Official Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man of the Sea" by Nathan Kippley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Categorized within the C/M/T/H genre, The Man of the Sea: Heaven’s Gate by Nathan Kippley is truly a fantastic and enthralling read. It is fast-paced in most sections and contains the necessary elements of adventure, suspense, and romance to keep its young and adult audiences’ eyes riveted to its pages. The book is sectioned into the two (2) below-mentioned stories which alternate at each chapter and then culminate towards the ending chapters. The plot is truly intriguing as it centers around an old wife’s tale or folklore of a nefarious seaman who haunts the region of Heaven’s Gate and other areas within the Bermuda Triangle. He butchers his many unsuspecting victims with much gory relish and the blessed few who escape, live forever in a strange world of trepidation and despair.

In the first scenario, Silas and his younger brother Joe, with much elation and great expectation journey from their hometown of Maine to settle in the beautiful tropical paradise of Florida Keys. They have just been traumatized by a family incident and now welcome with open arms, the opportunity to revitalize their lives by starting a fishing business in the Keys. However, unbeknownst to them, their plans could be crashed if the haunting presence of the Man of the Sea, were to eerily beckon them to sail the high waters towards his hideous dungeon of doom.

Not too far away from the brothers, the newly endowed millionaires, Billie, her husband Jack and his business partner and friend Peter, luxuriate in splendor on their beautiful yacht, which sails idly on the turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea, destined for Jamaica. The millionaires who have lived in a trailer for years are still stupefied with disbelief at their new found wealth. They have longed for this well-deserved vacation for years after devoting most of their lives’ to their careers. Their idyllic setting is however rudely interrupted by the loud banging of gun shots, which riddle the air to pierce their bodies, souls, and minds forever. The questions to be asked, therefore, is who is it that wants them dead, and will Billie and her friends be able to survive the insidious tentacles of their predator?

What I like most about this book is that it encourages loyalty towards family and friends. I have observed with much delight, that faith, courage, and sacrifice of self, are qualities, that are portrayed in most of the protagonists’ characters, especially Billie and Joe. I am also reminded by the story, to not take for granted that my surroundings are always safe but to take the necessary precautions to secure my life, and the lives of my families and friends. It must be noted, that persons who have lost loved ones in a violent manner are encouraged by the story to be heartened to have the faith and determination that are necessary to forge ahead and overcome their sorrows, even by assisting others. This upstanding act will help in lessening their own pain. Other persons who are still grieving and in vulnerable positions, should read with caution as old wounds may be re-opened by the gory details.

Author Kippley has indeed demonstrated to his readers his adept skills at storytelling and his vast knowledge of the English Language. This knowledge he has utilized to create vivid images of picturesque tropical sceneries, those of love-filled moments and the chilling scenes of frightful deadly hatred and mayhem. The story is written in the third person and the mood throughout the book is hope. As it concerns the prologue, I know that it is an introductory section within a story, but I still I think too many spoilers are given away in it, and, therefore, I will give it a 3 out of 4 stars rating, being that it detracts from the intrigue. I must add that the grammar to date seems to be immaculate, except for those used colloquially, which is expected. I am somewhat disappointed as it concerns the ending of the story as I had expected to see different results for some of the characters. Anyway, I am anticipating that the author is presently working on part 2 to this book.

Man of the Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The review shows that the author has left some of the spoilers in prologue itself and diluting the thrill which one may have got while reading it. however any takeaways from the tale may be have not been mentioned
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

crediblereading2 wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:41 He butchers his many unsuspecting victims with much gory relish and the blessed few who escape, live forever in a strange world of trepidation and despair.
And this is the point at which I back slowly away and resolve to only read gardening books in future. :) Thanks for the review - but no, thanks.
Oceanside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceanside.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Oceanside »

The first thing that intrigued me about this book was the cover, and the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle. I love that there is an underlying theme of hope in this book and I enjoy the different stories coming together. Thanks for the great review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not big on ghost stories but it sounds well-written.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thanks for a thorough review. The two intersecting stories is a nice touch; I typically find that helps keep my interest. I'm not sure about the gore though!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oceanside wrote: 18 May 2018, 14:40 The first thing that intrigued me about this book was the cover, and the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle. I love that there is an underlying theme of hope in this book and I enjoy the different stories coming together. Thanks for the great review!
I agree with Oceanside! I do like it very much when the different stories come together to tell you something else. The underlying theme of hope is also a heartwarming one, and I do enjoy reads like this. It sounds like a book that I had reviewed previously, titled Tears in His Bottle, which also has a very strong thread of sincerity and hope running through it. Thank you very much for the review!
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

crediblereading2 wrote: 17 May 2018, 17:41 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man of the Sea" by Nathan Kippley.]

The plot is truly intriguing as it centers around an old wife’s tale or folklore of a nefarious seaman who haunts the region of Heaven’s Gate and other areas within the Bermuda Triangle. He butchers his many unsuspecting victims with much gory relish and the blessed few who escape, live forever in a strange world of trepidation and despair.

Man of the Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!

It doesn't sound like my kind of book. I really dislike horror or stories with a lot of blood and guts. Thanks anyway.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
momschellsr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momschellsr.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by momschellsr »

""Man of the Sea" by Nathan Kippley" review reply

I appreciate family loyalty,myself. In your review you mentioned that this story shows some of that, which makes it interesting for me to read for myself. I appreciate this review , it let's the person reading it decide whether or not they wish to read it. You were very detailed and wrote with clarity. Thank you
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This sounds like an interesting story! I love the myths surrounding the Bermuda Triangle. Also, I live in the Caribbean so it is always fun to read someone's else's perspective on the islands.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m intrigued at the hopeful mood you describe in the midst of gory death, trepidation, and despair. It sounds quite interesting with the alternating storylines. I can see that you put a lot of thought into your review. Thanks for sharing!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like an interesting book. Perhaps it would be ok to skip the prologue? I like how you included the theme of hope and the warning to those who may have emotional scarring that might be irritated by some of the events in this book.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Interesting premise with the folklore. Don't know if I would like it with the gore, but I do like the hope it gives to those going through tragedy. Thanks for the review.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

This sounds like it might be a pretty intriguing read. I'm not sure how I feel about the promised gore- it might turn me away from the book. But I don't know- I might give it a try. It stills sounds kind of interesting and I can always stop reading if it becomes too much for me. Thanks for the review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This seems like an interesting story, but probably not for me. I’m not a big horror fan, even if the overall themes are of love and loyalty. Still, I’m glad that it was a good read and well edited. It is so nice to see those.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”