Official Review: Sanguinity Point by Peter Palmieri

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Sanguinity Point by Peter Palmieri

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sanguinity Point" by Peter Palmieri.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book Sanguinity Point by Peter Palmieri, Dr. Benjamin Snow is a Pediatric resident. He is the kind of doctor that is so devoted to his work that one time, after having a terrible stomach bug, he made his rounds pushing his IV bag, to the horror of his superiors and fellow residents. Despite his devotion, he also has a difficult time knowing the correct thing to say, not just to patients, but to everyone. He feels like he doesn't quite "fit." After he is involved in a traumatic incident during his rotation at the hospital, he is given a new name by the media, Dr. Baby Killer, and loses his long-awaited Critical Care fellowship. He finds himself with virtually no other hospital willing to even consider him.

With over a hundred grand in student loans to pay off, Snow is forced to take a fellowship in General Pediatrics at the Medina Clinic in Purgatory, Texas. It is the last place he wants to be, and the last kind of fellowship he wants to do. Purgatory is an underserviced town on the border, with all the troubles that tend to go with that. But everything else seems too good to be true. He has a more than generous salary, even though he had no other options of places to go. The newest hospital, El Dorado Hospital, has the best of everything and is making a lot of money, which it seems willing to spread around. It also has a cozy, even preferential, relationship with the Medina Clinic.

Snow has so many questions. Where is all the money coming from? Why won't Dr. Medina, the man who brought him here, give him any information about the money? Is it legal? Who is El Chacal? And maybe even the most critical question of all: What kind of man is Benjamin Snow?

Snow notices more and more behaviors going on at the hospital that cause him to start asking questions, even though he has been told to leave it alone. As doctors begin disappearing, Snow finds himself sucked in even deeper, but will he figure things out in time, and if he does, will he make the right decisions?

Sanguinity Point was just such a satisfying read! Even though it is not a short book, weighing in at 549 pages, it is a quick read. I read it in under 24 hours, partly because I just did not want to put it down, especially as it was coming to the final climax. I found myself wanting to race through to the end.

I was struck by the naturalness of the writing. What I mean is the conversations, descriptions, and backstory flowed so smoothly that I, the reader, became part of the story. There was no awkwardness jolting me out into the real world. I love it when the writer is so good, you forget for a moment you are reading!

I am kind of a sucker for troubled kids with good hearts. The more posturing they do, the smarter the mouth they have on them, often the more I enjoy them, and I enjoyed the relationship Jesus (a smart-mouthed kid if ever there was one) develops with Dr. Snow, or “Snowflake,” as Jesus calls him. In spite of Jesus’ smart mouth and vulgar attitude, Snow can’t help but like him, and Jesus attaches himself to the good doctor like a burr.

The book is interspersed with Spanish words and medical terms. Very few of them are defined, but most of them make sense in the context. I have a limited understanding of Spanish (yet, somehow seem to know a lot of Spanish curse words, go figure), but I was still able to get a reasonably good understanding of what was meant. It is true that these things may be a turnoff for a few people, but for me, they lend authenticity to the book.

This book reads a bit like a mash-up of early John Grisham and Robin Cook. People who like that kind of murder/thriller will likely really enjoy it. Although it is not overly graphic in language or violence, it does have some strong language throughout and scenes of violence so may be better suited for older readers and those who are not opposed to some bad language. This book had a handful of errors: a missing comma, a couple mistaken or doubled words, but it did not detract from my enjoyment of it.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is because of books like this that I am a fan of the C/T/M/H genre in the first place. I cannot wait to get my hands on other stuff Palmieri has written. I have found a new author I love!

