Official Review: Goodnight Irene by James Scott Byrnside

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MonicaMcd
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: The Outlander Series
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
fav_author_id: 2373

Re: Official Review: Goodnight Irene by James Scott Byrnside

Post by MonicaMcd »

I was never a big Agatha Christie fan however this wonderful review peaked my interest. I am interested to see how the cold case of 20 years ago is solved :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Ah! I’ve finally twigged why this review is getting so much interest.

I didn’t realise it was book of the day! :shock2:

Thanks all for your very kind comments.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

Great review, Helen! Such a fun, creative style to it. Always nice when the author immerses you in the world of the book. I read the first few pages and loved the 1920's slang. Congrats on Book of the Day! :lol2:
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ooo...a locked-room murder mystery has taken place Mississippi. Hopefully, Detective Manory will be able to find the murderer! I love the way you set up your review, by the way. The exhibits, closing statement, and verdict seems so appropriate for this story! Too bad some clues were overstated, but it's great to hear that your brain was still thinking about the book even after you put it down. It's also great to hear that the book was well-researched and well-written. I think it's clever the author did add some lightness to the text, instead of just making it serious the entire time. I'm not a fan of "whodunnit" novels, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one! Thank you for the lovely review!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. I’m a big fan of a good whodunnit and crime dramas. I love trying to piece together the clues and solve the mystery before the big reveal. That this is in a class with Agatha Christie is another big draw for me. Sounds like a must read. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

Very engaging review! I love mysteries and very well researched historical fiction together. I'll probably read this next.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
BHUPSA
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by BHUPSA »

good and informetive review. I am definitely going to read this book. i love rime dramas and thanks for the wonderful introduction. I am SO excited to read this. and yeah from this review you make me to read it asap.
thank you helen.
i like your types of reviewer. :tiphat:
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I really like detective novels like Sherlock Holmes. You did a great job writing this review. I will definitely give it a try.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The format of the review is very unique and I like it the way it is. The book has been reviewed well and I have chosen to read it. Thanks for the free copy that was given. I think it entails a lot of imagination on the part of the reader then, especially on the part that at times a lot of clues are given. It is good, however, that despite this, the author manages to capture the reader's attention to the very end of the story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You seemed to have laid out the evidence that Goodnight Irene is a "locked-room murder mystery" definitely worth reading. Your description of the book reminds me of the game "Clue". I like that you said the author has a love of words and that you built-up your vocabulary. I like when a book reveals some things, but the reader still has to figure things out.
dlsrysjoan08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by dlsrysjoan08 »

Goodnight Irene by Scott Byrnside is good to read. I really love the inside 😊😊 I really wanted to read it. I really love mysteries and fictio tohether. I love to try thinking the puzzle in there.this story really captured me a lot. I'd love to read the next.
Maksiub1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Maksiub1 »

Amazing review, running to grab a copy right-away.
Layla__
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-layla.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Layla__ »

Based off the review and summary given this book sounds like a very intriguing mystery, I’ll have to read it sometime.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Reading this review reminded me of the famous novel: murder on the orient express written by Agatha Christie, following the same style, James Scott Byrnside has written this novel, Goodnight Irene.

A brilliant detective Rowan Manory hired to stop a murder, the suspects are at a Mississippi Manor isolated from the world by the great flood of 1927. Now Rowan has to solve a murder mystery here.

Historical and investigative aspects have been written beautifully by James Scott and I am looking forward to reading this suspenseful novel.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Goodnight Irene is an amazing murder mystery book by James Scott Byrnside. I enjoyed reading the book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The book has an amazing onlinebookclub review that highlighted the best the book had to offer. The book is free on Amazon Kindle.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”