Official Review: The Underbelly by Evelyn Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Official Review: The Underbelly by Evelyn Cole

Post by AliceofX »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Underbelly" by Evelyn Cole.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Underbelly is a novel by Evelyn Cole. It’s a story that centers on two women. Patricia McCabe, better known as Trishita, is a 25-year-old waitress. She was raised by a single mother that spent more time drinking and getting in trouble with the law than being a parent. Trishita writes a fake resume and gets accepted as a maid at the Hyde family home. Her hope is to use them to achieve her goal of getting a higher education.

Jacquelyn Hyde is an assistant superintendent. She’s married to Arthur and they have two children named Ethan and Sylvia. However, no one realizes that behind the respectable suburban wife and mother is a woman with a secret. Jacquelyn’s cure for insomnia is breaking into people’s houses and destroying their collections, be they Lalique figurines or beer bottles.

Trishita quickly becomes an essential part of the Hyde household. She especially forms a strong bond with 13-year-old Sylvia. All of that makes Jacquelyn jealous of Trishita. However, unbeknownst to Jacquelyn, Trishita also begins an affair with both her 16-year-old son and husband.

The first thing I’d like to address is that I’m not sure why this book was placed in the Crime & Mystery section when really it is a novel. There is no secret to find out or crime to be solved. It’s not a thriller either. If you are expecting those things then The Underbelly is not the book for you.

However, besides not meeting my genre expectations, it also didn’t have any characters that I related to or found likable. Trishita uses sex to get what she wants and her underprivileged background as justification for her actions. She’s not at all sorry about how the Hyde family is damaged by her actions. Jacquelyn was also equally lacking in personal responsibility. She doesn’t seek help for her problems and justifies her property destruction as destroying false idols.

A large part of the book is Trishita’s relationship with Sylvia, which is at the core of Jacquelyn’s jealousy of her. That was my least favorite part of the book because Sylvia’s dialogue was unrealistic and she didn’t sound like a teenager to me. And speaking of dialogue, the characters often used slang in their speech. Sometimes it was hard to tell whether something was a spelling error or whether the author meant it that way.

Trishita also has no goal in life other than learning. Sure, I can appreciate a character that likes studying just for the sake of it, but don’t most people have an endpoint in mind when they pursue higher education? Trishita has no dream job in mind or future career she would like to have. It made her character seem underdeveloped.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars because overall I didn’t like The Underbelly that much. The book does improve in the second half when Jacquelyn’s nighttime adventures become more dangerous. Both hers and Trishita’s secrets are at risk of being exposed and it makes for a lot more interesting reading. Also, any prospective reader should be warned that the book contains plenty of swear words and sexual language. It also has more than one rape scene.

The Underbelly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AliceofX's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

That's an interesting way to cure insomnia :wink2: . I am intrigued on why she is ruining people's collections. But, because if the profanity and sexual language I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Alrightie then. I definitely wasn't expecting this kind of book from the cover. And, you're right... It doesn't sound like a crime or thriller at all. I think Trishita's actions are despicable. I don't think I'll be reading the book, and I'm sorry you had to!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for the thorough review. I would also be disappointed if I had picked this book and expected some sort of mystery or thriller element to come up at some point. This book doesn't sound like my cup of tea.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

melissy370 wrote: 09 May 2018, 06:53 I am intrigued on why she is ruining people's collections.
At the end, it is revealed why she has an obsession with collections, but I guess it would be a spoiler to reveal it. :lol:
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Interesting. Thanks for the honest review, I'm gonna skip this one.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

I appreciate your determination to finish this book despite the trouble you must have went through. It must have been disappointing to expect something only to have another. Thanks for the review. Nice job!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, Trishita sounds like a real piece of work. Characters like this often leave me questioning who the author knows in real life that spawned this creation :lol2:

Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Jacquelyn Hyde. Great name for a female character with a dark side! A little bizarre though that this book seems to have been misplaced genre-wise. Nice review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”