Official Review: White Witch by Larry D. Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: White Witch by Larry D. Thompson

Post by gen_g »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 11:03
SABRADLEY wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:46 I was especially impressed with the research he invested into learning the history of the Maroon people, as well as the legend of Annie Palmer.
Oh, so Annie Palmer is an existing legend and not one manifested by the author? This is a cool inclusion for me! I love to hear extensions on old tales. I actually googled her just now and read her short history. Kudos to the author because if their intent was to bring light to this story, they've accomplished thier goal!

Thanks for the review!
I agree with NL Hartje! The fact that the author extended and created continuations of the old tales is a novel concept, and I am even more tempted to pick it up now.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

SABRADLEY wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:46 I was especially impressed with the research he invested into learning the history of the Maroon people, as well as the legend of Annie Palmer.
Oh, so Annie Palmer is an existing legend and not one manifested by the author? This is a cool inclusion for me! I love to hear extensions on old tales. I actually googled her just now and read her short history. Kudos to the author because if their intent was to bring light to this story, they've accomplished thier goal!

Thanks for the review!
It was a cool inclusion for me as well! I would have LOVED to have the legend be the prevailing theme, but that would have taken the book in a different direction than the author had intended. Thanks for commenting :)
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 11:07

Thanks for the review!
I agree with NL Hartje! The fact that the author extended and created continuations of the old tales is a novel concept, and I am even more tempted to pick it up now.
Yes, it's a great concept! I just don't want you to be disappointed that the focal points lie elsewhere; the legend provides a backdrop into a current sociopolitical climate :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there are a lot of good points to this book, and it crosses several genres. It's too bad the characters weren't more distinct. I'm not sure that this one is for me, but I appreciate your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

SABRADLEY wrote: 20 May 2018, 15:06

Thanks for the review!
Yes, it's a great concept! I just don't want you to be disappointed that the focal points lie elsewhere; the legend provides a backdrop into a current sociopolitical climate :)
Thanks for the warning! It is an added bonus that there is a mix of old legend and reality. I think it's a given that I would enjoy it a lot more than the book I just reviewed - I can only hope to come across great books like yours soon! (:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thank you so much for you review which help me decide weather reading this on priority to other books
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 22:31

Thanks for the warning! It is an added bonus that there is a mix of old legend and reality. I think it's a given that I would enjoy it a lot more than the book I just reviewed - I can only hope to come across great books like yours soon! (:
Yeah, some of these books are... quite unique haha. I hope you come across a winner asap :)
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SABRADLEY wrote: 21 May 2018, 06:18
gen_g wrote: 20 May 2018, 22:31
Yeah, some of these books are... quite unique haha. I hope you come across a winner asap :)
Hahaha you are certainly right. Although A Patchwork of Pink (the most recent one) was a good read, you could tell that there was a lot more to be explored. And the one I am in the midst of reviewing...well. Anyway, I will definitely get myself a copy of White Witch soon, and only hope that I will enjoy it as much as you did! (:
Fuzzy456
Currently Reading: The Spirit of Want
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzzy456.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00N9ZVN90

Post by Fuzzy456 »

This was a good review, but witches and voodoo scare me so I don’t think I’ll be reading it. Good job on the review though and I’m glad you enjoyed the book.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kdstrack wrote: 20 May 2018, 06:11 Great review. I really like your fair review of the book. Think I might try this one. Thanks.
Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 May 2018, 18:08 It sounds like there are a lot of good points to this book, and it crosses several genres. It's too bad the characters weren't more distinct. I'm not sure that this one is for me, but I appreciate your review. Thanks.
Hi there,
The characters were mediocre, but I feel this author will only get better with time. Thanks for commenting!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

sanjus wrote: 21 May 2018, 03:49 Thank you so much for you review which help me decide weather reading this on priority to other books
I appreciate your time and comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Fuzzy456 wrote: 23 May 2018, 07:50 This was a good review, but witches and voodoo scare me so I don’t think I’ll be reading it. Good job on the review though and I’m glad you enjoyed the book.
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Good review shedding light on the book about the mining baron who is be opposed by people living mining location, sounds interesting
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Newy37
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Newy37 »

This novel sounds really cool to me, I would like to read it😎

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”