Official Review: Miller's View: La Isla de la Muerte

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Miller's View: La Isla de la Muerte

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miller's View: La Isla de la Muerte" by Marlene W Potts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miller’s View: La Isla de la Muerte by Marlene W. Potts is a novella from the Miller’s View series. It is a mystery with a bit of the supernatural. As this is not the first book in the series, and I had not read any of the others, I was a little lost at first, but it did not take me long to get caught up with who the characters were and what was going on. This was helped by a short “what has gone on so far” found in the prologue.

The “Miller” of the title is Detective Jonathan Miller. He and his wife have just arrived at their honeymoon destination: La Isla de la Muerte. Yes, you have read that right, The Island of the Dead. Although the name is off-putting, the travel agent has assured Miller that, in spite of its name, it is actually a lovely destination and nothing bad has gone on at the island for centuries, and it is perfect for his honeymoon.

Shortly after their arrival, however, Miller intervenes in a domestic violence incident, and then the bodies begin piling up, and Miller is on the hot seat for them. In the fight to prove his innocence Miller has a secret weapon, a pair of round, gold-rimmed glasses. These glasses, created by a voodoo priestess, enable him to speak with that priestess as well as some spirits. They also have some additional special powers that he must secretly utilize to help prove his innocence and solve the mystery of who is behind the killings before any more people die. They might also help him solve a cold case death of a young girl. It is a case that seems to have some connection to what is currently going on.

Although the book touches on the supernatural, and violence, it is not graphic or needlessly violent. There are a couple of intense moments, but only those who are easily spooked, or adverse to books involving the supernatural, like voodoo and spirits, will be bothered by the subject matter, and this book is appropriate for YA and above, although it is probably too scary for younger audiences.

As I said above, this is a novella. I read it in just a few hours. The book moves along at a brisk pace, somewhat spare in extraneous details, as novellas tend to be, but having just enough to keep you interested, with a satisfying and complete ending (no cliffhangers here). However, it does contain spoilers for previous books in the series, so if you are one that is bothered by that kind of thing, then I suggest reading them first. After having read this book, I look forward to reading more by Potts.

I enjoyed the book enough that I would have liked more detail: descriptions of scenery, more in-depth relational descriptions, things like that, but that is a personal preference and would move the book from being a novella to a full-length novel. The main complaint I have is that the book could use one more time with an editor. There were some formatting issues with indentation, missing quotations or periods, or double words, and a couple of mistaken words. The book was still enjoyable, and for the most part, these minor mistakes are easily overlooked.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. A final edit to clear up any issues would move it up to a 4-star rating.

Miller's View: La Isla de la Muerte
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am a C/T/M/H fan, so this is a book for me. I wonder if the island is a real place; who would name their island so morbidly? And if it were real, why would I want to spend my honeymoon there? Maybe Miller and the wife are the quirky kind, huh?

This is my first time to hear of eyeglasses with special powers. Let's see where Potts will take this insightful series.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

This book is definitely something I'm interested in. The main issue with this is that I typically don't enjoy novellas, but like you said in your review, this is a personal choice. I can't wait to check it out, the ideas sound great!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Kat Berg wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 22:43 In the fight to prove his innocence Miller has a secret weapon, a pair of round, gold-rimmed glasses. These glasses, created by a voodoo priestess, enable him to speak with that priestess as well as some spirits. They also have some additional special powers that he must secretly utilize to help prove his innocence and solve the mystery of who is behind the killings before any more people die.
And that's the point at which I know this book isn't for me. I'm not averse to the odd bit of supernatural stuff, but I don't really want it getting mixed up in crime detection, particularly if it then becomes a "special powers" thing. To me, that's like trying to play a game against someone who's blatantly cheating. However, it sounds like a fun read for those who feel differently - thanks for a very helpful review.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It sounds interesting and I like the supernatural component. I love richly detailed imagery and relationship insight, so I feel this book might underwhelm me. I appreciate your insights!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

bnoy wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 01:37 This book is definitely something I'm interested in. The main issue with this is that I typically don't enjoy novellas, but like you said in your review, this is a personal choice. I can't wait to check it out, the ideas sound great!
I believe some of her other Miller books are longer.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

SABRADLEY wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 12:25 It sounds interesting and I like the supernatural component. I love richly detailed imagery and relationship insight, so I feel this book might underwhelm me. I appreciate your insights!
I too love the richly detailed books. I think, for a short book, she does an acceptable job of adding necessary detail to build the world, characters, suspense, and move the story along to a complete finish. But it is not quite the same as the kind of book that has you hooked for weeks. This is for those times when you want a quick, entertaining read. Maybe at the beach, or a short weekend that also has some busy spots. :) Thanks for commenting.
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Libs_Books wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 02:00
Kat Berg wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 22:43 In the fight to prove his innocence Miller has a secret weapon, a pair of round, gold-rimmed glasses. These glasses, created by a voodoo priestess, enable him to speak with that priestess as well as some spirits. They also have some additional special powers that he must secretly utilize to help prove his innocence and solve the mystery of who is behind the killings before any more people die.
And that's the point at which I know this book isn't for me. I'm not averse to the odd bit of supernatural stuff, but I don't really want it getting mixed up in crime detection, particularly if it then becomes a "special powers" thing. To me, that's like trying to play a game against someone who's blatantly cheating. However, it sounds like a fun read for those who feel differently - thanks for a very helpful review.
Yeah, there are many who feel exactly as you do, although perhaps for different reasons. (You are the first one who has called it 'cheating' :) ) I am of the thought that all is fair in love, and war and detecting. (Ok, maybe not all things, but many things are fair.) I actually am kind of a fan of those cross-over genres. They work for me. But purist out there do not agree!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

How sad that that all happened on their honeymoon; though, I suppose some people would absolutely love a good mystery on their honeymoon. It sounds quite intriguing and not too graphic. I might have to look into this one! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book is a beautiful blend of supernatural, mystery themes. However, the name of honeymoon destination is very difficult. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 01 May 2018, 01:00 The book is a beautiful blend of supernatural, mystery themes. However, the name of honeymoon destination is very difficult. Thanks for your critical review.
I do not care HOW smooth-tongued the travel agent was, there is no way he would have been able to convince ME to go to that destination for my honeymoon:) yes, it is a difficult name!
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:29 How sad that that all happened on their honeymoon; though, I suppose some people would absolutely love a good mystery on their honeymoon. It sounds quite intriguing and not too graphic. I might have to look into this one! Thanks!
Perhaps it is a sign that I read too many mysteries that I didn’t even notice how calmly the bride reacted to all the death and mayhem!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with Miriam. Who goes to "Death Island" for their honeymoon? Even though that makes me chuckle, sounds like the book offers an interesting plot. Thanks for the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A mystery with a touch of the supernatural revolving around dead in Island of the Dead sounds exciting. Brisk pace, spirits, and murder add to the thrill. The honeymoon of Detective Jonathan Miller and his new bride doesn't go as expected. Well, the name of the Island is a clue enough... Too bad about the lack of descriptions and lack of editing. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The real estate agent in this book must be really good at his job. I can't imagine going to a place called "Island of the dead" on a honeymoon. Since this is a novella, I will probably give it a try as it is short. The supernatural elements in this book definitely makes it even more attractive to me.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”