Official Review: Deadly Focus by Sue Hinkin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Deadly Focus by Sue Hinkin

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deadly Focus" by Sue Hinkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Lucy Vega, a photojournalist, is asked to investigate and photograph a car wreck in a Malibu canyon, she makes the horrific discovery that the victim is none other than her uncle, Henry Vega. Having lost her family to a similar incident in her childhood, Lucy is distraught and in disbelief as she experiences the trauma of sudden loss all over again. Her uncle’s death is declared accidental, but when Lucy spots a Los Angeles County homicide detective and the Counter-Terrorism Unit at the scene, she doubts the coroner’s conclusion. Thus, Lucy begins her search for the truth. Could it be that his death was the result of something sinister? Who would want her uncle dead, and why?

Deadly Focus: A Vega and Middleton Mystery by Sue Hinkin is a compelling, fast-paced thriller that takes readers on a treacherous journey in search of truth and justice. It is the first book in its intended series and the author’s debut novel.

One of my favorite aspects of the narrative is the strong, smart female protagonist. She is not perfect, however. While I found myself rooting for her, other times, I thought she risked too much, including the lives of those around her due to her tendency to be impulsive. The narrative, written in the third-person and coupled with the author’s writing style, paints vividly who the other characters are as individuals. Thus, the supporting characters seemed well-defined, and it was easy to care for them as well.

The author does a great job with the description of scenery and atmosphere creation, and the narrative conveys place and mood expertly. Spanish words were used whenever we encountered Spanish speaking characters and in Spanish speaking locations. The meanings of the Spanish words could be deduced from the context.

Right from the first chapter, the narrative had me in its grips as I was fascinated by the plot and wondered what would happen next. By the sixth chapter, we had already witnessed the crime, knew the facts and who the perpetrators were, as well as some of their motives. I became worried, especially with more than three hundred pages to go; I thought there wasn’t much left to tell. However, I quickly realized I was wrong, as there were plenty exciting elements during the investigation process and unexpected plot-twists that had me enjoying the narrative all the way to the action-filled ending.

Overall, the plot and characters worked well in weaving an engrossing tale. I did notice some typos and grammatical errors, but they were few and didn’t take much away from my experience. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The novel does contain detailed violence scenes and instances of child sexual abuse. Thus, it is suitable for a mature audience. I recommend Deadly Focus to fans of the genre and more specifically, those who love howcatchems.

Deadly Focus
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Sold!* Yes, this sounds great - love the sound of the strong and smart protagonist. The point you raise about taking too many risks, though - that's a real issue in this kind of fiction, isn't it? Authors do it a lot, and I suppose they have to, just to move the plot along or create tension, but I do get impatient when I feel the protagonist is just being stupid.

*Well, not literally, but it's going on the list.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love a good murder mystery. In the synopsis you mention a counter-terrorism unit but in your review you don't give any hints about why they might be involved. That makes me very intrigued...

I'm glad this was such an enjoyable read and that the story picks up rather quickly but never loses momentum. I'll have to add this to my bookshelf for later.

Thanks for the review. I enjoyed your insights.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that if the author is going to use foreign words, that they are definable by the context. It sounds like a really great crime novel. Very intense. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaybanny54
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaybanny54 »

nice concept by author
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

The summary alone has gotten me intrigued, and now that I've read your thoughts about it, I think I'm going to try this out! I especially like that there are exciting elements as well as unexpected plot twists in the story; they're perfect for keeping me engaged since I'm always worried about my short attention span. Thank you for your review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Your review of this book has certainly captured the mystery that surrounds the plot. I look forward to reading this book.
reesa_samoa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reesa-samoa.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by reesa_samoa »

I, for one, love a good mystery book. Especially if there are a lot of twists and turns. I'll be adding this to my bookshelf. Thanks for a great review that has my interest peaked.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I can only imagine what Lucy went through seeing her uncle like that. It's easy to empathize with her. This book captures my attention and I can't wait to start reading it. Thanks for the review
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Excellent review, thanks, Ritah. This sounds like just my sort of thriller, and done particularly well. Always good to see a strong female protagonist in a crime thriller. Will add it to my bookshelves.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller revolving around a photojournalist that investigates her uncle's death sounds intriguing! I like books with strong female protagonists and great atmosphere. I dislike violence and child sexual abuse scenes, but if they aren't that many I will risk it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Thank you for your review. Deadly Focus sounds like an interesting concept, but not a genre I'm usually interested in. I do like that the author included a strong female protagonist but didn't make her perfect. Impulsiveness during high stress situations is an entirely reasonable flaw for Lucy to have.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Galideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galideon.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Galideon »

I absolutely love books like these. Solving mysteries and all that. I love these free giveaways.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

It sounds like it would be a great read, I just downloaded it on Amazon and I'm looking forward to it
Mozee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mozee »

Fact that the author just never let the foot of the the gas from the beginning is a definate read. thorough review. Much appreciated. Now on to my shelf :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”