Official Review: Dead of Spring by Sherry Knowlton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Official Review: Dead of Spring by Sherry Knowlton

Post by Tbunde5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead of Spring" by Sherry Knowlton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dead of Spring, by Sherry Knowlton, is the third book in the Alexa Williams series of crime dramas. Alexa is a lawyer who has left the unending grind of New York City to live and work in Pennsylvania. By her own admission, trouble seems to follow wherever she goes. While working on a committee at the state capitol in Harrisburg, Alexa becomes an unwitting witness to the violent death of a state senator. At the same time, she is drawn into the world of fracking when an old friend calls her, desperate to find help for her young daughter. The young girl has contracted a rare cancer, and the parents are sure it was caused by the oil fracking industry right outside their door. As Alexa digs further into the case, she and those she loves become targets for a faceless assassin. Alexa needs to find out if the killers are trying to stop her work against the fracking industry or if she really does know more about the senator’s death than she thinks she does. As the story unfolds and the clues are laid out, it becomes obvious that one might not entirely preclude the other. Whatever the cause, Alexa needs to find answers before the next bullet finds its mark.

This is the kind of crime thriller that draws the reader in from the first chapter, grabs hold, and doesn’t let go until the last page. Although third in a series, one doesn’t have to read the first two books to become fully vested in this one. Previous cases are alluded to, but do not interrupt the flow of the story. Knowlton creates a likable character in Alexa, strong-willed and clear-sighted. The clues to the mystery are logical but not obvious. And for the first time in a long time, I was actually surprised by the surprise ending.

The story is interrupted occasionally by a parallel plotline, told as a flashback, that didn’t seem to fit in with the main story. It tells of a young couple caught in the middle of the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster in the 1970s. It was a bit distracting, because the characters and storyline didn’t seem to have anything to do with Alexa and her mystery. Knowlton does tie it all together in the end, but I felt the secondary story acted like a commercial break, interrupting the building suspense of the first. From a more positive perspective, these infrequent breaks also served to build the reader's anticipation of the rest of the story.

There were some editing mistakes, but they were few and far between. The only one that was consistent was the use of a comma every time a sentence began with and or but. For example, “But, the staffer was in no way responsible.” Otherwise, the book was exceptionally well-edited.

Anyone who loves a good crime thriller will absolutely love Dead of Spring. I would also recommend trying out Knowlton’s other books in the series: Dead of Autumn and Dead of Summer. I am looking forward to the next book, whose obvious title has got to be Dead of Winter. Although there were a few editing errors, I cannot help but give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Dead of Spring
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tbunde5's review? Post a comment saying so!
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

The hardest part of story is when Alexa witness the murder of the state senator, what will be the motive of the killing? That I think Alexa wanted to know, she's too atouch to the investigation that's why her family becomes the target of the assassin, I wanted to know the ending what will become of Alexa? I think this is a good story, I want to read the remaining part.
What goes around comes around
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad to hear that you don't need to read the other books in the series to read this one. It sounds quite intense in a good way! I'll have to look at this one. The cover looks very professional as well. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Crime thrillers are some of my favorites!!! I especially like when an author does a series with titles that clearly link them together, but it doesn't matter if you read them all or read them sequentially. I'm not sure how I will feel about the secondary story, but as long as it has a purpose, I think it would be a very minor annoyance. Nice review. I will have to read this one at some point.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm going to check into this series. Even though you don't have to read the other two to understand this one, I usually try to read them in order. But I love a good crime thriller. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an exciting ride. I like the fact that it brings in an environmental issue with fracking also.
Taylornic98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylornic98.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Taylornic98 »

This review is very well written. It gives way just enough information to peak your curiosity without revealing spoilers. I am always up for a good mystery thriller. I will definitely be checking this book out soon!
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

teacherjh wrote: 11 May 2018, 15:13 This sounds like an exciting ride. I like the fact that it brings in an environmental issue with fracking also.
I actually learned a lot about fracking from this book. It made me do some research into fracking legislation in my state as well.
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

Taylornic98 wrote: 11 May 2018, 15:24 This review is very well written. It gives way just enough information to peak your curiosity without revealing spoilers. I am always up for a good mystery thriller. I will definitely be checking this book out soon!
Thanks! It’s tough to review a book like this without any spoilers. Especially when it is so well written!
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

AmySmiles wrote: 09 May 2018, 14:50 I'm going to check into this series. Even though you don't have to read the other two to understand this one, I usually try to read them in order. But I love a good crime thriller. Thanks for the review.
I feel the same way. As I was reading this one, I kept thinking about reading the first two. I definitely want to read the next one.
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

Taylornic98 wrote: 11 May 2018, 15:24 This review is very well written. It gives way just enough information to peak your curiosity without revealing spoilers. I am always up for a good mystery thriller. I will definitely be checking this book out soon!
Thanks for your positive feedback. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a beautifully written crime thriller that really draws the reader in. And a decent surprise ending too. Just my sort of book! Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”