Review by alisonedgee -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alisonedgee
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by alisonedgee -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by alisonedgee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is a small town hidden in the mountains, steeped in history but falling apart. Recently the residents have started acting very unusually and it is up to Abigail Dressler to find the source of the demonic threat. But this demon is more powerful than anything she’s dealt with before. Enlisting the help of Haatim Arison, a young man she’s recently saved from demon worshipers, they must hurry to battle demons, literal and metaphorical, before it’s too late.

This novel is really, solidly, decent. Not exactly breaking new ground within the genre, it’s not a particularly new story, but it does feel like there’s an original take. It’s not just the same old supernatural flick you’ve read before. A little predictable in places but on the whole very enjoyable, very readable, and it kept me coming back for more. I finished this book in two sittings, it’s gripping, and yet easy to digest. I found myself wanting to know more, more of the story, about the characters, and just wanting to spend my time within this world of supernatural demons Cole has created. I rate this a respectable 3 out of 4 stars.

I would really commend the author on his world building, for me this was what I appreciated the most about the book. It was very well executed. As a reader you learn bits and pieces, and just at the right time. You’re never left in the dark for too long, sometimes a little bit for tension but that’s the point and it’s fine. We have a lead character who is new to the world also so we get to learn through his eyes, and exposition that comes through his learning of deeper meanings, so I really enjoyed that element.

My favourite pieces in the novel were actually the prologue and the interlude, giving us eyes into a part of the world that isn’t the main story, but supports it. The novel would still read well and make sense without these sections, but for the reader it gives us a broader and better-rounded view of the universe being created. I was aware at the start that this was the beginning of a series but it works as a standalone too. I enjoyed the first that I probably will read the rest, but I don’t feel that I have to, to get closure on the story from the first.

The only real downside for me would be that due to the title, I did expect to spend more time in the titular town. I still enjoyed the part before, it was all well written and entertaining, but just in the back of my mind there was a sense of ‘when’s it going to get there’, we finally arrive more than halfway through and it’s really more of the climax rather that the setting of the whole novel, which I think could come across as a little misleading and maybe put some people off.

Overall, very good, enjoyable, would recommend to a friend. I’ll keep my eye out for the rest of the series.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alisonedgee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”