. Is this somehow the work of Annie Palmer from her grave? Or is it the locals trying to take matters into their own hands to stop the mining? When Will discovers the company he represents has secrets of their own, he is faced with a moral dilemma, and choosing the wrong side could cost him his life.

Author Larry D. Thompson has interwoven a number of social, political, and historical threads into his book, White Witch. I was especially impressed with the research he invested into learning the history of the Maroon people, as well as the legend of Annie Palmer. Thompson’s knowledge of legal proceedings is apparent, adding an authentic glimpse into the courtroom action that presents itself as an integral part of the narrative. The book moves along at a nice pace, tossing in surprise elements at unanticipated times. I like that the author plays on the local hype of the White Witch legend, and I feel their reactions toward voodoo is completely realistic; their fear and aversion to speaking about the White Witch is a credible angle that enhanced the mystery and intrigue of the story.

A factor I took issue with almost immediately was the speech mannerisms of the characters. There was very little setting them apart from each other, and most spoke with similar verbiage and tone as the narrator. While it wasn’t enough to detract from the narrative, it created a general blandness. The Jamaican characters had almost no dimension to their speech; the only indication of their nationality was the occasional “mon” in their statements. Unfortunately, I felt the dialogue was too often used as an unimaginative means for “info dumping.” Given these two major detractors, I had difficulty fully submerging myself into the story.

I noticed only a handful of errors. As they were infrequent and relatively minor, I cannot be sure if the book has undergone professional editing. With the moderate usage of mature language, brief violence, and one glossed-over sex scene, this book hovers somewhere close to PG-13. I have rated this book 3 out of 4 stars due to its unrealistic speech/dialogues, and feel it would be a great read for someone interested in historical fiction that promotes cultural awareness.

White Witch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarahjean
Favorite Book: The Expansion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sarahjean »

Even theirs an error i try to read this thanks for the clear review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for you review. The book sounds really interesting, but... am I dreaming, or was this originally posted a few weeks back?
Lwan8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lwan8 »

Nice review. It sounds interesting.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review, but I might have to give this a pass as it doesn't seem immersive enough.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great combination of current issues, paranormal, and action.
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

I didn't read the whole review, all I read was witch and voodoo and legend. This book seems like it would excite me and scare me at the same time. I like this review and would read this book.
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Sarahjean wrote: 18 May 2018, 23:22 Even theirs an error i try to read this thanks for the clear review.
Thanks for commenting :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 19 May 2018, 01:36 Thanks for you review. The book sounds really interesting, but... am I dreaming, or was this originally posted a few weeks back?
The book sounds a little more interesting than it actually is. As to your question...I'm at a loss! I just finished reading and the review was posted pretty quickly.
Thanks for commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Lwan8 wrote: 19 May 2018, 02:23 Nice review. It sounds interesting.
Thanks for reading!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

gen_g wrote: 19 May 2018, 04:44 Thank you for the review, but I might have to give this a pass as it doesn't seem immersive enough.
Thanks for your thoughts!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

teacherjh wrote: 19 May 2018, 15:12 It sounds like a great combination of current issues, paranormal, and action.
I thought there would be a greater emphasis on the paranormal. Thanks for commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

lydiasmoot21 wrote: 19 May 2018, 18:30 I didn't read the whole review, all I read was witch and voodoo and legend. This book seems like it would excite me and scare me at the same time. I like this review and would read this book.
If you're looking to be a little scared, I'd say this isn't going to get you there. It's centered around some great themes, but it's not frightening at all, in my opinion. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I really like your fair review of the book. Think I might try this one. Thanks.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

SABRADLEY wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:46 I was especially impressed with the research he invested into learning the history of the Maroon people, as well as the legend of Annie Palmer.
Oh, so Annie Palmer is an existing legend and not one manifested by the author? This is a cool inclusion for me! I love to hear extensions on old tales. I actually googled her just now and read her short history. Kudos to the author because if their intent was to bring light to this story, they've accomplished thier goal!

Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”