Official Review: Genesis by Edward Johns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Genesis by Edward Johns

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Genesis" by Edward Johns.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Genesis by Edward Johns is the first book in a series of crime thrillers but can be read as a standalone novel.

Harry Travers is an airline pilot who spends his off time drinking and courting the ladies. An uncle that Harry never even knew he had has gone missing and been declared dead, and Harry must make the journey to the US to see what he has inherited. His uncle’s alleged death is rather suspicious though, and too many seedy characters seem to have taken an interest in the land that now belongs to Harry. Joining forces with Tommy, a friend of his uncle’s, Harry makes the life-changing decision to become a private investigator and find out exactly what happened. This investigative doggedness serves him well when he returns to the UK and is roped into helping a colleague’s brother who has been targeted by a crew of dirty poker players. With the fates against him on both sides of the pond will the amateur investigator’s career be shut down before it even begins?

As a book reviewer, the format in which you receive the book is important in creating a good first impression and expectation as to what is still to come. This PDF format had me shaking my head as chapters started in the middle of pages, there were a number of blank pages after each other, some lines had double spacing between them and some not, and nowhere was there a page number to be seen. There were a lot of silly editing mistakes that should have been picked up like punctuation missing, words like your and you’re mixed up, incorrect usage of vein versus vain, a character’s name being incorrectly spelt and gender pronouns being swopped around. The writing was very irregular, with many sections having short and sharp sentences and most of the dialogue ending in an exclamation mark, to very long and wordy sentences with words like somnolence and obsequious seemingly thrown in for good measure. Sometimes you would be reading about a “he” in a paragraph, but it would take you most of the paragraph to figure out who the “he” was.

I was very ambivalent about the storyline. Here you have a character who loves his job of being a pilot and just because a little mystery is thrown his way, decides to become a private investigator. Fine, we can put that down to a mid-life crisis, but when he takes one karate class and can all of a sudden take on four guys with guns I have to raise an eyebrow. A lot of the book was spent with him getting drunk and waking up with a hangover which didn’t say much for either of his professions. I had a problem with his character’s ethics in that he was out for revenge and had no problem killing people he thought had wronged him and covering it up, yet he wanted to legally become an investigator.

Even though I didn’t agree with Harry’s decision to take the law into his own hands, I did feel that the need to protect loved ones as fiercely as what he did was commendable. The author has managed to convey a tone of urgency and an all or nothing attitude in Harry’s deeds, I just wish he could have condensed it from the 525 PDF pages offered.

Genesis by Edward Johns gets a rating of 2 out of 4 stars from me. I took one star off for the editing, and the other star off for a story that has a good grain of an idea but takes far too long to get there, with the reader losing interest over the unnecessary parts. I do hope that the author refines his writing as he releases the series, and due to the language, violence and some sexual content would only recommend this for mature YA and up.

Genesis
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really hate when the formatting is so horrible like that. You're right, it does leave the wrong first impression. I have also read books that are pretty good, but somehow the author just draws things out a bit too much. It seems like that's what happened here. So while I appreciate your review, I think I'm going to skip the book for now. Perhaps with a bit more editing, I'll look at this again in the future.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 May 2018, 08:05 I really hate when the formatting is so horrible like that. You're right, it does leave the wrong first impression. I have also read books that are pretty good, but somehow the author just draws things out a bit too much. It seems like that's what happened here. So while I appreciate your review, I think I'm going to skip the book for now. Perhaps with a bit more editing, I'll look at this again in the future.
I do agree with kandscreeley, it always leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you come across terrible formatting. I do feel that appropriate pacing is important, and it is a pity that this did not happen. With professional editing, this might read better. Thank you for your detailed review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Oh boy, I wouldn't enjoy this book if its so poorly edited. Plus the exclamation points and choppy flow... Thanks for sticking it out to get us the review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Thanks for pointing out those errors which and make reading very difficult and at the same time spending much time over it.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I'm on board with my fellow reviewers' comments above. Why take the time to publish something that you've clearly put your heart into but not put heart into the finishes? First impressions are important and sadly, too many authors forget this.

Thanks for revealing the truth in your review.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like the book has more than its share of weaknesses. Really enjoyed reading your review, though!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like this would have been a far better book without the poor editing, poor formatting and some unrealistic plot points. Thanks for your review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”