Official Review: Darkness by Matthew Nicholls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Official Review: Darkness by Matthew Nicholls

Post by Elle Howard »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkness" by Matthew Nicholls.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darkness by Matthew Nicholls is an action/murder mystery novel set in the Australian town of Mulwulla. Mulwulla is a typical small town that is free from major crime. The local police deal with the occasional DUI, disorderly conduct, or traffic violation. Officer Angela Smith grew up in Mulwalla. She longs for the excitement of being an officer in a big city. Angela does not realize that things are getting ready to change in Mulwalla. The town drunk, Billy Williams, overhears a phone conversation indicating one of the residents is going to be murdered. No one believes him until Billy is killed. Angela and her father/boss, Sergeant Mick Young, investigate the case. Also helping with the investigation is Senior Detective Daniel McKenzie. McKenzie has recently moved to Mulwulla from the big city. He is attracted to Angela and welcomes the investigation as an excuse to spend extra time with her. Can McKenzie convince Angela to give him a chance? Why was Billy killed? Evil is hiding in Mulwalla and it will take their joint efforts to solve the case.

Darkness has a lot of characters. The author took a lot of time at the beginning of the novel introducing them and providing their background information. I could understand why this was done after I finished reading the novel. However, the book is an action/murder mystery. There was very little action in the first quarter of the book. It was quite boring to me. There were several times that I considered abandoning the novel. I am glad that I did not give up because it ended up being a great story. The killer was quite sinister and cunning. There were several twists at the end that I did not see coming.

My biggest criticism would be that the novel needs to be edited. There are a lot of grammar, spelling and general errors that are quite abundant throughout the novel. The author needs to do a very thorough proofreading. A few examples of errors are: strait-laced instead of straight-laced, Veges instead of Veggies, Working Class instead of working class, “What is he’s out there” instead of “Why is he out there?” The errors did not detract from my enjoyment or understanding of the plot. But they are distracting and make the novel seem less polished.

Another criticism is that there are two secondary characters named Helen in the novel. The first Helen is Angela’s best friend. The other Helen is the hardware store owner's wife. A lot of the interactions between the characters occurs in the local pub. The dialog in the novel often lacked description on which character was talking. I found it very confusing when they would discuss Helen.

Overall, I did enjoy reading the novel. The main characters of Angela, Mick, Mick’s wife and McKenzie were all very well presented. There was enough background information provided to make them appear realistic. Their interactions were believable and the dialog helped progress the story. The minor characters also added to the story. The dialog and behavior at the pub is consistent with what you would expect from a small town where everyone knows everything about everyone. It was fun reading the pub conversations because there was a lot of sharing of the local gossip.

I rate Darkness 2 out of 4 stars. There is a lot of good writing in this novel. I would love to have been able to give it a higher rating. I lowered the rating 1 star because the book needs to be professionally edited. There are significant errors throughout the book that could not be ignored. I took away an additional star because the early chapters of the novel needed more action to keep my attention. This is a good novel that has the potential to become a great novel with a few changes. I enjoyed the story and was completely caught off guard by the ending. This book would appeal to fans of Stephen King because of the monster hiding in plain sight theme.

Darkness
View: on Bookshelves

Like Elle Howard's review? Post a comment saying so!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

One piece of advice to all authors, edit your books. I am finding this to be a common theme. Thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for the good review. I usually like crime novels but might give this one a miss because of the editorial issues.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Reading through your review, I found it very satisfying that what you wrote explained all I needed to know about whether I should decide to read this book or not. I am more into biographies and nonfiction, so I probably won't read this one. Love your profile picture. It appears to be the Asiatic lilies. Thank you!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

For you to reduce an entire ONE star simply because of errors is a big-step. This just proves only one thing that the errors aren't simple. It is very important to have clarity in a good read and maintenance of interest. Too bad, the synopsis captivated me. Thanks for the heads-up!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It sounds like the author was not being careful in how the story was unfolding. I'm glad you stuck it out and that the action finally showed up. Thanks for a great review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

SABRADLEY wrote: 11 May 2018, 09:53 It sounds like the author was not being careful in how the story was unfolding. I'm glad you stuck it out and that the action finally showed up. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for the comprehensive review, and like sabradley, I'm glad that patience paid off and the book realised its potential. I am tempted to pick it up!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”