Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Re: Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Libs_Books »

ViziVoir wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 15:12 White Night is very character-driven, and while it takes place in New York City, I felt that the story could be transposed to practically any urban setting with very little difference.
When I read the title, I expected the book to be set in St.Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) as the 'white nights' are the summer nights when it never gets properly dark.

I really like the sound of this book - character-driven and no romance. The importance of minor characters make it sound a bit like the ScandiNoir dramas that are so popular at the moment, at least on this side of the Pond.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 01:35 When I read the title, I expected the book to be set in St.Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) as the 'white nights' are the summer nights when it never gets properly dark.

I really like the sound of this book - character-driven and no romance. The importance of minor characters make it sound a bit like the ScandiNoir dramas that are so popular at the moment, at least on this side of the Pond.
That's actually discussed in the book, but I'm afraid I can't really say much more without spoilers! I was really happy there wasn't any romance, too; so often authors just shoehorn in a romantic pairing for cheap interest.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I also gave this book a 4 star rating. Good point on the lack of romance between the two main characters - I hadn't picked up on that and I agree it is quite refreshing!
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Character-driven thrillers + No romance = A fresh breeze and an intriguing read. Thanks for the lovely review.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

White Knight looks to be an interesting crime story involving Connors an injured police detective with a less than cooperative partner, Ross. There are a lot of characters and plenty of action. This should be a good read for lovers of C/M/T/H novels, especially those who appreciate the lack of romance in this thriller.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

A character-driven detective novel sounds very interesting as they are often plot driven.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller following two Detective Jen Connors and her new partner as they solve their first homicide case together sounds exciting. Character-driven, realistic relationship, believable characters, and intriguing plot should make a good read. That there is romance between Connors and Ros is certainly refreshing. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a horror mystery thriller novel with an enticing captivating plot that will definitely draw you in, and an incredibly inciteful onlinebookclub review. The book can be found for free on Kindle Unlimited. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Shraddha_rc
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddha-rc.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shraddha_rc »

I have started reading this book and it has intrigued me from page one. Can't wait to complete it.
oogies
Currently Reading: A Tale of Two Cities
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oogies.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by oogies »

Your review made me want to read this book! I have added it to my "want to read" shelf. The fact that there is no romance between Connors and Ross excites me as it is a refreshing change from the normal trend of storylines that you usually find.
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

A character-driven story could really affect the reader. The female lead character can make a difference in the crime thrilling plot. I am looking forward to making some time to this book. Congrats for being a BOTD.
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.”
― Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader :techie-studyinggray:
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

The chatacterreviews sound very interesting and mysterious, hoping to finish reading this next week foe me to know the ending of the story.
Ish-rat-Nawaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ish-rat-Nawaz »

It is amazing very interesting & very informative story, specially its title is very attractive, I really enjoy to read this story.
Neha_20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-20.html
Latest Review: The Flower Girl Murder by Keith Hirshland

Post by Neha_20 »

I love crime thrillers, especially when the storyline isn't predictable. Your wonderful review definitely makes me want to read it. Thank you!
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

After sampling the book, I've had a distinct feeling that Connor and Ross might begin a romantic relationship, and it would have been nice to see them develop through the enemies-to-lovers trope. Disappointed that it isn't the case. Thank you for your review!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”