Official Review: Hoard by Thomas Coyle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Hoard by Thomas Coyle

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hoard" by Thomas Coyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hoard is a short fictional play authored by Thomas Coyle in 2016. It tells a story that clearly illustrates how greed and covetousness can quickly lure humans into heinous crimes.

Set in a dilapidated house within an old residential neighborhood, the play opens with a scene showing Cally, a middle-aged woman, cleaning the house and Marilon, another middle-aged woman who has stopped by to check on the owner of the house. Marilon decides to help with the cleaning. She soon finds out that the work is very tedious as the house is positively akin to a rubbish heap. Their mutual friend, Connie, who is the house owner, is someone who hoards everything from books to the dead bodies of her family members. There is something more interesting to be found, however; lots of cash, totaling close to seven hundred thousand dollars. Discovery of the money leads to an unexpected twist and the events following bring the play to a climax that will have the audience waiting for more.

This story goes to show that there is no inhibition to just how far people will go for money. Worldwide, money motivated crimes are the reason why a staggering number of people are either behind bars, or dead. Although the play doesn't tell us why Connie had all the dead bodies in her house, the subsequent actions of the women who found the bodies and money leave much to be desired. Marilon, for example, is a well-to-do woman with some valuable property of her own; she has no real need for the money. But she is willing to go the whole nine yards to ensure she gets to keep it. I love the fact that the theme of this story is so relatable.

The book is written much like a script, so I totally had to imagine myself acting out the play in order to fully understand what was happening. At first, that was a little difficult, but as the book progressed I didn't mind at all. Also, the narration was concise, and that made it easier to understand the story. Staging this play should not be difficult, due to the fact that every scene is set in Connie’s house. It can also be staged successfully on a tight budget, as the characters do not change clothes, and most of the props required are clutter and boxes.

I think I rather enjoyed this book in spite of the light plot. It was a little boring at the onset, but it gets interesting towards the end. Hence, I give it a rating of three out of four stars. I also found a few typos and grammar errors, so proofreading again is surely not a bad idea. This book is perfect for people trying to develop an interest in crime stories; it isn't too intense, and I believe it will groom their interest in the genre.

Hoard
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Thank you for your analysis of this play! It definitely seems like an interesting one, and I'm tempted to pick it up after your review :) I'm a fan of crime fiction, and I'm very curious to see how differently a crime plot plays out on stage, VS in prose.

(It's a shame about the typos, though--they always tend to take you out of the story, and it's hard to be fully immersed after that. :P)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I am interested in the theme of materialism. More and more in my life, I am seeking simplicity. Life is about so much more than stuff and money.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 17 May 2018, 08:24 Thank you for your analysis of this play! It definitely seems like an interesting one, and I'm tempted to pick it up after your review :) I'm a fan of crime fiction, and I'm very curious to see how differently a crime plot plays out on stage, VS in prose.

(It's a shame about the typos, though--they always tend to take you out of the story, and it's hard to be fully immersed after that. :P)
I feel the same way!

Also, I just can't get beyond the dead bodies! DEAD bodies? Of her FAMILY members? In her HOUSE? I...I just...I am just too through. Wow, *lol*.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 17 May 2018, 08:24 Thank you for your analysis of this play! It definitely seems like an interesting one, and I'm tempted to pick it up after your review :) I'm a fan of crime fiction, and I'm very curious to see how differently a crime plot plays out on stage, VS in prose.

It’s interesting, albeit simple. The typos are not that bad tho
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Sounds intriguing about the character Connie who does not want to throw anything away even dead bodies. Very strange psychology of Connie.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Wow - hoarding dead bodies - that sounds like a very dark comedy to me - could be a lot of fun. On the other, if you found it boring in the beginning, that's not great news. Thanks for an interesting review.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

MsTri wrote: 17 May 2018, 16:37

I feel the same way!

Also, I just can't get beyond the dead bodies! DEAD bodies? Of her FAMILY members? In her HOUSE? I...I just...I am just too through. Wow, *lol*.
Me too! Also, the presence of the bodies wasn't addressed? Now I'm really curious. :shock:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”