Official Review: The last Assassination by James E Doucette

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: The last Assassination by James E Doucette

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The last Assassination" by James E Doucette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Assassination is a political action thriller by James E. Doucette. The assassin in question is actually two brothers, highly paid assassins who were born in Kurdistan and trained by the Israeli Mossad as deniable killers for hire.

Eventually, the brothers weary of living double lives; vengeance for their lost families has been achieved many times over, and they begin to think of settling down. Offered a high-paying job, they agree, this will be their last assassination.

A drone strike in Syria goes horribly wrong and an Iranian politician is murdered in Austria. Mark Plotnick, former Israeli Mossad agent and now lobbyist in Washington, D.C., knows they are somehow connected but can’t quite put the pieces together. Personally committed to finding answers because his son is the drone pilot about to be scapegoated by the higher-ups, he turns to an old friend in Israel to get to the bottom of the mystery. With allies and enemies both within the American government and around the world, Plotnick must use all his skills and ingenuity to solve the puzzle without further loss of life.

The plot of this book is brilliantly written and executed, with lots of twists and turns along the way. There were a couple of major surprises I really didn’t see coming, including one massive shock close to the end which flipped a lot of what I thought I knew on its head.

While I enjoyed the plot, I had some issues with the characterization and the pacing. The point of view flipped multiple times between characters, and there was never really one primary protagonist (or antagonist) for the reader to become invested with. A female character was introduced part-way into the book and seemed to suddenly become the most important character in it. And while the shock twist near the end was absolutely brilliant, I thought the ending itself was weak, with a number of loose ends not being addressed and leaving me with questions I felt the author should have addressed. I also found the anti-Arab bias evident in the author’s writing - not one single Arab character was portrayed as other than venal at best, villainous at worst - off-putting.

I found a few spelling and grammar errors in the book which a competent proofreader should have picked up, but I would suggest a round of content editing first to tidy up the pacing issues and tighten up the characterization. Fans of political thrillers such as those by Tom Clancy or Ben Coes will probably enjoy this one, but I’m afraid it had too many issues for me to award it more than three out of four stars.

The last Assassination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! I love twists and turns especially when they are unforeseen. It's too bad about the issues with the point of view and ending. I think that will keep me from reading this one, but I'm glad that you found it interesting nonetheless.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
harriton muhande
Currently Reading: Purgatory's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 107

Post by harriton muhande »

since am a politician, I have enjoyed the book, Though it contains a lot of crimes, it ha good moral teachings to politicians.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

While I enjoy a good action book now and again, your comment about pacing issues and characterization problems makes me wary. I'll consider reading this, but I'll probably prioritize other books over it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This story has all the ingredients to urge me, a lover of adventure thrillers to pick up a book and become engrossed right away. Great review.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh dear. This book had an interesting premise, but your issues with the characterisation and the seemingly racist point of view definitely keep me from picking up the book myself. I don't think I'll be reading this, but thank you for your review--it's been really helpful! :)
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

I enjoyed your review. It's a pity you didn't quite well enjoy reading it. I totally did. I love mystery books, and this one did it for me. Thanks for the angle you came from. You can check out mine later.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
JoshAtoms
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 45

Post by JoshAtoms »

Your review was spectacular. I have already pictured these two Assassins in my mind; How they looked and what they were.
Gilda_Octavo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilda-octavo.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Gilda_Octavo »

This type of story has a little appeal to me because in the first place,i don't really like politics in my cup.but even then, i find this interesting because of the actions,surveillance thing and clandestine operations involved.what i like most is to follow the fulfillment of the personal mission of the two brothers for their family and how the author turned their fate in the story.
Tfree
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 65

Post by Tfree »

Thank you for the very helpful and well-written review. I don't read "thrillers" much, but I enjoy getting a referral to a good one, and I particularly enjoy political aspects of a good story. Characters leading double lives tend to intrigue me, too, and the first chapter is really well-written, so I'm thinking this may be a nice break from my normal reading habits. Thanks for the heads-up.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

Good plot, bad pacing, unforeseen twist? A real mixed bag. Hmmm... thank you for a thorough review. I am still unsure about the book, but you certainly did a good job of reviewing it.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review: I have read the sample copy of "The Last Assassination" and think it is very interesting, but with many flaws. I enjoy reading action thrillers about paid assassins. And this book deals with political issues about paid assassins, and nations undermining each other without any care for human lives. I think most readers if they enjoy wartime politics will want to read it, and I am one of them. I would bypass the poor characterizations and enjoy reading it. Thank you for your excellent review.
C M
Currently Reading: Piazza Carousel
Bookshelf Size: 759

Post by C M »

We so appreciate the reviews from OBC. You all really know how to pull out what's important to the reader. This is going to be a great read. Your review is very informative and helpful. Thanks!
JFK4995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by JFK4995 »

I found your review unbiased and even with some of the objective 'negatives' still left me wanting to read the book on my own. Thanks for such a well-thought review. :D
Maemuna
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maemuna.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Maemuna »

The review shows that this book is much interesting and worth reading.
:D :D
I will definitely try to read the book

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”