Review by hmooneyham -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hmooneyham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmooneyham.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Review by hmooneyham -- Demon Freaks

Post by hmooneyham »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have always viewed books in the young adult category as a “quick read” or even an “easy read.” Demon Freaks certainly lives up to that judgement, though not because the plot is lacking intellect nor because it is simply physically short. The story is a good size, although I wouldn’t say it’s large. However, every bit of it’s slightly small length is filled with rich storyline, fascinating characters and, let’s just be honest, some hilarious conspiracies. There never seems to be a lull of any kind throughout the book, carrying the reader quickly and steadily through like a fast-moving river. I didn’t want to put the book down the whole time. I was excited to see at every moment what else was going to happen.

The author did a fantastic job at creating relatable and likeable characters, as well as at least one character that you might just love to hate. The characters show realistic emotions, thought processes, and accurate reactions, as well as top notch dialogue. It goes without saying that Demon Freaks was a joy to read.

The story itself is about four teenagers who plan to study all night for the SATs, but those plans go terribly awry. One thing after another sends them on an adventure that pulls them further from the SATs and pushes the boundaries of their beliefs at every turn. They handle everything that is thrown at them (with a certain amount of grace) as they are confronted with ritualistic sacrifice, demonic golfers, a dagger that can possess people, and so much more.

After everything I have read and seen in my life, it is very hard for me to be surprised by a plot. I was, however, pleasantly surprised- and admittedly impressed- by the twists and turns this story took. There were several points where I actually laughed out loud. My favorite part of the whole thing was the role that McDonalds played. It was far-fetched but believable, at least to me. A close second would be the “teethheads.” They are a weird and creepy concoction by the author that add a little flair. It is difficult to explain just what this story is. The only thing that consistently comes to mind is that Demon Freaks is just plain fun.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was refreshingly original and the entirety was well-written. There were very few mistakes throughout. I would highly recommend the book, especially to those who want to escape for a little while. I would even go as far as to say those who would like to relive their teenage years (with a little added excitement, of course). I praise the author on a job well done. I will certainly keep an eye out for things by him in the future. I am very glad I read this!

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hmooneyham's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”