Sanguinity Point
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Wow! This sounds like you ran into a lucky find! I'm not much into medical books, but the thrilling mystery behind it is enough to grab my attention. I don't speak much Spanish either so I'm glad to hear that while we might not completely understand what it says, that it is fit into the book in a way where we aren't left scratching our heads. A great review, I'll be keeping this one in mind. My mother loves books like this and mother's day is right around the corner!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

Amberlily wrote: 07 May 2018, 12:42 Wow! This sounds like you ran into a lucky find! I'm not much into medical books, but the thrilling mystery behind it is enough to grab my attention. I don't speak much Spanish either so I'm glad to hear that while we might not completely understand what it says, that it is fit into the book in a way where we aren't left scratching our heads. A great review, I'll be keeping this one in mind. My mother loves books like this and mother's day is right around the corner!
Yes, I definitely feel like I lucked out. He is an award winning author, and I can see why. It is easily the best book I have read in the last several months (and I read A LOT). Thanks for stopping by :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I absolutely love medical thrillers. You've got me hooked on this one by the description already! I'll have to look at this one soon. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:37 I absolutely love medical thrillers. You've got me hooked on this one by the description already! I'll have to look at this one soon. Thanks so much!
Kandscreeley, I was actually thinking about you as I read the book and wrote the review. I seemed to remember reading elsewhere that you are a fan of Robin Cooks books. I used to read a ton of his stuff, but I liked this one even better. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to read it! I hope you love it as much as I did. If it is an added incentive to read it, he has won awards for his writing. (at least one!)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 08 May 2018, 15:04
kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 12:37 I absolutely love medical thrillers. You've got me hooked on this one by the description already! I'll have to look at this one soon. Thanks so much!
Kandscreeley, I was actually thinking about you as I read the book and wrote the review. I seemed to remember reading elsewhere that you are a fan of Robin Cooks books. I used to read a ton of his stuff, but I liked this one even better. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to read it! I hope you love it as much as I did. If it is an added incentive to read it, he has won awards for his writing. (at least one!)
I just looked on amazon, and it's available on Kindle Unlimited!!! I downloaded it, and I'm definitely going to have to read it. It might take me a while with everything else I'm reading, but I'll definitely let you know what I thought!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

This sounds like a great read! I enjoy all types of genres and this review has me intrigued in reading this book. I completely know the feeling of being lost in the story and not know that you are reading. I too have read books in a day. That just means it's that good. I am fluent in Spanish so that is a plus. Thanks for the review. I now have another book for my list.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

arcie72 wrote: 13 May 2018, 01:39 This sounds like a great read! I enjoy all types of genres and this review has me intrigued in reading this book. I completely know the feeling of being lost in the story and not know that you are reading. I too have read books in a day. That just means it's that good. I am fluent in Spanish so that is a plus. Thanks for the review. I now have another book for my list.
Getting lost in a book is my fave thing! If you read it, you will have to let me know what you think about the quality of Spanish usage. One of the complaints I have heard from other reviewers is when an author includes another language in their writing but then doesn't use the language correctly. Hope you enjoy it!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! It seems like a book which can be completed in one sitting and would also be a hell of an exciting ride!
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow, you've certainly sold me! I feel like there has been an abundance of "hospital-related" characters in our reviews lately and I'm not certain if it's a trend or a coincidence but I think I'll enjoy them! Thank you for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

NL Hartje wrote: 20 May 2018, 15:34 Wow, you've certainly sold me! I feel like there has been an abundance of "hospital-related" characters in our reviews lately and I'm not certain if it's a trend or a coincidence but I think I'll enjoy them! Thank you for this review!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The good news is that they seem to be quite well written. And they bring some new little twist to the hospital thriller (is that a thing? I think so...maybe :) ) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Sounds like an interesting story. You positive comments about this book have convinced me to read this one. Thanks for your well rounded review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

Wow! I think I'll be hooked to the book as much as I have been glued to your review. Hospital thrillers are just the best kind...am looking forward to that Snow character. I'm on my way to download it. Thank you so much for your review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You had me hooked with your review. This isn't my style of book, but I could see myself picking it up. Great job!
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

TashaCrispin wrote: 24 May 2018, 02:27 Wow! I think I'll be hooked to the book as much as I have been glued to your review. Hospital thrillers are just the best kind...am looking forward to that Snow character. I'm on my way to download it. Thank you so much for your review.
Thanks for commenting TashaCrispin! I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as I did :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”