Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Re: Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Ashal »

Sounds like a book many can relate to especially if they have worked closely with another person of the opposite sex. Sometimes, as the saying goes opposites attract and what started off as a bad beginning ends a beautiful ending
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

I love good characterization in a novel. I also like that the relationship between the primary protagonists isn’t romantic. I never understand why most every thriller needs a romantic relationship to bolster the action. Great review!
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I'm always in for a good mystery book ! This one looks really interesting I can't wait to read it.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 11:08 From the review and comments of those who have read the book, it seems this novel is strong on characterization and also on unpredictability. Crime thrillers (based on police/detective work) are usually quick and easy reads for me. I should be adding this to my to-read list.
I really should read this novel asap
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I find it refreshing as well that romance is not developed between the characters. Based upon your review I am more intrigued of this book and look forward to reading it in it's entirety. I like strong character's, and I adore a female in a strong role. Thank you for your review! I feel like this is going to be a fantastic read!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Ariel Lynn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariel-lynn.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Ariel Lynn »

I love books with good character development. If they're important enough for me to read about, I like at least a little detail with them. I am the type to enjoy a little romance in my thrillers so I'm not sure if this would be the book for me. I loved your review though!
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84

Post by Seamstress »

Already read this one and whike I woudn't call book overly original it was quite enjoyable. Plot was interesting, characters believable - what more is there to wish for?
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I never read thrillers, moreover about police (except if it's from a different era). It doesn't offer me an escape I seek in books. Therefore, I believe this book is not for me. Although, the lack of romance between the main characters is positively surprising.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
darkqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkqueen.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by darkqueen »

at first i thought it was a romantic book but after reading your review only i came to know it is a detective story.great review it really helped :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this was an interesting crime novel that deserves a second look. It breaks the model of a predictable crime story and has well developed characters. Well done.
JenniferIsle
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 1082
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by JenniferIsle »

Finally a book whose crime drama unfolds amongst characters who have flaws that makes the reader feels sorry, for the characters for being human. It rather unusual for the witness in crime drama to be so uncooperative. This stand apart from other crime drama because their no romantic There is. O romantic entwinement between the main characters, the working homogeneity between remains intact. It allows the detectives to have clarity throughout their investigation. Sometimes romance between characters can ruin their work relationship and it change outcome of the story.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The story of two struggling partners trying to solve a crime seems interesting. It's a good book with well-driven characters. It's a good crime thriller. I'd love to check this out later. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

The book started off with action and mystery right away, which I love. Well-written prose with an immediate sense of urgency. The perfect way to start a suspense novel. Can’t wait to read more!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ddugger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddugger.html
Latest Review: The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Ddugger »

Nothing tickles the imagination more than a crime thriller with striking characters and an unpredictable plot. It’s the sort of book my sister always had to flip to the closing passages to skim because she just couldn’t take the deferred reward of waiting for the ending. I appreciate the excellent review and plan to read this book, cover to cover, exactly as the author intended - one page at a time.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

Im not really into crime thrillers but your review makes it sound very interesting. Its refreshing to see that the main charaters are not romantically involved, its a nice change. Great review I'll have to read this one.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”