Official Review: Hurricane Justice by Patricia Watkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Hurricane Justice by Patricia Watkins

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hurricane Justice" by Patricia Watkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patricia Watkins has written her sixth novel, Hurricane Justice. It is a thriller revolving around a love story, set in New England.

Finn Westlake, an engineer diver in Sarasota, FL, comes upon a damsel in distress. Diana McGuire's father was out in his airplane with friends, when it suddenly nose-dived into the river. Finn's diving experience helped him rescue the men from the sinking plane. Chester McGuire, an important figure in his home state's political scene, invites Finn to visit them in his New England mansion anytime he wants to escape the Florida heat.

While recovering from injuries sustained in the diving rescue, Finn decides to visit the McGuires in New England for some rest and potential romance. However, he stumbles upon a secret that sends him spiraling into a life-threatening situation in the middle of crooked politicians and criminals. Will he survive the ordeal or lose Diana forever?

This book was primarily set in the New England area, with the beginning in Sarasota, FL. There wasn't much time spent in Sarasota, FL, but the author used vivid descriptions when discussing the New England area. Her nautical details made me feel as if I were on a boat in the middle of the New England waters. During the hurricane scenes, I felt as if I should be holding on tight to something.

The characters were varied and well-described. I could picture them in my head. Finn Westlake, the protagonist, and his love interest, Diana McGuire, were portrayed in detail. I could see their love shine through on the pages of this book. Diana's politically-minded father, his business cronies, and their associates were all believable characters. I actually loathed a few of them.

Ms Watkins has created an intriguing story that caught my attention on page one. However, there were a few parts in the middle of the book where I got bogged down. Some things seemed to be drawn out. Those sections weren't enough to keep me from enjoying this thriller, though.
I noticed a few grammatical errors, but they didn't distract from the story. Also, the dialogue seemed stilted in places and not how people really express themselves. It was a little too "formal" at times.

Other than the previously mentioned areas, I truly enjoyed this novel and rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys suspense and romance. I look forward to reading more novels by Ms Watkins.

Hurricane Justice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a really good read, but I'm not sure that it's quite my cup of tea. There are so many books that have (what sounds like) a similar formula and there doesn't appear to be anything that makes it stand out - so, although you ploughed on through the less thrilling bits, I think I would give up.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A damsel in distress is a classic story line. It sounds like a pretty good thriller to me. I'm not sure about the bogging down in the middle as I have a tendency to get lost there if it doesn't keep me enthralled. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The plot sounds interesting although I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the comprehensive review
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I like nautical thrillers, so I think I would enjoy this book. The fact that the characters are well-developed is a great plus for any book, and the title and cover are intriguing. The review was well done. Thank you for sharing.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Gsamour
Currently Reading: I'll Point to Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsamour.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gsamour »

Thank you for your review! This book sounds like an exciting adventure. The way you described the hurricane scenes in the book, make it seem very enticing.
Delilish6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Delilish6 »

Sounds like an adventure on a deserted Island just afar from the plant crash. As love goes it turns a page or two then is always win and sometimes it's lost. History involves two characters who meet then work to find their way to the end of the fairytrail. Reviewing the book's story line could take you away if your an inspired romantic. Ğood post!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”