Official Review: Pursuit by John McAllister

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: Pursuit by John McAllister

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pursuit" by John McAllister.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pursuit by John McAllister is 362 pages of a thriller with plenty of murder, mystery, and action. From the first sentence, “Killing RM seemed like a good idea.” you can tell that this story is going to be action-packed. The major theme of the story consists of the police and several groups of criminals trying to find a former government official who has disappeared. Some want to kill him and some want information from him. For much of the story, the man that they are looking for is totally unaware that anyone is looking for him. He is just trying to recover from a break down that he experienced. This story is overlaid with rivalries and power moves among the various members of the different criminal groups.

It is interesting to watch the similarities and differences in the methods used by the police and the criminals. They both use information gathered from the phone company. The police have to go through legal records requests and wiretaps. The criminals gather information through pressure on key employees. The police and the criminals both ask people questions. The police can threaten court, fines, and jail time. The criminals threaten physical and financial pain.

The main character in the story is Doc. On the surface, he appears to be a typical gun for hire. But, as the story progresses you find out there are many layers to this man. The author does an excellent job of developing Doc’s character throughout the story. The author also develops many of the lesser characters to a level needed to make a good story.

The action takes place in England and Ireland. Although some of the terms and expressions used are different from those that would be used elsewhere, they are understandable enough to not be a major distraction from the story. It is not like some books where the local slang is so prevalent that it is hard to understand the meaning of what is being said.

I really liked the way the author revealed the depth of Doc’s character. The fact that he had principles even though he was thought of by most as muscle and a gun. Also the fact that he had an intellectual life that even his closest allies did not know about. I did not like the fact that at times it was hard to follow who was doing certain actions. However, it turned out to be intentional misdirection.

If you enjoy action, suspense, intrigue, mystery, and general thriller novels you will want to add this one to your reading list. It is a good book and can have a wide audience. Violence and murder are part of the storyline. These scenes are not overly graphic but I would not recommend this book for young teenagers and children. There are also a few sexual situations, but again, they are not graphic in their descriptions. I would not recommend this to the truly pure of heart.

I caught a few editorial errors but not nearly enough to detract from the enjoyment of the book. Certainly, there were not enough errors to decrease my rating of this book. I would defiantly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book was enjoyable and complex enough to keep you guessing what would happen next. I am looking forward to reading more about Doc and his coworkers.

Pursuit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Everything about this book, from the title and cover to plot and character development, makes it attractive for me to pick it up and start reading! Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

I hope you enjoy it.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

You presented so little information while writing a completely thorough review. I want to know who will find the man being hunted and what they want with him.

Sometimes the hoops law officials have to jump through can be so annoying. The law is not always in favor of the law abiding. I hope the good guys prevail!
Wise-wonderfulMamaw
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wise-wonderfulmamaw.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Wise-wonderfulMamaw »

Pursuit... Just the title draws your interest. Intrigue and mystery are right up my alley. The setting being in two of my favorite places are also a plus. Looking forward to this read!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Murder, mystery and action are exactly what I'm looking for in a book. I'm really looking forward to reading this book because from your review it sounds intriguing. Great review
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Thanks I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”