Official Review: St. James Way by John McCarthy, MD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: St. James Way by John McCarthy, MD

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "St. James Way" by John McCarthy, MD.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens to a soul when someone dies? Is it possible for the deceased to speak to the living? St. James Way is a supernatural thriller by John McCarthy that addresses these questions and more. We follow George Elliott, a psychiatrist that has never put the pain of losing his brother behind him, even though the death was fifty years ago. After a series of personal and professional setbacks, George begins practicing hypnotherapy and past life regression, where he encounters a woman claiming to have been murdered by a demonic being hundreds of years prior. The evil entity is rumored to still be at large in Northern Spain. The stage is set for George, with the help of many others, to try to remove the evil forces that are lurking in St. James Way and around the world.

The book is presented in third-person, with alternating perspectives taking the lead at various times. Some of these narratives were woven seamlessly into the primary storyline, whereas others were completely irrelevant. As I read the first couple of pages, I felt enthusiastic about the writing, which was flowing and captivating. Unfortunately, that was a short-lived feeling. The bulk of the author's writing is robotic and bland, reading more like bullets on a memorandum than sentences in a novel. The characters are equally unremarkable, offering nothing to evoke an emotional response from the reader. The problems don’t end there, however. The dialogue is weakly constructed and not properly formatted, so it is often unclear who the intended speaker is. Grammar and punctuation were also major pitfalls for the author. Interestingly, the author uses some high-profile individuals as minor characters in his book, leaving me concerned about possible legal ramifications.

There is a bizarre sexual theme to this book; reader beware. Explicit content pops up in an untimely and awkward fashion, creating confusion and discomfort. Some scenes were appalling, as grotesque and disturbing sexual crimes were presented erotically. Most of the sexual content was gratuitous and distracting, doing no favors for the author or the book.

There were some ways in which I felt the author hit the intended target. The premise was creatively crafted and indeed frightening. There were times when the author seemed to find his groove, drawing me effortlessly into the story, as would any good thrill-writer. Additionally, he did a nice job of progressing the plot, never venturing off into sub-plots for too long.

I believe adjustments could be made to this book which would greatly increase the reader’s experience. Omitting unnecessary portions and employing professional editing services would be a good place to start. In its current condition, I can only rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I feel I must reiterate my previous mention of the disturbing and graphic sexual content contained in this book; it is not suitable for many readers.

St. James Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for your candid review. Graphic scenes are not suitable for me so I will pass. I commend you for reading till the end. Well done.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Thank you for your honest review of this. I generally like stories with a bit of a supernatural twist, but not material that is graphic like you explained. After reading your review, I am wondering if the author just took his original good idea and let it stand on its own two feet if that wouldn’t be better? Why did he feel the need to add all the other elements if it doesn’t lift up the storyline? It’s as if he was trying to “sell” the story that would have just been as good without all the other ideas. I am hoping he takes your advice because the first part of your review grabbed my attention, but the rest left me not interested.
Everything happens for a reason...
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

CambaReviewer wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:11 Thanks for your candid review. Graphic scenes are not suitable for me so I will pass. I commend you for reading till the end. Well done.
Hi,
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate the compliment, and good call on the "pass". :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

cpru68 wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 11:25 Thank you for your honest review of this. I generally like stories with a bit of a supernatural twist, but not material that is graphic like you explained. After reading your review, I am wondering if the author just took his original good idea and let it stand on its own two feet if that wouldn’t be better? Why did he feel the need to add all the other elements if it doesn’t lift up the storyline? It’s as if he was trying to “sell” the story that would have just been as good without all the other ideas. I am hoping he takes your advice because the first part of your review grabbed my attention, but the rest left me not interested.
Hi,
Thank you for reading. You have a good point. I'm really not sure what the author was aiming for here. I think it is very limiting for him to "sneak in" strange sex scenes. There is a decent story beneath the rubbish and I hope he can salvage it. Cheers
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It's a shame about the grammatical errors and less-than-pleasing writing, as the premise sounds fantastic. I'm not at all put off by graphic content - in fact, I LOVE it; the more, the merrier! - so that wouldn't be a problem for me. *sigh* Oh, well.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

MsTri wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 14:46 It's a shame about the grammatical errors and less-than-pleasing writing, as the premise sounds fantastic. I'm not at all put off by graphic content - in fact, I LOVE it; the more, the merrier! - so that wouldn't be a problem for me. *sigh* Oh, well.
Hi,
The errors made for a difficult read, unfortunately. The author is a doctor, so I was expecting a more polished outcome in the grammar department.
Thanks for commenting :)
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

It's such a shame when what could have been an interesting story is ruined by haste and poor editing. It makes me wonder who is willing to publish these works when they clearly need to be sent back for revision and proofreading.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

DancingLady wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 20:45 It's such a shame when what could have been an interesting story is ruined by haste and poor editing. It makes me wonder who is willing to publish these works when they clearly need to be sent back for revision and proofreading.
Hi,
I agree 100%! It's baffling to me that someone would put the time and effort into writing a book, but then not follow through on making it ready for an audience. I think the self-publishing boom has many non-writers trying their hand at something they may not be well-suited for. That's the impression I am left with time and time again.
Thanks for reading my review. Cheers
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

SABRADLEY wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 21:11
DancingLady wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 20:45 It's such a shame when what could have been an interesting story is ruined by haste and poor editing. It makes me wonder who is willing to publish these works when they clearly need to be sent back for revision and proofreading.
Hi,
I agree 100%! It's baffling to me that someone would put the time and effort into writing a book, but then not follow through on making it ready for an audience. I think the self-publishing boom has many non-writers trying their hand at something they may not be well-suited for. That's the impression I am left with time and time again.
Thanks for reading my review. Cheers
Sure seems that way. Since joining here I have noticed that even the really good books have more error than I can ever remember seeing in a printed book and the majority have a good handful of errors.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Not my genre, but even if it were, I don't think I'd be picking this one. Seems a bit weird to have one of the most famous pilgrimage routes in the world as a locus of evil. Well, thanks for sticking it out and informing the rest of us.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Yes! Some of these mysteries need answers. I'm glad this book has addressed this issue. I need to read this book.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 10:16 Not my genre, but even if it were, I don't think I'd be picking this one. Seems a bit weird to have one of the most famous pilgrimage routes in the world as a locus of evil. Well, thanks for sticking it out and informing the rest of us.
Good call :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems that the good doctor couldn't decide on the main plot for his book. He would do well to heed your suggestions. May he find the right way.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 04:28 It seems that the good doctor couldn't decide on the main plot for his book. He would do well to heed your suggestions. May he find the right way.
Haha! I think you're right. Thanks for reading and commenting. Cheers :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”