Official Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Official Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 15 May 2018, 13:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rasputin's Nephew" by Marc J. Seifer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is difficult to review a book like Rasputin's Nephew by Marc Seifer. On one hand, the story is full of all the right kind of thrills—a page turner. On the other hand, much of the included technical information was beyond my comprehension and sort of settled into an uneasy blur after a while.

Rudy, a journalist from New York, is caught between his girlfriend and his job. Rudy is tracking a story that connects ESP, psychokinesis, mental telepathy, and other paranormal topics. Meanwhile, some unknown person is going around destroying all copies of a particular book that deals with these very topics. To be more specific, this person is destroying the first edition of the book. While Rudy is researching, he discovers that several prominent professionals in the psychic phenomena fields have mysteriously died. Before Rudy knows half of what is going on, he himself becomes a target!

On the other side of the world, Mother Russia is sore at losing the Cold War. The highest officials have determined to wage another war and win at all costs. Human experiments, strange events, more suspicious deaths, seemingly super-human people... All this and more fill the pages of Rasputin's Nephew. Those who know anything about Russia's czarist history, will recognize Rasputin. From historical reports, Rasputin had legendary powers. Although he largely works in shadows, the descendant of Rasputin also has abilities that no one can explain.

A young Russian doctor, Imo, is working with a medical group studying the brain, including those areas that are largely dismissed by scientists, such as ESP and telepathy. While observing the experiments others are doing, Imo gradually becomes disillusioned with the work.

What will happen to Rudy? Will he find out the truth behind the mysterious deaths and the disappearing book? Will he survive the assassination attempts on his life? Is Abdulla Manu a fake? Can Manu really levitate people and objects, bend objects, channel mysterious entities and emit multi-colored lights? What choices will Imo make? The answers are not easy in coming, but the ends are all tied up by the last page.

I loved the action in this book, as well as the conspiracies. The topic is fascinating, although I have to admit, I found it hard to understand the technical terms. At times, large sections were devoted to how ESP, etc., is supposed to work scientifically. Much of that flew over my head so high that I could never capture it back again. I was uncomfortable with the amount of graphic descriptions of both violence and intimacy. I realize much of this was inextricably integrated as part of the plot itself, but I would not recommend this to anyone who does not wish to have these things explicitly written out. I also would not recommend anyone who is not interested in reading minute details concerning scientifically technical subjects. The author includes an abundance of resources, which tells me that there is at least some truth tucked inside this story.

Overall, the plot moved along smoothly, except for the large sections of technical explanations, as I mentioned before. Characters were well-drawn, but there were a lot of characters! The plethora of characters created some confusion as I was not always sure which characters were "evil, "good," or "neutral." This started getting sorted out somewhere in the middle. Throughout the entire book, I found only one error in spelling. Due to too many characters to keep track of and the overwhelming amount of technical explanations, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Rasputin's Nephew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: Altered Reality
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Accumulation by Buan Boonaca
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 10 Jun 2018, 00:58

My first encounter with the name, "Rasputin" was in my favorite, growing-up, animated movie, "Anastasia." It popped up again as a nickname for someone in a recent book I read so I decided to read about him. It was somewhat fascinating. This author has added a twist by producing a nephew for him and I'm dying to read what show-stopping displays he has up his sleeve. I don't care much for explicit details and technical jargons but I'm far too curious about this to let them get in my way. Thanks for the detailed review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain

Chazza3007
Currently Reading: Ten Dead Comedians
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chazza3007.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson

Post by Chazza3007 » 10 Jun 2018, 03:08

So Impressed by your writing skills in this review! Could definitely use some tips.
Funnily enough GCSE history has a whole section dedicated to Rasputin and his devilish ways.

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: The Lucky Two
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Stepping Up by donalyn Powell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 10 Jun 2018, 08:07

This sounds fascinating! I think I want to check it out and just page through the graphic/boring stuff for the sake of the story. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading: Uncle Walter's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by joshfee77 » 10 Jun 2018, 17:45

Sounds to me like a highly entertaining story that might just need a couple of tweaks to appeal to the average reader. I also find too much in-depth technical detail difficult to follow. Great review.

aremu malik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by aremu malik » 10 Jun 2018, 17:48

Looks to me like boring story, might just check it out anyway

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged by Euclid Isbell

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Jun 2018, 18:07

This does sound intriguing. However you lost me at the amount of technical details of ESP as well as the intimacy details. So, thanks for the information, but I'll pass.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A World Without Color
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 10 Jun 2018, 22:49

Rasputin reminded of the Romanov family in russia. I have watched documentary fils related to Rasputin and he is one creepy man. A story that involves Rasputin seems like a story that stirs up trouble. I saw the thriller and action linger in your review and I can expect a great deal of it from the book, but I wonder about the technical ESP. Thank you for your detailed review!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by daniya__shah3 » 12 Jun 2018, 05:24

I'm always up for books filled with action, adventures and conspiracies. Your review is quite detailed and I loved how you have worked thoroughly with every bit of the details. Amazing writing skills, you've done a good job and definitely provided the book with another reader.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde

greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer

Post by greenstripedgiraffe » 18 Jun 2018, 10:30

@Vickie noel The plot is indeed quite intriguing! I was curious to learn more about Rasputin also!

@Chazza 3007 and daniya__shah3 :oops: Thank you for your compliments!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”