Official Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Official Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Kalin Adi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flower Girl Murder" by Keith Hirshland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What are you made of? Are you made of steel and can stand all troubles when they hit you right in your face? Or are you made of solid ice which seems sturdy, yet it melts near the fire? Pat Green, cited at the beginning of Keith Hirshland’s novel The Flower Girl Murder, said “When you finally hit rock bottom, will you do what’s wrong or right? You’re gonna find out what you’re made of in the middle of the night.” How true these words are in life and how skillfully Keith portrays them in his crime mystery novel.

Most of the characters’ lives depicted in Keith’s novel, The Flower Girl Murder, seem unimpeachably real. I often found myself putting on these characters’ shoes wondering, what would I have done if I were he/she? So now I ask you the same questions I asked myself when reading this story, and I truly hope you find the right answers.

If you were a detective striving to catch the murderer of an ostensibly innocent woman named Daisy, what would you have done to find the truth? Would you abide by the law or bend the rules a little bit? This is the case of detective Marc Allen. Or if you were a caring father that unconditionally loves his daughter and discovers a fatal secret, would you protect her anyways or would you turn her in to the authorities? This is the dilemma that Hank Hickock presents in this story. Or think about this situation, you had been living with someone who does not want to marry but loves you, would you still propose marriage? Lancaster Heart underwent through this experience. But the most serious case of all would be when you have done something you aren’t proud of, and you do not want people to find out, but the black box that keeps your secret still opens up, what choices do you have? The flower girl in the story found her answer.

This 258-page novel with fifty-six short chapters is narrated from a third-person omniscient point of view. The reader discovers who the murderer is after meeting the main characters and is left (purposely) pondering if what the murderer did was justifiable or not. Therefore, topics such as moral values, following the dictates of your conscience, how sane a person must be to buy a gun, and accepting consequences of our actions are raised throughout this novel making it a delight to read.

Nevertheless, there were two details that detract my full enjoyment from this book. First, I found the story pace quite slow. The whole story takes less than two years, but Keith’s writing style makes you feel as if you are living each day with the characters, so you don’t feel many exhilarating moments. You are just curious if the murderer is going to be caught and what punishment this person will receive. Second, I wasn’t aware there were going to be some instances of sex (not too explicit) including lesbianism. I think this information should be forewarned in the synopsis of the book in order that the potential readers decide whether to read the novel or not.

Despite the above weaknesses mentioned, The Flower Girl Murder is a treat for lovers of crime and mystery. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the editing of the story was done. I only found a couple of missing periods. I was also pleased to see that the story ending is strong, but needless to say, the ending may not be liked by some readers. In my personal case, I loved it. So, the conclusion of this review, everything having been exposed here, is I rate The Flower Girl Murder 3 out of 4 stars.

The Flower Girl Murder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kalin Adi's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! Interesting. So not really a typical murder mystery per se, but more of a more questioning. That sounds really interesting to me. It's too bad about the editing errors, but they seem easy enough to overlook. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This is a very interesting review! I like your unique take on presenting the summary. I was immediately drawn in by the title, and it made me want to know more. This sounds like a potentially interesting book. I like books that make me ask questions, and this definitely seems to fit that particular criterion. Thanks for the review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I like the way you presented your review, asking questions and following them with examples of scenarios from the book. You were both vague and specific-great job!
Andykoome
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Andykoome »

I like the way you presented the review,great job!
Felicidad

Post by Felicidad »

Your review is really understable.
I like the way you explained it! Congrat's
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

Hi, everybody! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Your insights are really appreciated.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I usually just want an escape when I read mystery, so this might not be for me. Thanks for the great review though.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a very intense and fascinating story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I enjoyed reading this review. I'm a murder mystery fan and was immediately drawn by the cover and title. I wish it was more fast-paced but I'd still like to check it out. Thanks!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kalin. I have performed all the female roles in a wedding entourage (secondary sponsor, bridesmaid, maid of honor, even primary sponsor!) but never the bride nor the flower girl. I still dream to do both, LOL!

So the title really grabbed me. Is this a flower girl in a wedding? Or one who sells flowers? Or a 60's flower-power chick?

I want both your questions and mine answered. So I need to read this book. Thanks for the "scentillating" review, amiga!
sherry-taylor2

Post by sherry-taylor2 »

It has my attention, it sounds very interesting and makes me want to read it and find out what is going on.
Kalin Adi

Post by Kalin Adi »

@The curious ones
Go ahead and check the book out. You'll enjoy it.

@Miriam
You always make me laugh with your comments. My mood is always lifted after I read your comments. So keep posting, please.

To tell you the truth, I've never been a flower girl in a wedding either. And I never thought I was going to be the bride, but five years ago, that forgotten dream came true. So do not lose faith, my friend. Dreams do come true!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

[quote="Kalin Adi" post_id=898627 time=1526429955 user_id=175861

To tell you the truth, I've never been a flower girl in a wedding either. And I never thought I was going to be the bride, but five years ago, that forgotten dream came true. So do not lose faith, my friend. Dreams do come true!
[/quote]

Now we're talking! You have to share your secrets. Ahora mismo! LOL

I'm glad I can put a smile on your pretty face. Don't you worry. You can't stop me from posting. Whether you like it or else.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Relatively short at less than 300 pages, I think I might look into this one on a rainy day. It doesn't sound like most crime/mysteries and I like that! Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”