Official Review: Jate's Boy by Peter P. Sellers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: Jate's Boy by Peter P. Sellers

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jate's Boy" by Peter P. Sellers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sophia Butler is one of the biggest stars in the diminishing sport of harness racing. Her husband, Michael Butler, is serving a sentence at the Adirondack Correctional Facility in New York for conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Sophia is also a member of the notorious Tanzini family, and they are on a mission to separate Sophia and her husband…by any means necessary. The story covers the often overlooked (especially in fiction writing) sport of harness racing, complicated family dynamics, love and lust, betrayal and murder.

Jate’s Boy by Peter P. Sellers is the fourth book of The Michael Butler Saga. It is a complex tale from beginning to end, and it takes readers on a wild ride with unexpected twists and turns. The book is crowded, but not overcrowded, with a diverse group of characters that at times can make it hard to distinguish between who is the bad guy and who is the good guy. Every player in this narrative has his or her own selfish motives, complicated pasts, secrets, and hidden agendas. Even Sophia and Michael Butler, who are the main characters, are not typical protagonists. Given some of the choices they make throughout this book, it might be difficult for readers to root for them at all times, and that is a refreshing change from some of the unbelievable protagonists readers find in other stories. Jate’s Boy is a story that does not ignore the complexities and desires of the human heart, making for a realistic narrative.

The author does a fantastic job at drawing readers in from the beginning of the story as Michael Butler is arrested for without initially being given a reason. From there, readers are left with the need to find out if he is guilty, if he will be released, and what the state of his relationship with his wife Sophia will be in. This wonderfully written group of characters also makes it so that even readers are not always sure who the villain is, and obstacles are being faced on all sides. The best feature of this story is that it is never boring. It also strays away from the mundane crime and suspense novels by introducing readers to harness racing, something that is unexpected in this genre. The author does a great job presenting a well-researched narrative on this sport while mingling it with suspense, great characters, and unexpected events. Readers are also introduced to the Tanzini family, a mafia-like group ,and their henchmen, or hit men.

There are not many negatives in this story. The only three small exceptions are perhaps that the story jumps back and forth between characters so often; it would have been nice to spend a little more time reading about the big players in the book and learning more about their histories. Instead, some sections only devote a couple of paragraphs at a time to characters before jumping to the narrative of somebody else, which at times can be a little confusing, distracting, and make it hard to form a connection with some of the more crucial characters in the book. The narrative is also always in third person, except for the character of Michael Butler, who is written in first person. While this style could be attributed to the fact that he is the main character in the saga, it can be confusing at times. There were also a few errors with spelling and punctuation, such as cardiology being misspelled as cardialogy. For this reason, this book is given 3 out of 4 stars.

Overall, this novel is a breath of fresh air with its dynamic characters and harness racing angle. It is also a nice change to be unsure of who is good and who is bad because that is reality. The book is suitable for any individual who likes crime and suspense. It is also suitable for all age groups other than children. There is language that could be offensive to some, so for those who are sensitive to that, take that into consideration.

Jate's Boy
View: on Bookshelves

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the review. The story sounds nice given that there is a mixture of crime and suspense. The introduction seems very catchy it will definitely leave the reader wanting to go on reading to discover what happens next.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

It's great when a book gives you an insight into a whole new area of life, but I'm not sure that's quite enough to attract me. I appreciated your comments about the realities of life - people don't (on the whole) divide easily into 'good' and 'bad'.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I like what you shared about the author not ignoring the complexities and desires of the human heart, thus creating a realistic narrative. Not always knowing who is good and who is bad does add interest to the story! It would also be enlightening to learn about harness racing. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 07:25 Thanks for the review. The story sounds nice given that there is a mixture of crime and suspense. The introduction seems very catchy it will definitely leave the reader wanting to go on reading to discover what happens next.

Thank you! The author did a great job adding just the right amount of suspense to the story.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:41 It's great when a book gives you an insight into a whole new area of life, but I'm not sure that's quite enough to attract me. I appreciated your comments about the realities of life - people don't (on the whole) divide easily into 'good' and 'bad'.
I thought harness racing was a unique aspect to the story, especially the genre, but there was definitely more to capture readers' attention!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 07:25 Thanks for the review. The story sounds nice given that there is a mixture of crime and suspense. The introduction seems very catchy it will definitely leave the reader wanting to go on reading to discover what happens next.
The author did a great job with combining crime, mystery, suspense, a little bit of romance and unique material.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree that the author was able to create compelling suspense when introducing the section of Michael Butler being arrested without being given reasons. I would definitely want to know. Very good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”