Official Review: Dam Witherston by Betty Jean Craige

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Dam Witherston by Betty Jean Craige

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dam Witherston" by Betty Jean Craige.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dam Witherston by Betty Jean Craige is a murder mystery that follows Mev Arroyo, a detective in the small town of Witherston, and Jaime and Jorge, her twin sons. When a shack gets blown up and a skeleton is found in its ruins, they must investigate both this murder and a related blackmail case. Mayor Withers and attorney Grant Griggs, prominent figures in Witherston, are being blackmailed for large sums of money by someone using the alias of Donna Dam. This story takes place in the context of an overarching social conflict that threatens to change Witherston drastically, as Mayor Withers is attempting to build a dam that would create a lake over a large portion of land, including some Cherokee graves.

Many different plot elements are present in Dam Witherston, but they never feel overwhelming or confusing. This is largely due to the inclusion of several online articles posted on Witherston's online news bulletin, usually at the end of each chapter. Rather than merely summarizing plot events, though, these articles provide insight on what the residents of Witherston think and feel, leading to a better understanding of the community as a whole. This also serves to modernize the story, since technology is an important form of connection in today's world, even in small rural towns like Witherston.

Unity is an overarching theme in Craige's novel, alongside the preservation of nature and history. Emphasis is placed on characters' genes as a record of their personal history, and Craige has created a unique genetic composition for each of them, with the exception of the twins. This level of detail is quite striking. The idea of using modern technology to understand history plays into the book's overall themes very well, providing a level of depth that greatly improves immersion.

Since I received an advanced review copy of this book, it contained some minor grammatical errors. These weren't particularly distracting to the reading experience, though, and they probably won't be present in the final edition. Craige's writing style is compact and efficient, which allows the characters' words and actions to speak for themselves. I found this style very fitting, as the book is set in a rural town that has little use for formalities.

I greatly enjoyed reading Dam Witherston. The characters were unique and fleshed out, and it was clear that Craige knew the setting of the novel quite intimately. The mystery was exciting, and the broader social themes of the novel were tackled with respect. For these reasons, I rate Dam Witherston 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to lovers of murder mysteries, particularly anyone who is tired of stereotypical urban settings. Due to some sexual themes, it is not appropriate for younger audiences.

Dam Witherston
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the review. Mysteries don't usually intrigue me, but this sounds interesting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm curious who the body belongs to and how it got there. This sounds interesting, and I'm glad it talks about the preservation of nature as well as unity. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

Dam Witherston sounds very intriguing. I like the way Craige has paired a murder mystery with deep and meaningful themes such as history, technology, and the heady combination of the two. Usually murder mysteries tend to be lighter and lacking in themes such as these. I am quite excited to pick this up! Thanks for the review!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The plot sounds rather complex but I like that the author included some Native American issues within the story. It's always nice when this minority of people pops up in books. Thanks for the review.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I like the idea of a family investigation team. The inclusion of the internet articles at the end of the chapters is also very novel and clever.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

ViziVoir wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 21:48 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dam Witherston" by Betty Jean Craige.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dam Witherston by Betty Jean Craige is a murder mystery that follows Mev Arroyo, a detective in the small town of Witherston, and Jaime and Jorge, her twin sons. When a shack gets blown up and a skeleton is found in its ruins, they must investigate both this murder and a related blackmail case. Mayor Withers and attorney Grant Griggs, prominent figures in Witherston, are being blackmailed for large sums of money by someone using the alias of Donna Dam. This story takes place in the context of an overarching social conflict that threatens to change Witherston drastically, as Mayor Withers is attempting to build a dam that would create a lake over a large portion of land, including some Cherokee graves.

Many different plot elements are present in Dam Witherston, but they never feel overwhelming or confusing. This is largely due to the inclusion of several online articles posted on Witherston's online news bulletin, usually at the end of each chapter. Rather than merely summarizing plot events, though, these articles provide insight on what the residents of Witherston think and feel, leading to a better understanding of the community as a whole. This also serves to modernize the story, since technology is an important form of connection in today's world, even in small rural towns like Witherston.

Unity is an overarching theme in Craige's novel, alongside the preservation of nature and history. Emphasis is placed on characters' genes as a record of their personal history, and Craige has created a unique genetic composition for each of them, with the exception of the twins. This level of detail is quite striking. The idea of using modern technology to understand history plays into the book's overall themes very well, providing a level of depth that greatly improves immersion.

Since I received an advanced review copy of this book, it contained some minor grammatical errors. These weren't particularly distracting to the reading experience, though, and they probably won't be present in the final edition. Craige's writing style is compact and efficient, which allows the characters' words and actions to speak for themselves. I found this style very fitting, as the book is set in a rural town that has little use for formalities.

I greatly enjoyed reading Dam Witherston. The characters were unique and fleshed out, and it was clear that Craige knew the setting of the novel quite intimately. The mystery was exciting, and the broader social themes of the novel were tackled with respect. For these reasons, I rate Dam Witherston 4 out of 4 stars. I'd recommend it to lovers of murder mysteries, particularly anyone who is tired of stereotypical urban settings. Due to some sexual themes, it is not appropriate for younger audiences.

Dam Witherston
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Accept my appreciation on your fantastic review. You well manged a murder mystery with multi plots. I am almost new and inexperienced here, that's why reading some featured reviews. Yours was awesome so I had to comment on it.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This sounds like a book I would read. I enjoy murder mysteries, and the setting sounds good too.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”