Official Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love a good murder mystery. I would never have suspected Pancake Money would be the title of a murder mystery though. I was thinking this would be something comical. It sounds like a pretty good book. I do struggle with graphic scenes, but can handle them reasonably well in a book where I can sort of block the visual from developing in my mind, unlike with a movie where I end up closing my eyes and asking someone to tell me the important things I missed. The detectives in a murder mystery are so important to my enjoyment of the story. It's them you have to stick with from front to back cover. I'm glad you approved of this pair. I enjoyed your review.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I dislike book on violent and murder. This review sounds good. I'll try and read this book if it'll work for me.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I clicked on this review because I found the title Pancake Money interesting, so I'm pretty sad that there are no pancakes involved :P Honestly, though, I love a good murder mystery, and the good characterisation you mentioned makes me want to pick up a copy of this book, despite its problems with the narrative voice you mentioned.

Thank you for your review, I found it really helpful! :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like an exciting and thought-provoking book. It's funny because the unusual title is what caught my attention in the first place.
Skplonk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skplonk.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Skplonk »

Loved this book but I agree about the title. Definitely could have been explained or referenced further. I was thinking "Money, Power or Sex?" could be a more fitting title as they touch on that a lot.
Serenflippity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenflippity.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Serenflippity »

I was very interested in this review as I'd selected Pancake Money as a volunteer reviewer (my interest piqued by the title), however I could not read it to the end. In fact, I didn't get very far due to the short sentence structure that made the reading experience choppy and jarring. Combined with repetitive and unnecessary text, it grated on my last nerve! And like you and other OBC members, I could not relate the title to the story.

Having read your review, I'm tempted to give it another go as I particularly enjoyed the character of the Forensic Pathology lecturer, Bowlby, and her insights into the human condition.

Thank you for an excellent review. I rate it a whopping 5 out of 4 stars. :tiphat:
A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.
-Gilbert K. Chesterton-
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

While there is some explanation of the title "Pancake Money" within the novel, I'm not so sure that it is an apt name for this work. However, it is quite catchy and different, and perhaps that is what the author was looking to achieve.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I just read another book by this author, The Easter Make Believers, and really enjoyed it. Guess I will have to check this one out too.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”