Official Review: Dead Inside by M Mathews

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: Dead Inside by M Mathews

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead Inside" by M Mathews.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dead Inside by M Mathews is a book about a young woman overcoming events that most people would have a hard time surviving. I would classify it as action and/or thriller and geared toward anyone over the age of 17. I would say that there may need to be a trigger warning on this book as it does deal with rape, kidnapping, and torture.

Janmarie is a young woman in college that has finally found a guy that she is willing to date. However, their first date goes horribly wrong and thus her nightmare begins. Janmarie is tortured, raped, and starved in order to try and break her spirit so that she can be sold. She is held with two other girls but does manage to escape. This is not a spoiler. This all happens in the first part of the book and there is way more to the story.

After Janmarie is rescued, she has to learn to live a new life in the witness protection program. She can not have any contact with friends or loved ones and is still trying to recover from her ordeal. The question then becomes if she can learn to trust again and find love. I do have to say that Luke is one of my favorite characters in this book. I think he is everything that we look for in a loved one: kind, patient, understanding, you get the drift.

I really liked the plot and story outline in this book. It does deal with dark subjects and makes you wonder about people’s humanity and how they became so evil. I had a hard time putting the book down because I was caught up wanting to know what was going to happen next. There were times that I would think I was coming to the end of the book and there would be a twist or new development. This book definitely does not follow the standard pattern that you see in most books.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars because there are numerous errors that take away from the story. This book does not look to be professionally edited. Some of the wording is stiff and looks like it is being written in a journal. An example is the sentence “Don’t think I would have accomplished my studies if Carl and I were alone.” I think if some editing were done, this would be an awesome book.

Dead Inside
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

If the synopsis stated is not considered to be a spoiler and that the reviewer claims there is more to this book, OMG! I guess there is a healing process and a lot difficulties that a raped individual goes through. Such a sad affair to deal with but it also reflects the reality of that individual. I feel sorry for her but yes this to takes place for real in society. A guy comes close to a girl, befriends her acts as a loving boy friend and that she is his only world, but finally rapes her in a room and sells her to other men or to a human trafficking ring. This is just raw reality! Thank you for summoning that up in your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

To think that she survived such a horrendous ordeal only to lose all contact with her loved ones upon rescue is tragic. I think I'll steer clear of this type of premise for now. Thanks for a great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. This sounds like a strong book that deals with some difficult issues. Think I`ll pass. I appreciate your effort to read and review this book and your excellent writing. Nice job.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book sounds a bit too dark for me to begin with. I have a hard time dealing with scenes of torture, kidnapping or rape. Add to that the number or errors, and I'm going to have to pass. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Although I know people trafficking is an important issue, but I feel too many books focus on the rape and torture of women. I take your point that a lot of this is about the recovery process, but it makes me uneasy. Your review was really helpful, thanks, but I'll pass on this one.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds intense and much deeper than the cover led me to believe. Thanks.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

It sounded like such a good story only to have uncompleted editing to ruin the book. However, the plot was revealed and did you understand what the author was conveying from the story? Did reading about the sex slave trade change the way you feel about certain things? You conducted a pretty good review and I applaud you for trying to get past the errors to enjoy reading the book. :music-rockon:
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review, it seems like an interesting read!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I recently read a very poorly executed book about a life in the witness protection program and it's unfortunate that this seems to fit the same bill. I was excited at the start of your review because I honestly think it would be a story I (and many) would enjoy! Oh well, maybe someday we'll get a winner!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A dark and powerful story that just needs some decent editing. This one sounds like it definitely has potential. Thanks for your review.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

How bad can men be? Is there any humanity left? I like this questions and I like that the book tries to answer them.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”