Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love crime thrillers and most of the time I enjoy romance being thrown into the novels I read, but I have to agree that in this instance it is refreshing. I'm glad to read this novel is not predictable and has good character development. I'm always on the hunt for a new police procedural series so I will definitely add this to my bookshelf.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I like character-driven stories. Uncooperative witnesses and many antagonists are not the usual elements of thrillers, so I think I will enjoy this book.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

An unpredictable crime thriller is just my cup of tea. Thanks for your engaging review!
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

Sounds like a unique and interesting crime novel. I like that it is more character driven than your typical crime procedural.
kelvin-nai999
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kelvin-nai999 »

This is one interesting book.Its story is the one you would like to know how its ends.Its a pitty for detective Connor working with NYPD.Her life is one motivating,after all the investigation and hard work,jen Connor ends the story with some sorrow.That really touched me.Its a good story.Much better than a movie
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

Just read the sample for this book, and I'm already hooked! Character-driven-plot is exactly right. The author must be a pro at reading people! Every nuanced action and reaction bring these characters closer to the flesh, and the way in which they are so humanly flawed, and helpless, and so realistically tragic is absolutely fantastic. Kudos to the author! Cheers to the reviewer!!
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Wow. I don't often enjoy thrillers or police procedurals, but I'll have to make my choice for this one based on the writing. It sounds so well fleshed-out and different. Thanks for your review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I hope that Detective Jen's career holds, and that her uncooperative and damage partner, Detective Alan, can work together to solve the murder mystery! I'm glad the author does a great job in creating a suspenseful, unique crime thriller novel. Also, I like that it is easy to distinguish between characters. Character-driven novels can make great stories, but it's even better that there is no romance between the protagonists; it's refreshing. I'm not too big of a fan of police procedurals, but I'm glad you enjoyed this one immensely. Thank you for insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read the review of the book White Night by J.J Holt. This review is written by Gracedscribe.
This is the story of two police employees Connors and Ross who like to each other also they do their duties to handle the tough situation at jeopardy and competed the catastrophes. This was the last case of Connors dealing with duty at that place. The tough time given to Connors was handled by herself so strictly performing her duty as a police lady. There is no romantic scene seen between both members of loving couple in the story. I liked this story the most. i will also recommend to read it must for other readers.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Hmm mixed feelings - thank you for the review.
I like stories with settings in NYC as a New Yorker, but it doesn't seem like anything new to me.
I feel like it's just another crime thriller that I have heard before.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

Sounds like a refreshing read in this genre in several ways. Specifically, you have mentioned distinct individual characters, a protagonist who is not overly confident right from moment one, and not forcing romance into a situation where it is not necessarily called for. Thank you for a very good review that makes me want to read this book even more than I already did.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

From the review and comments of those who have read the book, it seems this novel is strong on characterization and also on unpredictability. Crime thrillers (based on police/detective work) are usually quick and easy reads for me. I should be adding this to my to-read list.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Well drafted review, I like that the author didn't feature in any traces of romantic feelings and that the story line has unpredictable pattern unlike many crime thriller books. Am adding the book to my book shelf.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for your review of White Night by JJ Holt. It was really positive and informative. I agree there is in-depth character development, including both their strengths and weaknesses. The book draws you in right away with a description of an attempted murder. It then introduces the main character, Jennifer Connors, who is returning to the job after suffering injuries on her last case. She's under pressure to prove her abilities and deal with a reluctant partner.

I'm looking forward to finding the connection to the white nights in Russia. The author seems to be very knowledgeable and experienced. A book I'm looking forward to finishing! Good choice for BOTD-
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

From your review, this book sounds like it would be right up my alley. I like crime/police novels and from the sample I read I can tell that I would like this book. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”