Official Review: Dark Corner of the Mind by Anthony Anonimo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Official Review: Dark Corner of the Mind by Anthony Anonimo

Post by dhomespot »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Corner of the Mind" by Anthony Anonimo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I just finished reading Dark Corner of the Mind by Anthony Anonimo and it is hard to describe the different feelings that this book brought out in me. This is not a book about love and romance. This is the heartbreaking tale of addiction and a man doing his best to overcome the grip the addiction holds over him.

Anthony experienced his first taste of addition and obsession at the early age of six years old. His first addiction/obsession was for baseball cards. This is the first time that Anthony would steal to feed this monkey on his back. It also the first time that he would face the consequences of his actions. Anthony was hit by a car and almost lost his life. He calls his addiction part of his brain, the Dark Corner of the Mind with its own committee.

While you are reading this book, you will feel your heart go out to Anthony as he struggles to get clean. You will also flabbergasted at how brazenly he would just walk into a pharmacy to steal drugs. I have to say that it is surprising how Anthony somehow managed to stay alive during this time period. There were several close calls when Anthony almost did not make it. He survived endocarditis, hepatitis and overdoses. You might say that he survived so that he could tell his story to others so that they could see that there is hope and they could get clean.

I think this book is a real eye-opener for people who think drug addiction is easy to overcome. There are people who do not believe that it is a lifelong, daily battle just to stay clean. I have personally watch members of my family fight various addictions and some of them have made it (so far) and some of them are still lost in the addiction.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars because Anthony did not pull punches when telling about his journey. He also found a way to keep the story balanced so that the reader would not be dragged down by just the negatives that happen with addiction. I do like Anthony’s sense of humor and his ability to admit that it takes more than just himself to fight his demons. This is a book that I think that every person should read if they know someone who is battling addiction.

Dark Corner of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dhomespot's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review regarding the books which shows how the addiction captures a person, it also tells about how with virtue of will power person try to come out of it
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Thanks for the compassionate review. Too many people think addiction is something you can 'just quit'. It's a daily battle.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

In Anthony's situation, he was introduced to addiction at an early age which is understandable but I wish that many adults would seek alternative ways to relieve stress and to live meaningful and enjoyable lives. Very thorough review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ooh, this story hits a bit too close to home for me. I'm currently working to help my sister out of her addiction and even reading your review makes me sad. I'm glad there are books like this, they're just not for me today. :cry2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
fontnicolle
Currently Reading: His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Christian Home
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fontnicolle »

This review really made me want to read this book! I have people in my life with addiction issues, and your review made me believe that through reading this book I may be able to look at and understand their issues better.
Diane Herrera
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diane Herrera »

I like what you said about "man doing his best to overcome the grip the addiction holds over him". Most of the time people have prejudice against drug addicts. It's nice to have a book with them as a main character to have more room for empathy towards them rather than just judgements. Each one has different struggles, it's important to understand each one's point of view to help one another.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This looks like a lovely read about overcoming obstacles in life, since addiction is not to be underestimated. Thank you for the detailed review.
smartboy
Currently Reading: Bite Me
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by smartboy »

The story is a lesson itself, while young we better stay away from things that can go futher to addiction cause it really hard to let go goog review good book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do not struggle with addiction, but I know those that do. You are right, it's a day by day process to stay clean. This book sounds very intense, and I'm glad that the author is able to share his struggles with others. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

smartboy wrote: 23 May 2018, 07:27 The story is a lesson itself, while young we better stay away from things that can go futher to addiction cause it really hard to let go goog review good book.
This always crosses my mind when I encounter people who smoke and find out they started at a young age. You will never become addicted if you don't try it. I have to admit I probably should read this book because there are some things I know I am quite unsympathetic about. When people create problems for themselves and make life harder than it needs to be, I can be very hard on them. I think this may be more a book for those who are trying to help an addict than for an addict himself. I think a huge part of the problem is addicts don't want to overcome their addiction; that is how strong the addiction is.

To those of you coping with someone who is an addict, I wish you and that person the best. It is so sad to see those of you commenting how relevant this is. :(
Kamau Paul
Currently Reading: UBER Taxi Cab Confessions
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Kamau Paul »

I'll call it bravely. It takes courage to candidly tell your story and especially when it is from a dark bit. I find the book quite captivating and frankly I'll encourage friends and family to grab a copy. Sincere review. Thanks
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm glad the author found a way to achieve balance and include humor in such a heavy subject matter. I hope the book does help bring compassion and understanding to those who are in this type of struggle. Thanks for sharing!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I agree with you that fighting addictions are a lifelong daily battle. Addicts of any sorts are to be pitied and helped. Great review.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

We all have our various addictions, we try to overcome on daily basis. I guess this book will enlighten us on how to go about it. Well done.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”