Official Review: Secrets by Andrew Fox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Official Review: Secrets by Andrew Fox

Post by jennyd2003 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Secrets" by Andrew Fox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Secrets by Andrew Fox is a really good read. A murder mystery that was solved, only to be probed into once again.

The story opens with Oxford Hedgecock meeting with Scott Samson. Usually something normal when a former inmate meets with a PI except that we discover that Scott has just served twelve years in prison for the murder of Oxford's ex-wife, Wilma Radcliffe. Scott claims his innocence and begs Oxford investigate the murder. Oxford agrees only because he feels that Scott is innocent as he claims and has been setup. Thus, begins the story as we meet many people Wilma used to know and how they felt about her and her relationships with others. Finally, Oxford finds out who killed Wilma, but will he be too late or right on time?

Oxford is a man with a few demons. He drinks to forget unpleasant times such as Wilma's death. I believe he was still in love with her from the way he talks about her and remembers her. Oxford likes to take on the underdog and prove their innocence. He is a very good PI and sometimes finds what others miss. The police ask him to join them, but he prefers to set his own hours and be his own boss.

I really liked this book but was really surprised from the beginning. Scott wants to have his innocence proven even though he has already served the entire sentence. He chose the ex-husband to do so. I would think that if I needed a PI that I wouldn't choose a family member of the person I was said to have killed. Most likely they wouldn't help me since I killed their loved one. That's not true of Oxford though. He helps Scott out instead of turning him down.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the ending. I didn't like that it had to end because I liked it so much. It had a few bits in it that I thought moved slow or were unbelievable, but I got so drawn in that I didn't want it to end. I wanted to read more about what was going on in Oxford's life.

I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Near the end of the book Petra started being referred to as Preta. I think another round of proofreading would fix that. There were just a few errors otherwise that I noticed. Overall though the book read well and was very good.

Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jennyd2003's review? Post a comment saying so!
naughtygirl_7
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by naughtygirl_7 »

is there any love triangle in this story? why did he kill wilma in the first place? i wanna read more of it,before he got jailed.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

So the husband is convinced they convicted the wrong man but why didn’t he investigate more before the conviction? I agree this is a very odd situation and difficult to believe.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Thanks for the review! Sounds like an interesting take on the "falsely accused story." Glad you liked it!
"No way but forward!"

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”