Official Review: The Snake Charmer by Stuart V. Goldberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Re: Official Review: The Snake Charmer by Stuart V. Goldberg

Post by Poppy Drear »

MsTri wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 02:13 This sounds like a very intriguing read, as I've always been fascinated by true crime and other genres that include the legal profession and system. Add to that that I moved to Chicago in 2012, so the 80s was long before my time, and I'm interested in reading about Chicago then and comparing it with Chicago now. Thanks for the superb introduction!
I live near Chicago too, which is part of why I picked this one up! It was fun seeing mentions of some places I knew.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 09:12 This sounds like a really fascinating book - it's shocking to hear about bribery being rife in the system as recently as the 1980s. Curious choice of cover - I was expecting Sci-fi/Fantasy, or a children's book. Anyway, I don't know whether this one will be published in the UK, but I'll look out for it, thanks.
In a Chicago Reader article I read about Goldberg, they mentioned the odd cover. Apparently, Goldberg had already decided what he wanted it to look like, with the biblical theme and everything. There's a bit of an interesting story behind it, though the article's somewhat long.
jamm001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by jamm001 »

Crime/thriller is one of my favorite genre. I like the though the lawyer and crime around him just like the TV series I am currently watching. The thought that the characters in the book is inspired by the people known by the author is really interesting. In addition, understanding what other people thinks criminal or not is kind of fun for me to read. I like books that makes me think/analyze. Thank you for your insight! A really helpful review!
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think that the personal indulgence of the author contributes toward making the book sound realistic and must make it sound like a developed narrative. I like how you have worked on even the tiniest bit of the details. Great review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I appreciate the amount of information you put into your review. You covered everything. I especially liked your description of the excessive use of exclamation points. That is a pet peeve of mine, too. I was glad that you included the information about the setting in Chicago. Often reviewers leave out that information, but I feel it is important.
Your delight in the book was apparent.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”