Official Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Official Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Containment Breach" by Wm. A. Yandell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out of all the sci-fi novels I’ve ever read, Containment Breach by WM. A. Yandell is one of the most unique. Told from the point of view of a scientist involved with a top-secret, militaristic society, the story almost seems like a mix between the sci-fi and dystopian genres. Except for some confusing formatting which makes it slightly hard to follow, this book is a combative, high-stakes adventure that should satisfy even the most critical reader.

Dr. Walt Smithton is a high-clearance research scientist working in a research facility with a strict hierarchy, where the researchers experiment with creating and developing synthetic life forms in a highly secretive and secure environment. When the government sends in military and official mind readers to investigate the facility for no particular reason, he becomes nervous that they’ll find out his secret. However, his secret is not the mind readers’ focus. They’re looking for the perfect group to send into space to help clean up a very expensive and deadly mess – an experiment has gotten loose inside a spaceship and has been systematically killing the entire crew. Dr. Smithton and his group must find a way to exterminate these Creatures to ensure that they never make it to Earth. This task proves much more difficult than originally anticipated, because the Creatures are sentient and constantly learn and develop to protect themselves against all attacks.

The only issues I had with this book were relatively minor. The author uses a no-chapter format that is clearly explained in the beginning, separating scenes with asterisks instead of chapter headings. Despite the heads-up, I found myself getting confused at times because I missed the scene change and had to go back to the last asterisk. Also, the beginning of the book doesn’t seem to have the best connection to the rest of the story, feeling more like a long introduction that takes up the first third of the book. However, it does establish an important plot element and still sets the stage for the rest of the story, so I don’t regard it as a major problem.

Now, on to what I really liked: The descriptions in this book were amazing. The author was very good at giving just enough information about the escaped Creatures that it worries the reader, but at the same time keeping back information and revealing it gradually throughout the story. This creates the best feeling of suspense and fear for the characters in the reader, and is something that not many authors are able to do very well. I kept thinking throughout the book what the story would look like as a movie, and I think this book might be a good candidate for a film adaptation. Additionally, the interactions between the characters in this story are fascinating. Each of the characters, especially the main characters, have clearly defined personalities, goals, reactions, and weaknesses that distinguish them from the others. And the politics, the subtle maneuvering between the warring ambitions made me feel as if the entire story was a glorified game of chess, with each player trying to out-think their opponent.

Overall, there were a couple of minor issues, and some of the plot points were semi-cliché, but I think that Containment Breach was a really great book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars for its captivating storyline, characters, and writing style. If you are a science fiction, dystopian, or action/adventure reader, you will probably love this book. It’s a different type of story than the usual books in these genres, and as such opened my mind to the amazing possibilities that soon could break through the haze of identical and stereotypical plots in these genres.

Containment Breach
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kathryn Price's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really wanted to read this one, but I missed out on my chance to review it. I'm glad that you enjoyed it even if there were a few minor problems. It sounds like something that I would very much enjoy as it is my favorite genre. Thanks for the information! I'll have to look into it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like a very unique book. Sounds really frightening that the Creatures adapt so quickly to new types of threats. That would make them a formidable enemy. I think I would enjoy this more as a film than a book, but I'll keep it in mind.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This sounds like a great read for sci-fi fans. I enjoy dystopian stuff, but I think the combative element would put me off a bit. Always lovely to read an enthusiastic review, though, so thanks for that.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Kathryn Price wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 23:29 The author uses a no-chapter format that is clearly explained in the beginning, separating scenes with asterisks instead of chapter headings. Despite the heads-up, I found myself getting confused at times because I missed the scene change and had to go back to the last asterisk.
Yeah, that can get annoying. I remember what made reading Interview with the Vampire so difficult was that there were no chapters, no separations, no nothing. And it wasn't the kind of book you could finish in one sitting. Anyway, from your review this seems like a very interesting book. You wrote a really nice review.
LauraLeeWasHere
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere »

It's strange that this book is so loved by those that read it, but very few people are picking up the hint. I was captivated just by it's description from the author because it is currently up to be reviewed again.

So, thank you for the indepth review on both a technical and personal level. Your enthusiasm comes bursting through and fortunately you are a talented writer yourself so you could express to us exactly what you loved about it. I'm looking forward to many more of your reviews. Next to eating a good cookie, discovering a new great story-teller is my favorite thing.

Sincerely, Laura-Lee :character-cookiemonster: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
And they sang a new song saying,
"You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its to seals,
for You were slain and have redeemed us to God,
by your blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and Nation." Rev. 5:9
NKJ & KJV
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

While i agree on the quality of the way the author describes scenarios in the book, it didn't quite meet up the expectations that i had about it.
The lack of proper chapters was a little troublesome for me as well, and to be quite honest i am glad i was not the only one that had to come back to the last mark in order to figure out what was going on.
Thank you for your review. I think it is a pretty accurate description of the book.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”