Official Review: Snake Prayers by James Gish, Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Official Review: Snake Prayers by James Gish, Jr.

Post by Jude Austin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Snake Prayers" by James Gish, Jr..]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Snake Prayers is a horror novel by James Gish, Jr.

The main character Jack Outland is a drinker and a teacher. Upon hearing news of his father's death, he leaves his place in Ohio and returns to the family farm in Kentucky for the wake. The official cause of death is heart attack brought on by a snakebite, something which Jack is immediately suspicious about as his father has had plenty of experience dealing with snakes in the past. He hears about another, far more grisly murder involving a man having the top of his head torn off and his brain half eaten and becomes involved in trying to catch whoever's behind it, particularly when it starts to look like his father's death was no accident after all.

As the story progresses, people begin to report seeing deceased loved ones walking around and Jack's own sister is found to be heavily involved in a strange cult led by the charismatic Clydio. He starts to realize that while his father's death wasn't an accident, it definitely wasn't just a straightforward murder either.

For about the first quarter of the book, the story is disjointed and jumps from scene to scene without much in the way of a flowing plot. In some places, the chapters aren't even numbered; only the word CHAPTER is written. A couple of chapters are named, and the rest aren't. One character changes names mid-paragraph and then changes back without a word of explanation.

Spelling is average with several elementary mistakes sprinkled through the manuscript. This combined with poor grammar, syntax and punctuation make this book a struggle to read, particularly in the beginning. The author also tends to use capitals instead of italics and dialog is rather stilted and unnatural, with most characters never using contractions: eg, "I am" instead of "I'm"; "It is" instead of "it's".

There are a couple of nice turns of phrase in the book, but the writing in general is of below average quality with repetitive sentences such as "In the kitchen, he found eight cold Pepsis, and a tray full of ice. In the trunk of his car, he slipped a pint of Bacardi Light from out of the spare wheel well. In the kitchen, he introduced a tall tea glass to some of the ice." For much of the story, this kind of writing style is the norm. However, it must also be said that the characters are all unique and have their own distinct and believable voices and personalities, and the writer did a good job of making this reviewer care about them. The story arc is generally good as well.

When it comes to the rating, I have never regretted the lack of a half star system more than with this book. The characters are good and the story engaging, so it deserves a rating which reflects that. Unfortunately, the writing is generally of such an unprofessional quality and littered with enough elementary mistakes that the author is his own worst enemy here. If there were half stars available, this book would be rated 1 and a half stars.

Sadly, the writing problems mentioned occur so often and lower the overall standard of the work to such an extent that I can't honestly award this book any more than 1 out of 4 stars. I would love for the writer to come back and improve on it once he's had a chance to learn his craft a little more.

Snake Prayers
View: on Bookshelves

Like JudasFm's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Grisly murders, cults, snakes, walking dead—definitely horror material! Even if it were well written, I don’t think I would choose to read it. Thanks for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

What a shame, the concept sounds so promising! (If you’re into that kind of thing - horror is generally not for me due to nightmares:( )
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Jude Austin »

stacie k wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 00:20 Grisly murders, cults, snakes, walking dead—definitely horror material! Even if it were well written, I don’t think I would choose to read it. Thanks for an informative review!
You're very welcome! Thank you for your comment :) It's not extreme horror, but yeah, if you're not a fan of this genre it's best to steer clear ;)
londonmartine wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 07:01 What a shame, the concept sounds so promising! (If you’re into that kind of thing - horror is generally not for me due to nightmares:( )
I know. I agonized over my final rating so much; as I said, if ever a book deserved an extra half star, this is that book. I would have rated it 2.5 or maybe even 3 stars if the editing and writing had been up to scratch. It's such a shame when a potentially good story has to be marked down for something as easily fixed as SPG :(
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Your summary of the book sounded so interesting that I was rather sad you had to give the story such a low score. That's life, I guess. Someties you have to be harsh when you really don't want to.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Jude Austin »

AliceofX wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 07:59 Your summary of the book sounded so interesting that I was rather sad you had to give the story such a low score. That's life, I guess. Someties you have to be harsh when you really don't want to.
I know. It's such a shame when you have to rate a good story so low, just because the author made so many mistakes :( I really do hope he fixes them in the future.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I agree that unedited or natural writing in "private" messages and "informal" conversations are fine. I could also see your point that it shouldn't be the case for publications really meant to be shared, distributed or made public like this piece, too. I wonder what version of the book you happened to get. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”