Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading murder mystery and the plot sounds very interesting and refreshing. Will definitely add this to my to be read list.
Amina-Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Amina-Ibrahim »

Thank God this book is different. I am tired of all those books where the detectives/investigators spend more time thinking about the attraction between them rather than the culprit.
MozGatehi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MozGatehi »

The characters makes the whole story sound like a movie. And that way it makes the reader interested to know what happens next, from one chapter to the other. I love it!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like this detective novel for its unpredictability. I hope Detective Jen Connors will be able to salvage her career after a devastating accident. Thanks for the nice review.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I liked that you mentioned that the book has many characters but did not hesitate to develop each of them. it's such a remarkable feat from the author. I signed up to review this book. A character-driven crime-thriller? Sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thanks for this review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Marindy
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Marindy »

I love the unpredictability of crime that is coming out from the review , character focused , it's also an engaging novel with a great ideal suspense. Can't wait to start reading the book.
Annie_Pea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie-pea.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Annie_Pea »

White Night sounds like an interesting book and the name itself is appealing. I have read this reviewer's comments and it is enlightening how the impact of the chararcters and police procedurals are brought to the forefront in this book. I do love a good detective novel and would love to read about a night coming to rescuse a damsel in distress, but I do believe in this book it would be the opposite. Holt sounds like it has certainly put a spin on this one and I would love to check it out. Thank you for the review.
seki1016
Currently Reading: The Eleventh Commandment
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seki1016.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by seki1016 »

The reviewer made a concise summary of the book. I understand that I expect to read the story of two new friends stopping crimes. I would like to read the whole book because I like adventurous stories.
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The book with developed characters and realistic events is a must read. And being a fan of thriller, I will not pass the opportunity to read the story. Nice review!
Becca9109
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Becca9109 »

J.J Holt does a good job of hooking the reader right from the first few paragraphs. I like that the book immediately opens to an action scene. I've always held to what I was told as child, give a book at least 2 chapters before you give up on it because most take that long to build; not this book. I'm already hooked and debating on buying the book right now. I also like that it seems like the book may continue to flip between the characters. I don't normally read crime or cop books but I definitely going to make this one an exception.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

White Night by J.J. Holt is a police procedural about a mysterous gun homicide that turns out to be just the 'tip of the iceberg' for other crimes. Two New York City detectives, assigned to the case, are trying to restore their stalled or damaged careers and one wrong move could be fatal to their professions. Vizivoir tells us in a review of the book that this procedural is unpredictable, that the story does not get into a messy entanglement of twists and turns, even with several plot streams in play, and that many characters figure in the book but all of them are no cardboard characters and they resonate like real people. It takes a very purposeful, skilled, and disciplined writer to bring all the subplots and characters in the direction of a satisfying reveal and resolution of the case.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

This sounds like a thrilling murder mystery novel. I like that all the characters are developed, regardless of the amount of time they get in the book. I also find the lack of romantic interest between Connor and Ross refreshing. Thank you for a wonderful review :)
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Character-driven stories, especially crime thrillers, are always very interesting to read. This sounds like a great one.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Most of the time we only see a cop at work, following a scent. This story gets you the private struggles as well. Good review and congratulations to the author.
aron kipngetich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aron-kipngetich.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by aron kipngetich »

It is a creative story built within it perfect qualities. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”