Review by Maylisha -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maylisha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maylisha.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by Maylisha -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Maylisha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title of the Book: THE 11:05 MURDERS
Author :Brian O'Hara
Nature : Fiction

SUMMARY
THE 11:05 MURDERS, written by Brian is the second fiction of the Inspector Jim Sheehan's mysteries. The fiction tells a capital case that gives trouble to the forces of order. Indeed, a series of murders are surfacing, sowing fear, doubt and incomprehension in DISTRICT B, led by Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan. In addition to these mysterious murders perpetrated at the same time: 11:05, Detective Stewart, newcomer to the team faces anonymous harasser, a cumbersome, painful past and sentimental problems. Who is behind these murders? What are his motives? Can Denise and her teammates stop him from expanding his list of victims? Can Sergeant Denise trust Tom Allen who seems trustworthy or give Robert Turner a chance, charismatic enough? Between fear and determination, the manhunt is launched while the tracks get tangled and the clock continues to run.

About the book
What i like
First, i like the title, the world of ideas created by the story, the simplicity of language used by the author. Next, i like i little the cover page where we could see a strange man wearing a black suit and placed as background, a big clock where it is marked: 11:05. Finally, i like the situational irony we found by example at chapter thirty six, when Detective McCoy and Detective Connors come to arrest Ronnie Weir.

What i like most

Ronnie weir's arrestation at chapter thirty six, page 97:
(" you bastards," Weir gasped, " you will pay for this. I will have your jobs..." - " Yes, yes. You'll have our guts for garters" Connor said affecting weariness). The Irony was so funny!

What i like least

I like the cover page nevertheless i think that make it more spectacular. Next, there is a lack of flashback to increase the story's construction. And finally, i did not like the weakness of suspense and actions.

I rate this book 3 out of 4stars.
Why? The story could be more beautiful this is why i did not choose 4 out of 4. By instance, it would be a good idea to show the principals characters and/ or a scene of the story to increase the future reader's curiosity. Furthermore, i did not feel connection as i wanted to with the characters because the story is in third person. I did not rate it 2 out of 4 stars because i recognize that the story has a good spelling and grammar: use of dialogs tags, simple vocabulary, good presentation of the chapters, respect of punctuation. I like this book because the story is simple but pretty enough. There is humor, a little suspense, a certain painting of reality and the silent drama experienced by some. The characters are interesting. I especially appreciated intelligence and insight demonstrated by Sergeant Denise with the help of understanding Chief Sheehan. Finally, i can give theses suggestions: the use of structured flashback could help to increase the quality of the text. When you are writing a story, ask yourself about how you could make it different than another. Remember that you have to create a world of ideas and actions, where there is place for imagination.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Maylisha's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”