Review by Emily e Morse -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily e Morse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-e-morse.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Review by Emily e Morse -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Emily e Morse »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It seems fate would have Abigail cross paths with Haatim during what he believed were his darkest days, only to introduce him to a world darker than he ever could have imagined. We follow Abigail Dressler, a demon hunter, along with Haatim Arison, into the realm of the paranormal as she is called upon by The Council to investigate strange goings on in Raven's Peak while also striving in secret to find answers to the where-abouts of her dear friend and mentor along the way. As well as this, Haatim delves deeper into this world that he has been none the wiser about being more connected to than he ever knew. As Abigail and Haatim encounter numerous foes, we learn just how powerful demons can be and what secrets they hold.

I found Raven's Peak to be extraordinarily appealing to my stranger side, however, there was an inconsistency with the demons’ power being that one particular demon seemed to react very little to physical attacks, as if it felt little to no pain unless a blessed object was used against it, while another barely reacted to blessed objects, but was brought down with blunt force. At times, I felt I wasn’t entirely sure these demons were as powerful as they made them out to be in first learning of them.

I was particularly surprised to find that, given the nature of demons and the like, there was little to no sexual vulgarity in Raven's Peak aside from one moment when a couple appear to be “copulating” in the street, which Haatim encounters and moves past very quickly. Violence is prevalent and can be a bit disturbing to some individuals to visualize. I did not find this to be off-putting as I felt it added to the story's urgency and danger.

In the end, I consider Raven's Peak to be a fun and fascinating book to experience. From the powerful action sequences to the moments of exhaustion and vulnerability, I could almost feel everything that the characters were feeling. One such moment was when Haatim meets his first demon in all of its grotesque glory and I could feel his spine tingling fear and the sickly, sinking feeling of coming to the realization that something horrible that was once believed impossible is now becoming real. Another factor I found quite entertaining was the gender role reversal that Abigail and Haatim appeared to display; Abigail was like the knight in shining armor and Haatim was a damsel in distress, so to speak. It was a breath of fresh air, but I can’t wait to see what Haatim becomes further in this series.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Raven’s Peak may not be appreciated by readers who do not have a palate for science fiction, violence, or religion, but I did not notice any grammatical errors, I found the plot enjoyable and easy to get into, and I believe it would be appealing to just about anyone that is fascinated by the paranormal and demonology.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emily e Morse's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”