Official Review: The Criminals by Bruce Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Criminals by Bruce Wilson

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Criminals" by Bruce Wilson.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Orion has just been released from prison. It's time to rebuild his life, so he starts the Black Gangsta Organization. They deal in illegal weapons, drugs and prostitutes. He can't really forget his time in prison, though, especially after being brutally assaulted by three inmates. He's determined that he's going to get revenge.

In the meantime, his bookkeeper decides to skim a little bit off the top of the Mexican Mob. Sadly, the Mexican Mob doesn't look too kindly on this and takes revenge on him and the Black Gangsta Organization. Thus ensues a gang war to end all gang wars.

The Criminals by Bruce Wilson is about 550 pages worth of violence, sexually explicit scenes, name calling and torture. The book is classified as Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Horror. I don't usually do this, but in this instance I'd like to get the rating out of the way early on. I rate The Criminals 1 out of 4 stars.

Having said that, I'll start with the positive. The writing style wasn't bad. There were no plot holes and one scene flowed smoothly into another. Unfortunately, that's all I could come up with.

The negatives far outweighed the nice writing style. The first thing that bothered me was the author's constant use of derogatory terms. The word "*****" is thrown around as if it was as common as the word "the." While this may be the way that gangs talk, I found it offensive. I think that the author could have easily substituted other words that would be just as authentic but be less controversial.

Next, there was only one woman in the book that wasn't looked at as a sex object. That person was one of the gang member's mothers. In a similar manner, there were enough erotic scenes that the book could have been reclassified as erotic fiction.

Continuing forward, the book was filled with explicit drug use. This included step by step instructions on how to shoot heroin. This was highly unnecessary and extremely off-putting.

What's more, there were elements in the book that I thought were extremely unrealistic. For example, the gang members were constantly having juice (cranberry juice, orange juice and apple juice) in champagne glasses. Really? Secondly, one gang member involved his whole family in counseling sessions. Hmm. Maybe I'm stereotyping them, but I just can't see gangsters doing those things.

I also found more than enough grammatical errors to show that this book was not professionally edited. Mostly these errors consisted of missing or substituted words. While not overly distracting, it was enough to make me take off on the score.

It's for these many reasons that I couldn't rate the book any higher than 1 out of 4 stars. I do believe that the author is capable of writing an extraordinary book, but I didn't feel that this was it. In its current state, I can't recommend this book to any audience.

The Criminals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The book title is a strong one though the rating disappoints. I wouldn't go this book. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kemunto lucy wrote: 05 May 2018, 07:22 The book title is a strong one though the rating disappoints. I wouldn't go this book. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for your comments!
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I know you say it's unrealistic that they are drinking juice out of champagne glasses, but I can't imagine how this information could possibly be necessary in a book like this?! Thanks for the review, and the heads up. I have no desire to learn how to do heroin, so I'll skip this one :)
Thanks so much for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too bad, I can see the disappointment through your review. Thank you for the troubles take. It's actually hard to read a book with a lot errors so thank you once again!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 May 2018, 08:44 I know you say it's unrealistic that they are drinking juice out of champagne glasses, but I can't imagine how this information could possibly be necessary in a book like this?! Thanks for the review, and the heads up. I have no desire to learn how to do heroin, so I'll skip this one :)
Thanks so much for the review!
Yes, and that is true as well. Who cares if they are drinking juice or whatever. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 05 May 2018, 08:47 Too bad, I can see the disappointment through your review. Thank you for the troubles take. It's actually hard to read a book with a lot errors so thank you once again!
You're right. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You went through 550 pages of that! I don't know if I would have gone halfway. I would presume Orion is black, as he founded the Black Gangsta Organization, so it's curious that "*****" was used that frequently.

I am also surprised that these thugs enjoyed juices of all kinds; they must be health buffs.
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

I see why this goes for the rating you gave. It can be an overwhelming read with all the vulgar background of the book. I think you were fair with your review. Good job!
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm drinking grape juice while reading this review. I feel so gangsta now lol. I feel your disappointment as I just got through a one star review myself. Thanks for the honesty though, as it just helps everyone in the long run. I can't believe they go into that much detail about the drugs. That's crazy. I'm going to skip this one, even though its in one of my favorite genres.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, I almost grabbed this one! So very glad I didn't! For me, (maybe for you too) it is so painful to give a one-star rating, even if deserved, for someone who has some talent and could have written a great book. Thanks for the honest review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Yikes! I almost reviewed this book, and now I'm glad that I didn't! It's crazy how many authors seem to think that misogyny is a substitute for realism...
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

It does seem like a book which is more likely to have a negative rather than a positive effect on society even after I factor in reverse thinking. So I guess I wont be reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Wha to disappointment! I had seriously considered reading this one, and to discover that it has so many offensive elements is really disappointing. I guess I’m glad to know about that before picking it up to read it, though. For that, thank you for persevering and getting to the review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 May 2018, 14:16 ... the book was filled with explicit drug use. This included step by step instructions on how to shoot heroin. This was highly unnecessary and extremely off-putting.

What's more, there were elements in the book that I thought were extremely unrealistic. For example, the gang members were constantly having juice (cranberry juice, orange juice and apple juice) in champagne glasses. Really? Secondly, one gang member involved his whole family in counseling sessions. Hmm. Maybe I'm stereotyping them, but I just can't see gangsters doing those things.
Sometimes I suspect that authors use lots of explicit sex, vile language, bloody violence and drug use in order to make it sound as though they are streetwise - they think it makes their work authentic, gritty and realistic. However, this is a really bizarre combination of elements. Be that as it may, it sounds like a pretty ugly piece of work - all credit to you for finishing it. You're obviously made of sterner stuff than me.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”