Official Review: Spiders in Heaven by Jimmy Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Official Review: Spiders in Heaven by Jimmy Miller

Post by CaitlynLynch »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spiders in Heaven" by Jimmy Miller.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spiders In Heaven is a fictional portrayal of the formation and operation of a Small Kill Team, a group of snipers trained to protect US soldiers in combat from enemy snipers and IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices). Author Jimmy Miller is a former combat sniper and the book is written in the first person from the point of view of a Recon Scout Platoon Sergeant who is selected to choose and train a Small Kill Team in order to take down an enemy sniper plaguing the base. Unfortunately, military politics mean he is permitted to recruit only from secondary personnel including cooks, clerks and technicians. Making the best of a bad job, our protagonist puts together a team of misfits, but they are unable to find the sniper. Eventually, he is able to seek help from another sniper, known throughout the book only as the Chief, in achieving his team’s goals.

Miller obviously knows his stuff as regards military operations, but as a writer, he has some serious shortcomings. The book is full of jargon which would be incomprehensible to a non-military reader, only occasionally with an explanation attached. This alone could be fairly easily addressed, but it took me three-quarters of the book to figure out that it was set in Iraq, and I still don’t know in which city, or even which war. The Chief is an intriguing character who acts as something of a Zen master to the protagonist, but he also makes no sense a lot of the time. The title ‘Spiders In Heaven’ comes from a line spoken by the Chief, but it has no real context and doesn’t seem to make any sense; even the protagonist doesn’t seem to understand it, so I have no idea why it is the book’s title.

The text jumps between past and present tense continuously, sometimes even in the same sentence, and there are numerous spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. There is no flow or continuity to the story, with anecdotes being included that don’t seem to fit within the overall context. With the constant jumps between past and present tense, I was never sure in what order events were actually occurring.

There was one part of the book I actually liked, and that was a chapter of ‘letters’ written purportedly from the troops to their families, one of which included a really tragic and shocking story about the death of an Iraqi child. Unfortunately, this was never addressed again in the book, either in discussing the aftermath of the tragedy or describing the actual events which occurred.

This book needs properly fleshing out from what reads like a rough outline, followed by a major content edit and a thorough proofread. For example, I’d have used the ‘letters’ as endnotes to each chapter, making them the emotional counterpoint to the events of the book, showing how the troops were affected by their actions. The emotions of the protagonists are what engages readers with a book; we have to care about them, and I found it impossible to care about any of the characters in this book when their feelings were never shared with the reader.

It’s possible that with a lot of work, this could become a good story about snipers and their actions during war. In its present form, however, this is barely even readable, and I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone. I am awarding it one out of four stars.

Spiders in Heaven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CaitlynLynch's review? Post a comment saying so!
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

What a shame ... seems like it could be a good story. Thanks for the review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Eeks! A badly fleshed out plot and sub-par copy editing is the worst that could happen to a book.

Brilliant review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Jackie99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie99.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Jackie99 »

Very good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admit you lost me at military jargon. I don't enjoy trying to suffer through books where I can't understand the terms. Add the not so great writing and I'm defintely out. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jbluestocking2
Currently Reading: The Next Worship
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbluestocking2.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Jbluestocking2 »

I don't gravitate towards military themed stories, even if I could stomach the poor writing skills and sloppy editing. But I'm glad you mentioned the strengths of the book too, and even offered a thoughtful suggestion. Way to be encouraging!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Good review! It can be hard to struggle through jargon - and I wonder why the setting wasn't made clearer?! That just seems odd. I don't think this would be for me anyway, but I enjoyed your review, and I hope the author does some more work on it.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm not even a fan of military novels to begin with, so the many writing errors only served to turn me off even more. Even the cover looks unprofessional, though of course, that wouldn't inform my opinion alone. This is definitely a book I'll be avoiding.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”