Review by Farmgurl1 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Farmgurl1 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The 11.05 Murders by Brian O’Hare is a crime thriller about a series of murders that happen at 11:05 on Tuesdays. The book is the second in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries series.

The author starts off by introducing the reader to Detective Stewart, a female detective who has just been promoted to the Serious Crimes Unit. Detective Stewart had a traumatic experience at her last post where she investigated a group of unsavory detectives and ultimately testified against one of them. This led to her being targeted and harassed by her fellow officers. She then gets promoted to Detective and tries to start over with a new unit and leave the past behind.

Sergeant Stewart is immediately thrown into the middle of a murder investigation involving three murders, on three separate Tuesday evenings, and all victims had their watches stopped at exactly 11:05 PM. The team must work quickly to solve the crime, all while dodging a stalker and some ongoing harassment by Stewart’s former colleagues. Will the team be able to solve the crime in time to save the last victim? You must read to find out!

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This novel is very action packed with several characters who could be the potential murderer, and the plot keeps the reader guessing up until the final moments of the story. I also really liked that the story is told from a female detective’s point of view. I sincerely found myself empathizing with her struggle of being a woman in a male-dominated profession. I thought the author did an excellent job of portraying that aspect. The only thing I didn’t like was that I didn’t understand why Detective Stewart was called “WDS” or Woman Detective Sergeant. I couldn’t find anywhere in real life that that term is actually used to refer to a female detective and I really found it demeaning, especially in a novel where the female is the hero of the story. I think the author should have just left it at Detective Sergeant Stewart.

In summary, I think the book would appeal to readers who really like a good crime thriller that keeps the reader guessing with plot twists and turns throughout the story. The book offered a fresh perspective on the crime novel genre with the female detective being the main focus of the story. Overall, the book is intense and thrilling. I found myself on the edge of my seat the entire time, wanting to get to the end to see if my guess about the killer’s identity was correct.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”