Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Re: Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by DorcasToo »

This goes to my want to read shelf. I love crime thriller especially when its not predictable and this looks like one . Thanks for the fantastic review.
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

I really enjoy shows that show the investigation process, I like your comparison of the two. The book sounds great, thanks for the informative review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

It sounds good that the author totally bucks the predictability of the typical crime thriller book by removing the romance "norm" between cop partners among other things. A lover of this genre as I am, I would like to check it out if I could get an idea of what the storyline actually is. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Patox »

A good work of fiction which describes situations found almost everywhere in the world.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like character-driven novels with several twists and turns. So it is a good choice for the the fans of crime thriller. Good Review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Classcoug
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Classcoug »

I enjoyed the provided excerpt. It has an interesting story line and leaves you wanting to find out what happened to the injured construction worker and allows you to see the bond beginning to form between the partners.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm glad to hear that this book avoids stereotypical thriller elements as well as the cliché of the main characters falling in love. Sometimes a man and a woman just become work partners and/or friends, and I'm happy to see a book exploring that possibility. I don't know how I feel about the ability to put this story into any urban setting rather than have it unique to New York, but that isn't a big problem for me. Thank you for the thorough review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from your review, White Night by J.J. Holt seems to be an engaging crime thriller that will keep its readers hooked. With well-developed characters (with emphasis given on even the minor characters), this book leaves nothing to complain about. Thanks for the review!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thanks for the review, I felt it was very to-the-point, short but highlighting all the necessary details.
As for the story, not many thrillers can qualify as 'character driven', and being able to draw almost all the characters with a distinct flavor is something quite unusual in this genre. I am glad that this book shows both. I am really intrigued to read this one.
ducksphilip
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by ducksphilip »

White Night. A typical thriller that can adapt in any urban centre seems good. The review has already set the pace, and I already feel immersed without opening a page. The character merger of two damaged lives for such a striking assignment is nothing more than unique, showing the resilience of the human spirit.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

It's great when the characters are written so well that they feel like real people. This sounds like an amazing story, with fantastic characters. I just may have to consider buying it (eventually). Thanks for your insightful review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

The book sounds awesome. I hope to read it.
Moinak123-
Favorite Book: The Da Vinci Code
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Moinak123- »

White Night by J.J.Holt
The book has an excellent portrayal of characters and quite a descriptive storyline. The thrills and the drama required in a detective story have been well blended to make it a quite interesting. I think that after a long time I have been able to read a book which I can place at par with that of Arthur Conan Doyle.
It deserves 4 out of 4 Stars.
shelsapreads
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by shelsapreads »

I agree that crime thrillers can tend to follow a rather predictable sequence; it sounds like this one adds some variety. I am a sucker for a character driven novel! This sounds like a good one!
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book White Night by J.J. Holt on Amazon. It is an exciting book, a page-turner. From the first chapter, I got engaged in the story and kept reading to know how the story is progressing. A nice crime thriller. And the review by ViziVoir further supports my opinion about the book. :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”