Official Review: The Dark Knight of the Soul

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: The Dark Knight of the Soul

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dark Knight of the Soul" by Kelly bristow.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dark Knight Of The Soul by Kelly Bristow is a psychological crime thriller. Jenny has been diagnosed as having PTSD after she was mugged and her car and purse were stolen. She takes time off work but instead of getting better, she becomes increasingly anxious as her husband becomes more and more demanding and abusive. Haunted by terrifying nightmares, she starts to fall apart and contemplates suicide.

Unfortunately, this is a book with an identity crisis. It appears to be unsure as to whether it is a psychological thriller or a psychology textbook. The content of the opening chapters is exceptional. Bristow’s description of the terror, confusion and helplessness experienced by Jenny, as her husband rages at her, are incredibly vivid. He puts her through harrowing mental torture while isolating her from her friends and family, so she has nobody to turn to. I could feel my own stomach clenching with tension and dread as I read.

Then the community health team arrived, and for me, the story started to go wrong. Ellie, the occupational therapist, sits down with Jenny and I suddenly find that rather then reading a thriller, I’m now reading an in-depth, textbook description of the role of an occupational therapist. This is followed by the biological impact of stress and a detailed description of the four pillars of healing (described as rooms). It’s all very technical and I’m sure would be fascinating in a self-help book, but in a thriller, it brings the action to a grinding halt and the tension is lost completely. We later have Freudian and Jungian dream interpretations, a technical overview of narcissism and a lecture on glands. In amongst all of this, there’s a serious crime being planned, but it sometimes feels rather incidental to the plot.

Moving on to structure and style, this book desperately needs an editor. It reads like a first draft as there are many typos, sometimes more than one on a single page. There is confusion over ‘there’, ‘their’ and ‘they’re’, ‘bear’ and ‘bare’, misapplied apostrophes and missing capitalisations. I could go on. There are also problems with the structure. Jenny will be examining a necklace and will then return a bracelet to the jewellery box. Her husband got rid of her car, yet Ellie knew that both Jenny and her husband were home because there were two cars on the drive. Jenny has absolutely no money, yet she buys two weighted therapy products to the tune of £200. The author also has a trick of framing statements as questions. Now some people do talk like that, “I’m making coffee?” but all of her characters do it, giving them all a similar voice.

To make this book better, I would suggest that the author do what all authors are asked to do at some point, which is to ‘kill your darlings’. Bristow is an occupational therapist and the list of psychology references at the end of the book is impressive. Therefore, I can see that the psychological angle is important to her. However, it doesn’t sit well in what should be a punchy crime thriller. So my advice is to ditch the psychology. Bristow is also a survivor of domestic violence and that is where the writing is really strong and totally gripping. There are two very good books in here, but they need untangling. Unfortunately, I can’t recommend this book, but the strength and emotion of the writing leads me to give it 2 out of 4 stars.

This book, as it stands, would appeal to people interested in the psychology of domestic abuse.

The Dark Knight of the Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

What an interesting insight! Before I read that the author has a background in psychology, I was thinking the author may have been a victim that went through vigorous therapy and compiled all of that into this book. I like how you noted the identity crisis; it is paramount to pick a genre and stabilize the narrative around it. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

SABRADLEY wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 00:33 What an interesting insight! Before I read that the author has a background in psychology, I was thinking the author may have been a victim that went through vigorous therapy and compiled all of that into this book. I like how you noted the identity crisis; it is paramount to pick a genre and stabilize the narrative around it. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Thank you very much. The author was a victim, so what you thought is probably true. Whether she became an occupational therapist afterwards or was one already is unknown.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Good point about the uncertainty over audience and purpose - it seems to me that's a major weakness for many inexperienced authors. 'Kill your darlings' - good to be reminded of that, too.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Libs_Books wrote: 20 Apr 2018, 14:38 Good point about the uncertainty over audience and purpose - it seems to me that's a major weakness for many inexperienced authors. 'Kill your darlings' - good to be reminded of that, too.
Thank you, ‘kill your darlings’ is may favourite advice after ‘get an editor’ :lol2:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review, Helen. You really address the somewhat split personality of this crime thriller, and I can see how the psychology theory would slow down a gripping story, which sounded like it started well. It can be frustrating to read a book lacking professional editing, too. I will steer clear of this one!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

joshfee77 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 22:33 Great review, Helen. You really address the somewhat split personality of this crime thriller, and I can see how the psychology theory would slow down a gripping story, which sounded like it started well. It can be frustrating to read a book lacking professional editing, too. I will steer clear of this one!
Thank you, I’m afraid you’re likely to come across quite a few books that need editing. I’m astonished at how many authors are skipping this vital step.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's quite astounding, actually, that authors skip the editing step. I find that even with a proofread BY the author, a lot of these mistakes should be caught. It's sad. On a different note, great review. I love your line about being two good books in need of untangling. Sums it up perfectly :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 15:13 On a different note, great review. I love your line about being two good books in need of untangling. Sums it up perfectly :)
Thank you :D
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

What would bother me the most would be that the book really isn't a thriller. Thank you for the honest review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 23:10 What would bother me the most would be that the book really isn't a thriller. Thank you for the honest review!
Thank you

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”