Official Review: Myriad by Ernest. Barrett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Myriad by Ernest. Barrett

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Myriad" by Ernest. Barrett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to Webster's Dictionary, a myriad is "a countless or extremely great number". It can also refer to an amount of ten-thousand in particular. Well, there aren't quite that many tales in Ernest Barrett's compilation, Myriad, A Collection of Stories and Poems, which has a total of eight stories and thirteen poems included in the tome. Covering a number of story-lines, this book delves into the highest of highs and lowest of lows.

The first four stories in the book feature Detective Inspector Robert Laxton as he investigates a number of murders. My favorite of these mysteries was Justice Deferred, which finds the inspector seeking a serial arsonist. The mix of action and suspense was perfectly blended in this tale, as well as in the other three, but I never found myself on the edge of my seat or breathlessly anticipating what would happen next. Where the story – and all of the others in the compendium – falls short is in drawing the characters involved. While I liked the D.I. well enough, he was not written with enough depth for me to get fully invested in him as a person as well as detective. The same is true of all of the other characters in the book, including all of the antagonists. I also had trouble getting fully immersed in the tales because Mr. Barrett spent a lot more time telling rather than showing. I've never seen as many adverbs in one book as I have in this one. "Smilingly", for instance, was one word that grated on my nerves every time I saw it. I also wearied of the "surprised expressions" and "thoughtful looks" that everyone wore on occasion. Along those same lines, even though all of the characters spent ample time furrowing their brows, plucking their bottom lips, and stroking their chins, I never felt the tension that these actions were supposed to convey. Another pet peeve that I had with this section of stories was that every time D.I. Laxton went to leave his superior's office, he either remembered something or was stopped at the last moment. I fear that the author was taking tips from the television show Columbo and overdoing it. The one thing I did like about these tales was that the criminals all met with grisly ends, thereby appealing to my love of gore.

After the D.I. Laxton murder mysteries were a quartet of stories, all of which suffered from the same writing flaws as noted above. Of these four tales, my favorite was Catch of the Day, a story about a fisherman who catches something that he was certainly not expecting. This section of stories also included two lovely tales of love and a story about the travails that befall a couple as they take a journey on the husband's newly-renovated boat.

Following the eight stories were a baker's dozen of poems covering various topics, ranging from the author's love of Lincolnshire to thoughts about life to the celebration of holidays. Most of the poems rhymed and flowed well, thereby making them one of the best parts of the book. The poem I was most able to commiserate with was Lost Words, wherein the author bemoans the loss of inspiration obtained during the night due to his failure to write it down. The Pledge, which speaks to the sanctity of marriage, spoke to my emotions as well.

As much as I wanted to love this collection of stories, I just couldn't. In addition to the writing defects noted above, the tome was full of grammatical errors, including incorrect punctuation, missing words, extra words, and terrible syntax. As a reviewer, I'm required to note the first ten mechanical errors in particular, and I had all ten of them before the second page was done. I honestly think that the author just wrote the book and never proofread it. If he had, simple errors like "Thankfully they didn’t have an27y children" would have been caught with even the most cursory of once-overs. Other blatant missteps included sentences that seem to have been corrected or rewritten in midstream, such as "Laxton gave smiled and nodded his head as he opened his newspaper that he had bought whilst on the station platform". Similarly, there were many instances of "was sat at" and other similar phrases used in sentences. Another issue that made reading difficult was the mistyping of a character's name. For instance, in the story Troubled Waters, Betty's name was mistyped as "Beryl" at least twice. The book also included a few inconsistencies. In the tale Justice Deferred, one couple was noted as having lived in their former residence for four months, fourteen months, and eighteen months. The most egregious error, though, was found in the sentence, "Her resemblance to her mother Nancy was always a reminder to him. (See Blind Stab)" in the story Red Triangle, where the author takes us out of the story in order to indicate a different book he's written. Lastly, while the stories were all split into chapters, none of them noted Chapter One, but they all included the subsequent chapter headings. In addition, the story Catch of the Day was not listed in the Table of Contents, so it was a surprise when I got to it.

I had a really hard time settling on a rating for Myriad. While I noted many errors above, I do try to reserve one-star ratings for books that have zero redeeming qualities. Since I did feel that the stories were somewhat engaging, I'm giving this tome a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.

Despite the myriad of errors in this book, I am willing to recommend it to those who enjoy compilations, moderately suspenseful murder mysteries, and poetry, as long as you can overlook the missteps I noted. If you're squeamish, this is not the book for you, as there are many violent and gory scenes, including some involving rape.

Myriad
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Thanks for your thorough and honest review. It’s a pity the book was so poorly edited. It sounds like it has potential with a bit more work.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Hm! Sorry for the disappointment you had to go through, I will take your word as a answer. Thank you MsTri!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've been on a string of books lately that are just okay. I hope we both get better ones soon. Like you, I think I'd enjoy the criminals getting what they deserved. Nevertheless, it's not enough to make me pick this one up. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review. There is a lot of good, constructive criticism for the author to use in future works. It's a shame about the huge number of errors. I've read books like that, where I come across a ton of errors in the first few pages. I think the author could really benefit from the services of a good editior. Hope your next book is better!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

It's unfortunate this book was so inconsistent! If the author had spent more time making their stories coherent and well-edited, as well as relying less on some overused cliches, it sounds like the book would be much more enjoyable.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

MsTri wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 22:26
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It can also refer to an amount of ten-thousand in particular.
Wrinkle in the brain created! Who knew!? Thanks for the lovely review MsTri :D
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

“I'm required to note the first ten mechanical errors in particular, and I had all ten of them before the second page was done”

Argh! I feel for you! But at least you could then stop counting and just read. I’m really sorry you didn’t love it, because it sounds so varied and promising!
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:52 I've been on a string of books lately that are just okay. I hope we both get better ones soon. Like you, I think I'd enjoy the criminals getting what they deserved. Nevertheless, it's not enough to make me pick this one up. Thanks, though.
Thanks, K. I just did another review a couple of days ago, and that one also had a fair amount of errors and some other writing missteps, but it was better overall. The book I'm reading now also has some errors, but I'm LOVING the read, so we'll see!

And thanks for your comments, everyone. At least the content of the stories themselves was okay, hence the rating of more than one.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Thanks for including your personal rating preferences! As I was reading the review I was wondering what was good about the book, but you've explained that well. It really is a shame about the editing; I love a good mystery, but all the repeated nonverbal cues would have driven me up a wall. Thanks for such a great review!
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

What a bummer about the errors!! Hopefully the author takes this as a learning experience. Thank you for that honest review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

MsTri wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 22:26 I also had trouble getting fully immersed in the tales because Mr. Barrett spent a lot more time telling rather than showing. I've never seen as many adverbs in one book as I have in this one. "Smilingly", for instance, was one word that grated on my nerves every time I saw it. I also wearied of the "surprised expressions" and "thoughtful looks" that everyone wore on occasion. Along those same lines, even though all of the characters spent ample time furrowing their brows, plucking their bottom lips, and stroking their chins, I never felt the tension that these actions were supposed to convey.
I feel your pain. This must have been a really difficult collection to review - it sounds as though the author has some talent, but is in need of a good editor. Thanks for a clear and detailed review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”