Official Review: The Good Fight by Dan E. Hendrickson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: The Good Fight by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good Fight" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Commander Jacob Edwards is a hero. He risked his life and career to save the daughter of the Mexican president from a child rapist. The only people that were more proud of Commander Edwards than the Mexican people were his wife and daughter, Danielle. Author Dan E. Hendrickson tells the story of Danielle’s life after her father’s mysterious and devastating disappearance in The Good Fight: Book One of The Last Enemy Series.

Jim Edwards would love for his granddaughter, Danielle to become more involved in his wholesale auto business. She is smart and has a true understanding of how to successfully run the business. However, Danielle’s passion is her nonprofit dance studio. Outside of work, the two continue to comfort each other as they cope with the loss of Jacob and the other family members that were aboard the ill-fated airplane.

Jim’s persistent client, Boris, has a serious interest in purchasing the business from the Edwards family. Jim adamantly refuses. Still, Boris will stop at nothing to gain ownership of Jim’s company. Jim and Danielle board a ship under false pretenses. The scheming Boris sends them on a voyage that could cost them more than just their successful business, and the knowledge they gain could change their lives forever.

The first ten pages, leading up to the rescue of the Mexican president’s daughter were a bit rough. I lose interest in military business details. The information could have been condensed down to five pages without taking away from the suspense of the rescue. Also, Jacob is a widely beloved character, but the only thing I know about him is that he selflessly rescued the little girl. I would have loved more information on his character. Also, Danielle’s character needed more development. I wanted to like her, the few things I learned about her made me think I liked her, but as a main character, I definitely needed more from her. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this novel. The action and suspense created an engaging story. The villains in the story were so despicable that I anxiously awaited their downfall.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This novel lacks the character development that I crave as a reader. There were a few grammar errors, but these errors did not cause distractions. Readers with a love of action, conspiracy, and heroism will enjoy this book. The Good Fight is a heart-pounding story of love, loss, conspiracy, and suspense.

The Good Fight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Thanks for the review! My favorite books are those where I feel like I know the character, I can understand wanting more in that arena. Sound like an interesting plot though - appreciate the insights!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I would have gotten lost with the military business as well. It does sound like this book has its good points, but I don't think I would enjoy it. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The story seems to deal with how to cope with the loss of a loved one. Too bad the author didn't develop more the main character. Although I like action and suspense stories, this one is not for me. Thanks for sharing your insights, though!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

I wonder what the villains really did.?
and how well she did run the business! I guess only the book can tell me that.
Thanks for the review.
yours sincerely,
Mr Benji.
Books are lovely.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Interesting plot. The book, however, looks like there's a lot infused in it. I agree with you that narrowing it down plus eliminating the errors could take it to greater heights.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the review. The book has hard topics like kidnapping and child rapists and I think it might be too emotional for me. However, from your review it sounds interesting. Great review
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

You are right. Though the plot is fantastic, a detailed characterization of the main character would have been interesting. Thanks for the review.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

From the review I fell like am watching some action movie. The story seems interesting and thrilling .
read2u
Currently Reading: Unveil your Intimate Self
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-read2u.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by read2u »

Who doesn't love a novel that includes intrigue, syndicated crime, family relations, and romance involving the Coast Guard, FBI, Mexican law enforcement, cartels, smugglers, automobile auction wholesalers, dance teachers, and martial artists. Whew! Not my type of subject matter but, it does sound interesting. Thanks for a good review.
Auntyluu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Auntyluu »

Sounds like an interesting read from your review. Would definitely want to read it. Thanks
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3037
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I would also speak of the same thing if ten pages are taken to describe an act that would be narrated in less words without it losing its meaning. Too much wordiness can be a spoiler.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
carneysm50
Favorite Book: Freedom Is For The Birds
Currently Reading: Middlemarch
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carneysm50 »

4/25/2018

This comment is to update a previously disapproved comment about the official review of The Good Fight by Dan E. Hendrickson. The main character seems to be the grief of a loved one and how the Grandfather and Granddaughter cope, each in their own way and also together. The official review explores the loss, the struggle of two people and their grief. The review was successful in pointing me to the results of loss, grief and the pending continuence of life without a loved one.
Manzaka29

Post by Manzaka29 »

Loved this book. I was very surprised by the ending and looking forward to the next book in the series
lucygachiri
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by lucygachiri »

Interesting,thrilling and it keeps you on the edge.Would not mind to read it again.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”