Official Review: Minion or Master III by Martin Smith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Minion or Master III by Martin Smith

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Minion or Master III" by Martin Smith.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Minion or Master III by Martin Smith is the third book in an action-packed series following George Howden, a twenty-five-year-old businessman who is more than meets the eye. The book picks up where the sequel left off, and immediately dives into a fast-paced narrative filled with danger, revenge, and shady business deals abroad.

The story opens with George travelling to Hong Kong where he is set to pitch the details of a lucrative business contract to the Bank of China. Trouble has a way of finding George, and we quickly learn that things aren’t always as they seem. As George finds himself in the heart of Hong Kong’s notorious gang scene, he begins to suspect there is an evil mastermind at work in China-one that holds the key to solving his father’s death. The events that transpire will jeopardize not only George's safety, but that of those closest to him. What remains to be seen is how far George is willing to go to get the answers he so desperately wants.

For those who enjoy an action-packed novel, Minion or Master III does not disappoint in that department. The narration is omniscient, disclosing the thoughts of many individuals, so the reader is never left with unanswered questions for too long. The book does well as a standalone if the reader has not read the two books preceding it in the series; the author does a great job providing the pertinent information to comfortably follow along without divulging everything that has previously transpired. I was impressed with how the author clearly researched various topics in order to give a sense of authenticity to much of the book’s material. I also enjoyed the way the author ended the book, leaving the possibility open for another installment of the Minion or Master series.

Unfortunately, that is where my praise for this novel ends. Missing punctuation and peculiar formatting were just the tip of the iceberg, as the book was exasperatingly ripe with errors of every sort. The internal monologues were weak and unrealistic, often venturing into completely irrelevant topics. Sadly, the dialogues did not fair much better; the speaking mannerisms of the characters were often indistinguishable from each other. The author’s choice of a present tense narrative did not compliment the pace of the story or his writing style, and was ultimately quite frustrating.

I think the author has a great series on his hands, but it needs a lot of work to reach its potential. The plots and subplots are creative and overflowing with the possibility for excitement and suspense, but there are simply too many subpar elements to this book to rate it above 2 out of 4 stars.

Minion or Master III
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I suppose our own internal monologues do wander about all over the place, but it's not good when that happens in fiction, especially if it's primarily an action novel. I like the way your review highlights the book's potential.
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 15:42 I suppose our own internal monologues do wander about all over the place, but it's not good when that happens in fiction, especially if it's primarily an action novel. I like the way your review highlights the book's potential.
You make a really fair point about the monologue! Thanks for reading and commenting :)
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Sounds like it is a pretty decent book, although not one I would readily read.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like this one has some potential. It's just too bad that it wasn't realized in this novel. It sounds like a very frustrating read in its current format, so I'm going to pass. I appreciate your review, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Mouricia25 wrote: 26 Apr 2018, 20:37 Sounds like it is a pretty decent book, although not one I would readily read.
Thanks for stopping by to read and leave a comment!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 07:18 It does sound like this one has some potential. It's just too bad that it wasn't realized in this novel. It sounds like a very frustrating read in its current format, so I'm going to pass. I appreciate your review, though!
I hope the author makes the necessary adjustments. Writers can only grow when willing to embrace constructive criticism. Thanks for reading/commenting!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder what action and thrills will accompany a businessman making an investment proposition. But the mention of Hong Kong made me think of Jackie Chan; that's action and thrills personified. Do we have car chases and hand-to-hand combat scenes here?

I wish the author would partner with a good editor, especially if he intends to attract a loyal following for this series.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 02:37 I wonder what action and thrills will accompany a businessman making an investment proposition. But the mention of Hong Kong made me think of Jackie Chan; that's action and thrills personified. Do we have car chases and hand-to-hand combat scenes here?

I wish the author would partner with a good editor, especially if he intends to attract a loyal following for this series.
Spoiler******Kidnapping with the intent to extract information (torture), human/sex trafficking, and recon missions. But while these are thrilling scenarios, their delivery was really lackluster.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a pity that the dialogue fell flat. Seems like this book could be a real winner - too bad :( Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 10:17 What a pity that the dialogue fell flat. Seems like this book could be a real winner - too bad :( Thanks for the review, I really enjoyed it!
Thanks so much for checking out my review and leaving a comment! :)
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

How far we are willing to travel to get the truth about someone who mattered the world to you? Now your life is in the balance. I understand the low star review and would like to read this book minus it's issues.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Jamasenu wrote: 03 May 2018, 22:10 How far we are willing to travel to get the truth about someone who mattered the world to you? Now your life is in the balance. I understand the low star review and would like to read this book minus it's issues.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

In an overcrowded market, books with a good story alone aren’t enough. The entire package is important, from realistic characters through to formatting, spelling and grammar. Shame this one fell a bit short.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”