Official Review: The Amazon Detective Agency

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Amazon Detective Agency

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Amazon Detective Agency" by Patrick Oster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have a soft spot for mysteries told in the first person with a witty narrator, and The Amazon Detective Agency by Patrick Oster definitely hits that spot. Protagonist and amateur sleuth Melissa McGinty is a Supreme Court police officer who works the night shift. By day, she heads the Amazon Detective Agency, named so because of it’s all-female staff. One night on patrol, Melissa finds Supreme Justice Oglethorpe dead. Considered a suspect because she found the body, Melissa decides to get her girls on the case, both to exonerate herself and to get her detective agency on the map.

However, tracking down the killer turns out to be more complicated than Melissa could have imagined. Literally everyone is a suspect, including the president of the United States, big business executives, and Oglethorpe’s cleaning lady. Can Melissa and her Amazons crack the case before it’s too late?

This is a delightfully fun mystery steeped in politics. The story hits the ground running in chapter one with the finding of Oglethorpe’s body, and the pacing stays strong throughout. Melissa’s hilarious voice, the crisp dialogue, and lots of laugh-out-loud humor make this book a breeze to read. I especially loved the Amazons, who reminded me a bit of a high-tech Scooby Doo all-girl gang, with Melissa’s boyfriend standing in for the lovable canine companion. Tesla—the hacker of the group, appropriately named after Nikola Tesla—is my favorite. If Melissa needs to get in touch, she leaves a note at a designated location, and Tesla appears. I really want to know more about Tesla. At the same time, I never want to know because it would destroy the magic.

There is a lot of politics in this book, particularly about the election process. At a few points, the amount of information felt a bit overwhelming, but those places were few and far between. Oster does an excellent job of keeping the information understandable and conveying it in Melissa’s entertaining way. At the end of the book, Oster lays out his background as a political journalist and explains the election history in the book is accurate. Personally, my knowledge of voting extends to showing up on voting day and pressing the buttons. I would have enjoyed this book without the in-depth look at the processes, but having them included didn’t detract from my reading experience. I actually learned some stuff, which is never a bad thing for me.

The Amazon Detective Agency takes place primarily in the Washington D.C. area. I’ve been to D.C. a couple of times and remember the feel of the city. We saw very little of the city in this book, and sometimes, this felt like it was taking place in a small town. There also isn’t much in the way of a subplot about Melissa’s life. Her investigation gets her in trouble at work, but that’s as personal as things get. I also got the impression from various lines throughout the book that Melissa was narrating the events as if looking back on them. She would drop hints starting with phrases like “little did I know” at intervals. For me, this served to dull the suspense a bit. The story wouldn’t suffer if those tell-tale lines were removed. None of this bothered me beyond being briefly taken out of the story, but readers who find these things overly annoying may wish to skip this book.

For a wonderful story with truly entertaining characters,
I rate The Amazon Detective Agency 4 out of 4 stars. The little things that interrupted my reading experience didn’t bug me enough to lower my rating. Mystery is not a genre I read often. This one’s title caught my interest, and I’m so glad I picked it up. I’d love to read about more adventures from Melissa and her Amazons.

The Amazon Detective Agency
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it does sound interesting, but I think there would be too much politics for me. I really get too much of that in real life that I don't want it in my fictional stories. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I actually saw this on the review list and contemplated it, but ultimately went with the book I'm reading now. I'm glad to know it was worth the read and I'll try to when time permits. Even though I'm not generally into books involving politics, I've always had a fascination with PIs and I LOVE the idea of an all-female agency with a funny lead, so I'm willing to overlook those parts. It's also interesting that EVERYone is seen as a suspect, even the president (though I wouldn't doubt it with our current POTUS!); how in the world does that happen, *lol*?... Thanks so much for the thorough review!
Lavidainlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavidainlife.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lavidainlife »

Sounds like a super fun book to read! I love it when books are funny enough to get me to laugh out loud. I'm not very into politics, but I do love a good murder mystery and this all girls PI club sounds intriguing. I might have to check it out!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

A mystery with humor is always a winner for me. I am like you about voting, but I guess there must be a reason why the author felt the need to include facts regarding the election process. This book sounds so entertaining, and I thought as I read your review that maybe it would lead to a sequel. Very cute name for the all women investigators. I enjoyed this review, and now I have to go look this one up, so thank you for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I really like the sound of this one and may add it to my list. Interesting comment about that "little did I know..." stuff - I always find that irritating, but thought it was just me.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I, too, love the idea of an all-female detective agency. I am a sucker for any writing with a quick wit, and punchy lines. This sounds like just the thing. I am not as big of a fan of the political angle, but I can forgive almost anything if it is funny. Mysteries also tend to be my favorite go-to book, so this is high on my list of want to reads.
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

Thank you for your review! Melissa and her team sound like a strong group of women who I would want to join! Although the politics portion of it deters me a little, this sounds like an exciting read! I love anything mystery/crime related.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

Thank you for your honest review. It sounds like this book would be very nice for a new immigrant learning English, where they could also learn a little about the political process in the USA. I'm glad to know it didn't detract from the story. I will keep the book in mind if one of my former colleagues from Asia ever moves here!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

This sounds like an absolutely amazing read. I love a good whodunnit, and witty narration is so hard to come by and such a big bonus--I'm tempted to pick this up myself!

Thank you for your review, it's very well written (and insightful!) and I really appreciate the effort that went into writing it :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”