Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: What Happened To Flynn by Pat Muir

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happened To Flynn" by Pat Muir.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Happened to Flynn by Pat Muir is a police procedural mystery novel set in San Diego, California. It follows detective Shanisha (Shane) Notfarg as she works on the missing person case of Arthur Flynn. Detective Shane works in the homicide section of the San Diego Sheriff’s Office. Her work includes handling missing person cases. They are considered potential homicide cases. Since this is a police procedural novel, the focus is mainly on the detective work related to the case. There is some discussion about the difficulties of being an African American female police detective but beyond that, there is little mention of personal relationships.

Missing person cases of healthy adults are not a favorite of most detectives since most adults turn up sooner or later. Usually, the missing adults have chosen to disappear for a variety of reasons. In this particular case, Arthur Flynn is reported missing by his boss when he doesn’t show up at work after his fishing vacation. Detective Shane gets the case after it has passed through local channels with little success. This case starts out with a simple idea of a man not wanting to be found and progresses into investigations of money laundering and murder. The case becomes quite involved and complex as it goes on. I found myself very curious to know how it would all play out. I really wanted to know what happened to Flynn. This was a well-designed mystery that was fun to read.

I found the mystery to be very interesting. It was a good puzzle and the pieces fit together well. The story came together in a logical way. I enjoyed following along as Detective Shane and her team worked their way through the case. It took a while to get everything set up in the story. However, as the book progressed, I became more and more interested in what would happen next. There were many enjoyable twists and turns in the story.

This was definitely a police procedural novel. There was little focus on the personal aspects of the characters. I don’t need a love story but I do like a few bits and pieces of people’s lives. We did learn a few details about a few of the characters. However, I also like to get a good feel for who the characters really are. I found this book to be very factual in dealing with both the case and the characters. I would have enjoyed gaining a better sense of the personalities of the people in this book.

I am happy to give What Happened to Flynn by Pat Muir 4 out of 4 stars. This is an excellent police procedural novel. It is interesting, detailed and well put together. There were very few typos in the book and it was very well edited. I really enjoyed this mystery. I might have considered giving it a rating of 3.5 out of 4 stars, if that was possible, just because I would have enjoyed a bit more in-depth characterization. However, that is my personal preference, and this was an excellent novel. Those that really enjoy understanding the process and details of detective work will really enjoy this novel.

What Happened To Flynn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Snowflake's review? Post a comment saying so!
peace starts with a smile...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I've read this recently and agree with pretty much every word you've written.
I even agree about the characterization, whilst at the same time finding it a refreshing change to have a detective who does not have a complex personal life or inner demons to battle with.
jessicaoei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jessicaoei »

This is probably one of the books I was genuially interested in. I loved how the settings and the theme evolved. It has a mysterious plot,unexpected plot twists and a very complex character. It’s what makes a mystery novel so good. I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Police procedural novels are my usual cup of tea. I've read one here and there, but they tend to be a bit dry for me. Still, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It does seem like it has a good mystery to it! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I typically enjoy a good missing person mystery but I couldn't make it through the sample of this. It was far too dry for my taste and I can easily see the lack of characterization just from that little bit. It is nice, and different, to have a detective who doesn't bog down the story with a bunch of personal problems (that always seem to be way beyond the norm). But I do like to connect with the characters to some extent.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The lack of character development is a turnoff for me. I want to get to know the characters and care about what happens to them. It does sound like the mystery itself is done well, though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

When the author puts in the time to make the book move along and keep the reader interested, that is a good book. The storyline sounds like something right out of the headlines. I have read about various individuals not showing up for work, and while the missing person is not a homicide case, it comes out later that this person was into some shady dealings. Fiction is sometimes not so far from the truth. Good job on this review, it sounds like the author got you with this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
Sherline86
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sherline86 »

I read this book and I found it very interesting
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Great review of this one. I am a fan of mystery thrillers, especially those that involve missing persons. I wish the author had spent more time developing the characters though.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I love police procedurals so I'm sure this one would keep me intrigued. I agree that character development is good - as long as not overdone, which can slow the story down - but the detective work, mystery and quality of What Happened To Flynn would definitely keep me interested. Thanks for your review.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I'd have to say I agree with much of what you have written. Thank you for writing this.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am a mystery fan, but I prefer books with at least some character development and backstory. Although the plot sounds interesting, I don't think this one is for me. Thanks for a thorough review!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like a good mystery and this one sounds intriguing. I do wish the characters had more depth though.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”