Official Review: The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Surrogate" by Dimitri Markov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Surrogate by Dimitri Markov is a medical thriller. This book invites readers to think about in vitro fertilization and its complications and consequences.

Marina Bonnaserra has suffered violence and loss in her past. It has left her frightened and timid. She has never married and isn’t too thrilled with her current boyfriend. Nevertheless, she makes the bold decision to undergo in vitro fertilization to have a child. Her experiences with the doctors and the foundation that offer this service lead her down unexpected avenues. She believes the foundation is withholding information from her and is determined to uncover the truth. As Marina follows clues that could answer her questions, she uncovers things from the past that both surprise and horrify her. Have her doctors been honest with her and her care? Can one person go up against a giant foundation? Will she discover how many of her eggs were fertilized and what ultimately happen to them?

The book is written in third person omniscient. This gives the reader insights into what motivates people to choose this service. Marina’s motives are understood as her past is revealed. The doctors’ motives for certain actions are also exposed. The apprehensive tone created by Marina’s search for the truth and the actions taken by the doctors, create a foreboding and suspenseful mood.

The plot of the story is very well developed. Marina’s trials are presented and developed throughout the book. There are also several subplots that contribute to a well-rounded story. Everything comes together in an exciting climax that leaves the reader both surprised and satisfied.

I really enjoyed the way the author included accurate medical information about the procedures involved in the in vitro process. This lends a certain informational flavor to the book and enriches the fictional aspect. I also thought the author described the subplots exceptionally well and weaved them in with the main story. Everything was tied up neatly and a plausible explanation given.

There were a few things that did not appear believable. One was the unnecessary repetition of names. “I’ll be seeing you again Dr. In court, Dr.” Also, some of the translation was rather awkward. A remote control is called a remote control unit. Another example of an awkward translation is, “Of that, you can count on.” I also found numerous spelling and grammar errors.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot, the characters, and the information make for an entertaining and informative story. This book could be improved with some professional editing. People who read medical mysteries would enjoy this book.

The Surrogate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Badmuscynthia
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Badmuscynthia »

so intriguing, this book is one to learn from, and it makes you see life from a surrogate dimension and at the same time makes you reason with people that involves in it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read something like this before. It seems it's a rather common theme for Sci fi stories. Still, I'd like to see the authors take on this! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Badmuscynthia wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 08:46 so intriguing, this book is one to learn from, and it makes you see life from a surrogate dimension and at the same time makes you reason with people that involves in it.
It is a very interesting read. The author also adds suspense and mystery. I really enjoyed it.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 17:45 I've read something like this before. It seems it's a rather common theme for Sci fi stories. Still, I'd like to see the authors take on this! Thanks.
Hope you give it a try. It was very, very interesting.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

There are so many ways to present a book review and I learned something new from yours. Keep it up and happy reading to us!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Misael wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 04:34 There are so many ways to present a book review and I learned something new from yours. Keep it up and happy reading to us!
Thank you for your motivating and encouraging message!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book seems interesting. But it looks a mixture of some medical and non fiction love story. Good review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

As kandscreeley commented. there seem to be quite a few books on this theme about - but then, fair enough, I suppose, it is an important topic.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I have never read a medical mystery so far in my life. I think that I will enjoy this one. Too pity that it is poorly edited...
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
RodneyKB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RodneyKB »

This medical book its really great, I never thought I could enjoy it,keep the high good work!

Blessed we are for learning from it Dimitri!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Asen Stoyanchev wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 06:07 I have never read a medical mystery so far in my life. I think that I will enjoy this one. Too pity that it is poorly edited...
Sounds like this book is right up your alley. Enjoy!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Libs_Books wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:56 As kandscreeley commented. there seem to be quite a few books on this theme about - but then, fair enough, I suppose, it is an important topic.
There are other books with the same theme. The twists the author gives this story are what makes it unique and interesting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

RodneyKB wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 06:31 This medical book its really great, I never thought I could enjoy it,keep the high good work!

Blessed we are for learning from it Dimitri!
Appreciate the kind and encouraging words. Thanks!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like a really interesting book. I do like stories that are backed up with sound research. It’s a pity about the lack of an editor. It seems that an awful lot of authors nowadays are skipping this utterly vital step.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”